56 replies to this topic

#21 simon from oxford

simon from oxford

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 01:56 PM

Richard Bean has been working on this project for well over 5 years - and it amazing that Hynter allowed it to be programmed when it clearly was not ready.

I know Bean is riding high following the success of One Man - but if the script was really that far off being complete, it should not have been programmed.

#22 musicalfan

musicalfan

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 02:12 PM

They should have done the six man (including a few women) version that was at the West Yorkshire Playhouse a few years ago that starred Daniel Rigby: t'was hilarious and moving in equal measures, and although I haven't read the novel or seen the films, still made perfect sense and was followable. I'd love to see them return either His Dark Materials or Coram Boy, for the selfish reason that I never got to see them, but I doubt it would happen.

#23 RH1234

RH1234

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 06:32 PM

Fela again?

#24 Reich

Reich

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1028 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 11:21 AM

View PostLynette, on 19 June 2012 - 05:25 PM, said:

Isn't it refreshing that they realised something wasn't ready?

LOL. I shouldn’t laugh at the truth but ...

Dam I was actually looking forward to this. I wonder what can be programmed  in time for Christmas. Has Nicky got anything else he can scale up from the cottesloe?! Or perhaps it will be shakespeare or he may even have to stage a musical :D

Broadway has been very good to me. But then, I've been very good to broadway.

#25 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2542 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 07:34 PM

Madness to cancel, so replace it with Our House.

#26 Cardinal Pirelli

Cardinal Pirelli

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 09:13 PM

If they wanted to stick with Dumas the Ken Ludwig adaptation of The Three Musketeers is good fun.

In fact, I believe Tim Sheader directed it at Bristol Old Vic about five years ago, it'd be a nice lead in to Monte Cristo if it happens too.

#27 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1240 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 06:23 AM

It provides an interesting insight into how the NT works with what is in effect a new play, with a show advertised and tickets sold and a director engaged without even a first draft of the script having been handed in - maybe that is common practice but it seems strange - I'm hinting that maybe Nicholas Hytner and his favoured team have become just a little bit too comfortable and complacent after their many years in control.

#28 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2542 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 06:36 AM

Alan Ayckbourn.

#29 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3760 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:19 AM

As a suggestion for a replacement y'mean? They've done Season's Greetings, but there's always Absurd Person SIngular, for the Xmas theme. However Chichester's doing that this summer, so they may not get the rights.

#30 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1240 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 11:42 AM

View PostPharaoh, on 22 June 2012 - 09:19 AM, said:

As a suggestion for a replacement y'mean? They've done Season's Greetings, but there's always Absurd Person SIngular

The Count was specifically aimed at a youth audience, The recommended age range was 10+, for that reason they should replace it with another "family" (dread word) show. When I was visiting NT at the weekend a visitor was berating a hapless box office staffer about the dearth of children's theatre at NT, that is not strictly true (and we have Katie Mitchell's "Hansel and Gretel" to look forward to, if that is the phrase I want) but replacing it with a middle-aged middle-class (Guilty !) drama is not acceptable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users