22 replies to this topic

#21 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2542 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 07:11 PM

One big reason why I usually go to arts events on my own is that I otherwise feel pathological responsibilty for companions' adverse reactions.

I remember, as the lights dimmed for the start of Pinter's harrowing Mountain Language, the woman behind me chirped to her companion: "I wonder what it'll be like. Do you think it'll be funny?"

#22 dude-1981

dude-1981

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 11:48 AM

I make it my business to know as little as possible about something before I go in.  I read not the blurb, nor a review and ideally I won't see a production photo beforehand.  I went into Birthday unspoilt.  I did not know what Democracy was about and only discovered A Walk On Part was about Chris Mullin's diaries because someone at work mentioned it when I said I was going.

I do read the blurb for upstairs at the RC these days to make sure I generally avoid the ones about war or human rights.  Seen enough of those at the moment.
If, for some strange reason you care what I've seen, it's all here:

http://pcchan1981.livejournal.com/

#23 Whenindisgrace

Whenindisgrace

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 01:46 PM

View Postdude-1981, on 09 July 2012 - 11:48 AM, said:

I make it my business to know as little as possible about something before I go in.  I read not the blurb, nor a review and ideally I won't see a production photo beforehand.  I went into Birthday unspoilt.  I did not know what Democracy was about and only discovered A Walk On Part was about Chris Mullin's diaries because someone at work mentioned it when I said I was going.

I do read the blurb for upstairs at the RC these days to make sure I generally avoid the ones about war or human rights.  Seen enough of those at the moment.

Interesting.  So on what basis do you make your choices?  Or do you try to see almost everything?  Does that apply just to new plays or classics too? What would make you go and see one production of Hedda Gabler or Hamlet over another?  The actor?  Director?  Questions asked in a genuine spirit of curiosity.

I can see that in an ideal world we would know almost nothing about a new play or film, but given that we can't see everything, we need something to base our choices on.

Also tagged with Old Vic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users