• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#41 Brujon

Brujon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:00 AM

ha, keep guessing which role Lily Fraser would play and is Demeter!

#42 MrTumnus

MrTumnus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:18 AM

Was at Edinburgh last night.
19 years since I last saw the show and I'm glad to say that it has lost none of it's impact.
Forget The Lion King and Ghost, this will be the touring production of the year.
I can't think out of the box as I don't have a box to start with.

#43 mrtheatre123

mrtheatre123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 996 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:00 PM

Ah brilliant can you tell us any more, what set like, is it a  cheap touring set and what the cast like?

#44 tommo2k

tommo2k

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:05 PM

The set is the same as previous tours from what I have seen on twitter pics.

#45 MrTumnus

MrTumnus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:41 PM

The set didn't look cheap and the big stage at the Playhouse was well filled.
Choreography was very tight for a start of a tour.
Cast - for me the strength of Cats is the chorus work behind the featured Cat and this is excellent through-out.
As for individuals -
Victoria (Alicia Beck) was the top of my list.
Coricopat & Tantomile (Richard Astbury & Lizzi Franklin) were in perfect sync through-out and you were continually drawn to them.
Grizabella (Joanna Ampil) looked too young for me but I was front row so she probably looked older further back. She nailed Memory.
Rum Tum Tugger (Oliver Savile) underplayed the role IMO and didn't have great stage presence as a result.
Munkustrap (Ben Palmer) great performance, best singer in the show.
Old Deuteronomy - sang well but was not 'old' enough in his movement for me.
Bustopher Jones/Gus (Paul Monaghan) both good performances with Gus shading it.

Staff were very relaxed about taking pictures of set before show and at half-time, my daughter has a few photos so I'll post one soon. Only a few children got to meet Old Deut as the staff didn't seem organised. Lots of disappointed children. Get down to the front as soon as the lights go up if you want his autograph/photo/cuddle.

#46 mrtheatre123

mrtheatre123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 996 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:23 PM

View PostMrTumnus, on 13 February 2013 - 01:41 PM, said:

The set didn't look cheap and the big stage at the Playhouse was well filled.
Choreography was very tight for a start of a tour.
Cast - for me the strength of Cats is the chorus work behind the featured Cat and this is excellent through-out.
As for individuals -
Victoria (Alicia Beck) was the top of my list.
Coricopat & Tantomile (Richard Astbury & Lizzi Franklin) were in perfect sync through-out and you were continually drawn to them.
Grizabella (Joanna Ampil) looked too young for me but I was front row so she probably looked older further back. She nailed Memory.
Rum Tum Tugger (Oliver Savile) underplayed the role IMO and didn't have great stage presence as a result.
Munkustrap (Ben Palmer) great performance, best singer in the show.
Old Deuteronomy - sang well but was not 'old' enough in his movement for me.
Bustopher Jones/Gus (Paul Monaghan) both good performances with Gus shading it.

Staff were very relaxed about taking pictures of set before show and at half-time, my daughter has a few photos so I'll post one soon. Only a few children got to meet Old Deut as the staff didn't seem organised. Lots of disappointed children. Get down to the front as soon as the lights go up if you want his autograph/photo/cuddle.

Thanks so much for such a detailed reply and would love to see a pic whenever you have a chance to post :)

#47 MrTumnus

MrTumnus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:16 PM

Old Deut at the intervalAttached File  Cats4.jpg   146.26K   78 downloads

#48 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3378 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:36 AM

Not everyone agrees. Sounds like, as feared. its just the old tour going out again

http://m.stv.tv/ente...urgh-playhouse/

#49 n3mis3s

n3mis3s

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:02 PM

View PostTitan, on 14 February 2013 - 11:36 AM, said:

Not everyone agrees. Sounds like, as feared. its just the old tour going out again

http://m.stv.tv/ente...urgh-playhouse/

i distinctly Disagagree. having seen the show a number of times through the years. i found this tour too be in the best shape a UK Tour has ever been in, yes its the same set (which has been highly refurbed too the best standard) but everything else is brand new including 90% of the company. bringing fresh life to an "old" peice, cats will always be an old show its nearly 30. far older than les mis and Phantom. but this company was something to behold. its been packing out the Playhouse (the biggest UK house) for 3 weeks - 1st 2 perfs sold out as was the 2 on saturday 16th and 23rd it was full of life, spunk and talent. joanna ampil whilst too young gave the most haunting rendition of memory iv ever heard bringing tears too my eyes. the company is outstanding full of young vibrant new dancers. one flaw, the Victoria did not have a full extention for her solo. but her face, my my she is the classic virginal White cat. and her talent is out of this world. i think this tour will most deffo walk staright back into london as soon as the 14 mnoths are up. and will last a few years in a nicley sized and priced London House. - really the memory does live on...

#50 FireFingers

FireFingers

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:34 PM

Why mess with a classic? Their are no problems with the traditional style production, so why change it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users