22 replies to this topic

#11 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5150 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 09:42 AM

I quite often see plays I know very little about. Isn't that part of the pleasure? After all, who knew about Hamlet the first time it was played?

#12 Latecomer

Latecomer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1668 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 01:19 PM

View PostLynette, on 29 June 2012 - 09:42 AM, said:

I quite often see plays I know very little about. Isn't that part of the pleasure? After all, who knew about Hamlet the first time it was played?
I agree. Went to see Stoppard's The Real Thing last week and it was quite a puzzle for a while but I enjoyed being surprised and the penny dropping! I hate it when the critics give away the whole damn plot beforehand! Or the programme tells you the gist. I reckon if a play needs explaining beforehand then it has a problem.

#13 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2542 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 01:26 PM

View PostKevinUK, on 28 June 2012 - 11:13 PM, said:

- so I asked for tickets to see them too: no idea what they are about, only remember that 1 is called Kiss and Kate and is a musical. Lord knows what the other one is.

The other is called Hedda Gabler, so it could be the tale of a roofer with a passion for football. I think you've got quite a good strategy, sticking loyally to theatres that have served you well on your previous attendances.

#14 Abby

Abby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 05:30 PM

View PostKevinUK, on 28 June 2012 - 11:13 PM, said:

When I bought this ticket it was the day after they announced their two new shows - so I asked for tickets to see them too: no idea what they are about, only remember that 1 is called Kiss and Kate and is a musical. Lord knows what the other one is.

Kiss Me Kate - I believe it charts the rise, fall and rise again of the royal romance through the tunes of Richard Clayderman.

Saw this today and found it really interesting - though I probably would have found it equally interesting as a lecture. Agree that it isn't very dramatic and it didn't conjure up time and place particularly evocatively, but it was well acted and didn't drag.

#15 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 06:47 AM

View PostLynette, on 29 June 2012 - 09:42 AM, said:

That would be The Tragedy of Hamlet, Prince of Denmark. I imagine most of the audience would have worked out it wasn't another comedy...Plus, isn't there a lost play it's supposedly based on?

There's a difference between knowing little and not knowing anything at all but perhaps that's just me.  I don't want to know the whole plot but I'd be very unlikely to see a play unless I know the basic subject matter except on occasions when I've  been corralled in amdram by someone involved. But I wouln't pay WE prices without a bit of research (well, I'd book for anything with SRB but I'd still know what it was about before I went)

#16 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5150 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 05:40 PM

Never taken a kid to a play then? Marvellous to see the reaction to what you have taken for granted.

#17 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 05:49 PM

View PostLynette, on 08 July 2012 - 05:40 PM, said:

Never taken a kid to a play then? Marvellous to see the reaction to what you have taken for granted.

But the kid doesn't pay for the ticket :lol: I'm not talking about knowing every plot twist but I'd probably tell the kid that the play was about horses in a war or something like that.   I'm just surprised anyone would book a play they know nothing about (especially as the Old Vic name isn't exactly a guarentee of quality :o )

#18 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2542 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 06:09 PM

Armadillo probably hasn't booked for Caryl Churchill's Love and Information at the Royal Court, so may miss a rewarding experience. It was interesting that the Royal Court didn't reveal the nub of Birthday before the first public performance. It's easy to wrongly imagine how a play will develop when you know just a few things in advance: 2 + 2 = 5...

#19 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 06:24 PM

View PostHonoured Guest, on 08 July 2012 - 06:09 PM, said:

Armadillo probably hasn't booked for Caryl Churchill's Love and Information at the Royal Court, so may miss a rewarding experience. It was interesting that the Royal Court didn't reveal the nub of Birthday before the first public performance. It's easy to wrongly imagine how a play will develop when you know just a few things in advance: 2 + 2 = 5...

I have actually :o. I booked for both the Cottesloe  Mike Leigh plays too (which has rather put me off complete surprises :lol:) I don't want to know everything about a play, of course not. I just wouldn't go to see a play I knew absolutely nothing about and then be surprised that it wasn't the light-hearted affair I expected.

#20 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5150 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 06:31 PM

View PostHonoured Guest, on 08 July 2012 - 06:09 PM, said:

Yes but most of us on this board have telepathic knowledge. I have missed one or two good uns because my antennae failed but on the whole I get it right.

Also tagged with Old Vic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users