13 replies to this topic

#1 shiningstars

shiningstars

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 09:33 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm just after some advice please smile.gif ....

I'm sure this question has been asked loads of times, but I couldn't find what I needed on past posts, so anyway, I really want to do some work experience this summer, unpaid of course, because I will have just done my A levels so I have a long holiday, but even a week or two would be great.

I'm not born until mid August and so won't be 18 until then, do you think theatres would accept me at 17? Or should I aim to get some after my birthday instead?

Also, where do you start with applying for work experience? I've asked around my local theatres and they say they sometimes take people on and I should write to them, so do I send a CV saying my previous experience or do I just send a nice letter? Or a mixture...

Do London theatres ever accept work experience people? I'd be happy to commute (London's not too far), but is there any point in sending letters to dozens of west end theatres when they are probably bored of getting those letters and throw them in the bin, is it a waste of time and stamps?

Does anybody know any theatres that do it? I'm interested in all aspects of theatre as I haven't decided what i want to do and I'm getting a 'normal' degree first (that's a whole different matter- don't worry I know what I'm doing!).

Thanks for any help at all, as you can tell I don't know much about this!!

biggrin.gif

#2 Guest_88_*

Guest_88_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2009 - 11:09 PM

In my experience West end theatre's don't tend to take people for work experience. I did some work experience at my local theatre when I was at school, New Victoria Theatre in Woking so it's a professional theatre and a good way to start some exprience in a professional environment. I work there now part time whilst studying.

It also depends alot in what you actually want to get experience in. It's one thing getting experience front of house and another back stage.

It's worth sending off a CV and cover letter so they know as much about you as possible. Hope you hear back from someone good luck.

#3 David

David

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 04:13 PM

Both the New Vic (Newcastle-under-Lyme) and Birmingham REP have Work Experience schemes.
The RSC has a wide range of placements for different age bands.
Most West End theatres won't take you, though some will probably decline politely. The subsidised world is more interesting anyway, I think, because you stand more chance of seeing process.
Go for producing theatres- The National won't take under 18s, but the Royal Court used to. I would expect the Young Vic to, but that's a hunch rather than a conviction. Good luck.

#4 Laughingmonsta

Laughingmonsta

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2424 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 10:32 PM

Most regional reps have a work expereince scheme - worth checking with your local rep!
This is my street, I smile at the faces I've known all my life, They regard me with pride.

#5 shiningstars

shiningstars

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 07:42 PM

Thank you smile.gif that's all really helpful, I'll have a look round.

Just one more thing, when should I start applying for work experience for July time? Is now too early, or will it get 'booked up' if I wait any longer?

And also, do I state when I want it when I write to the theatres, or is that too fussy?!

Thank you biggrin.gif

#6 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2009 - 07:27 PM

QUOTE(shiningstars @ Jan 18 2009, 07:42 PM) View Post
Thank you smile.gif that's all really helpful, I'll have a look round.

Just one more thing, when should I start applying for work experience for July time? Is now too early, or will it get 'booked up' if I wait any longer?

And also, do I state when I want it when I write to the theatres, or is that too fussy?!

Thank you biggrin.gif

Why don't you try some of the drama schools.  I know they take work experience students.

#7 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2009 - 08:33 PM

The New London used to take work experience students back in the dim and distant past. I did it there about 15 years ago, and it was amazing - Cats was on then.  They were booked up over a year in advance though!  You did everything, Box Office, FoH, SM, LX, Wardrobe etc, and I did an extra day with stage management and sat next to the DSM while they called the show - even got to do a few myself!

#8 elphy

elphy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 10:39 PM

QUOTE(Guest @ Jan 21 2009, 07:27 PM) View Post
Why don't you try some of the drama schools. I know they take work experience students.

what would you as work expericne in a drama school? teach?

#9 lovestheatre

lovestheatre

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 07:56 AM

I have just been offered work experience from the touring production of Private Peaceful, I get to meet the stage maneger and actor and everything and watch their get in day at the Bloomsbury Theatre, I would say emailing the production companies, that is what I was told to do by one of the Really Useful Theatre Group people.

Their email addresses of the productions are nearly aways on the official websites.

#10 meerkat

meerkat

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 01:45 PM

When my daughter was applying for May work experience when she was in year 10 at school ( 15 yrs) she contacted all the London theatres and theates in the South in the October before. The Really useful group doidnt take anyone under 18 years for elf and safety reasons/ insurance etc. Some of the other theatres had already taken their allocation.
In the end she gained a place at the Yvonne Arnaud in Guildford and had a great time.

Just remembered somrthing important!
With all the best intentions ( albeit naive) I emailed one theatre on her behalf to help speed up the process and got the reply that she would now not be considered as the contacting was all part of the experience- which was fair enough-
I know I could be a lion tamer,
I've always gotten along with cats

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users