9 replies to this topic

#1 itsuckstobeme

itsuckstobeme

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:16 AM

Had a look at the seating options for this and it's either unreserved or standing, both rubbish options. Hmm what to do....

#2 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2542 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 11:53 PM

Standing tickets are inexpensive. Unallocated seating has the advantage that you can't blame the venue if you're unhappy with your seat. Karma karma karma ...

#3 jp89

jp89

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 12:23 PM

I was looking forward to this until they announced who was playing Leigh Bowery this morning! The rest of the cast sounds great, but when I read 'Samuel Buttery' to play Bowery that's put me right off.

He was terrible on The Voice. This part needs a good actor. When Matt Lucas played it, he acted it so well. There must be other actors out there who could play the part. I can think of a few straight away.

I don't think I'll bother seeing it now. Joke.

#4 Jamiem

Jamiem

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 01:46 PM

And the producer of this produced....never forget to pay your bills?

#5 jp89

jp89

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 06:49 PM

he must be desperate for work. it's paying £300 a week! awful.

#6 Jamiem

Jamiem

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 07:13 PM

And Chris renshaw coming out of retirement to direct....will he get it right this time?

#7 RogerHammerstein

RogerHammerstein

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 03:44 PM

Lots of negativity, I reckon it'll be decent! Paul Baker returning? He was fab last time around

#8 MS1995

MS1995

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 11:11 PM

I have just got back from this after having got a free ticket, and I have to say I was really impressed!!!

To start with I should point out that I knew very little about this show before tonight, but I thought musically it was excellent and the band were terrific. The direction was excellent and I was even drawn to tears at one point.

As far as the performances go, Paul Baker was a terrific Philip Sallon, getting just the right balance of slutty, creepy and camp, but also showing a certain level of vulnerability.

Matthew Rowland looked uncannily like Boy George, and gave an emotionally very strong performance, however his voice didn't fit the part of Boy George quite as well as his voice, but he still was very strong vocally.

Adam Bailey was playing Marilyn, and if it wasn't for the lack of boobs I could quite easily have mistaken him for a woman, and you could feel the jealousy and pride coming through from a surprisingly emotionally charged part.

Sam Buttery was so nearly good as Leigh Bowery, and he was excellent in certain scenes, but he was just a bit too static in the others, he didn't come across as someone truly eccentric as he wasn't acting eccentrically!

Alistair Brammer was a wonderful Billy, perfectly acted as you could see the confusion, worry and fear in his eyes, but if I am nitpicking I would say his voice sounded a bit too rounded and Musical Theaterey on some notes!

Finally... Niamh Perry as Kim... What can I say? Perfection... Her voice soared to the high notes and I don't just love how she hits all the notes, but the tone of her voice is beautiful. Her acting was emotionally charged and has come so far since she was on I'd do anything where her acting was questionable. And just to top it off at the end she danced on my table, tickled my chin and blew me a kiss!!! (which i promptly did back)

Overall it was an excellent production and it comes highly recommended to everyone who enjoys the show or is just interested in finding out about it!
2002: Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
2004: Joseph And The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat
2008: Mamma Mia
2009: Sound Of Music, Les Miserables, The Woman In Black
2010: Wicked
2012: Wicked, Chicago, Legally Blonde, Ghost, Wizard Of Oz, Phantom Of The Opera (UK Tour), Matilda, Sweeney Todd, Taboo (Brixton), Wicked, Wicked
2013: Lift (Soho), The Book Of Mormon, Avenue Q (Off-Broadway), Newsies (Broadway), Wicked (Broadway), Pippin (Broadway), The Lion King.
PLANNED
2013: A Chorus Line, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, We Will Rock You (UK Tour), Wicked (UK Tour), Charlie And The Chocolate Factory, Wicked, Les Miserables, Wicked

#9 itsuckstobeme

itsuckstobeme

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 12:21 PM

How was the seating arranged? Where abouts are you if you stand ?

#10 jaqs

jaqs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 12:37 PM

Its a catwalk like stage with rows to the sides facing the end of the room not exactly the stage directly, making lots of short rows rather than long ones, the bar which is behind one set of seats is also in use.
The tables are at the front of the room (both sides?).
People were standing in front the bar towards the door (which is also used during the show) but everyone was seated last night.

I was sat towards the back and thought it would be pants (arrived told to go away and the queue was all down the high street when returned, its hard to manage given there was a clubnight going on upstairs so the queues can get confused) but it was great and I didnt miss much, there are a couple of pillars one blocked some action by the bar for me.

Its a fabulous show, very strong cast, wonderful costumes and the venue is absolutely perfect for it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users