44 replies to this topic

#1 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3760 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 02:17 PM

Uncle Trev is busy isn't he? Kiss Me Kate, All That Fall and now A Chorus of Disapproval, at the Harold Pinter Theatre from Sept, with Rob Brydon, Nigel Harman and Ashley Jensen (never heard of her). Another Ayckbourn revival, and even more if Relatively Speaking moves in from Bath.

Sonia Friedman produces, with over 100 £10 per performance (sounds familiar, no?). These will be in the balcony, and other restricted view seats (of which there are many in the HP), plus the front row (I think) for dayseats.

#2 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2542 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 02:57 PM

Ah, this has reminded me of the late great Bob Peck who played the lead in the London premiere. He moved into our village while playing Macbeth and Bond's Lear at Stratford and confided in his next door neighbour that he'd become aware of a regular intruder around their two properties in the middle of the night. After a little questioning, his neighbour was able to inform him that he was being awoken by the milkman.

#3 Theatrebunny

Theatrebunny

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 03:38 PM

Wow Pharaoh, thanks for keeping us all in the loop!

So pleased to hear about all these Ayckbourn revivals. He is one of our greatest living writers and deserves to be celebrated.

I love Rob Brydon and sounds like a part he'll relish. Ashley Jensen was amazing in Extras and Ugly Betty.

Gonna get myself one of those £10 tickets again . . . .

Seriously LOVE being in London!

#4 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3760 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 03:46 PM

I'd wait and dayseat it. Front row at the HP is pretty good. Or the trusty pillar seat, which is a tenner for this one. Not too bad.

So someone has heard of Ashley Jensen: just me being out of touch.

#5 Dragononmyback

Dragononmyback

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 03:46 PM

This sounds good - I've booked for the 17th Nov.

#6 Whenindisgrace

Whenindisgrace

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 04:30 PM

Yes, this is the most exciting Ayckbourn revival since the Norman Conquests at the Old Vic, and another feather in the cap for the West End.  It doesn't seem so long since we were reading jeremiads from Michael Billington et al about the state of the West End.  With this and the Grandage season coming up, lots of recent transfers from the Old Vic, the Royal Court, the National, Chichester and the RSC, many of new or at least recent, plays, the West End is looking rather healthy at the moment.

#7 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:51 PM

View PostPharaoh, on 28 June 2012 - 02:17 PM, said:

Uncle Trev is busy isn't he? Kiss Me Kate, All That Fall and now A Chorus of Disapproval, at the Harold Pinter Theatre from Sept, with Rob Brydon, Nigel Harman and Ashley Jensen (never heard of her). Another Ayckbourn revival, and even more if Relatively Speaking moves in from Bath.

Sonia Friedman produces, with over 100 £10 per performance (sounds familiar, no?). These will be in the balcony, and other restricted view seats (of which there are many in the HP), plus the front row (I think) for dayseats.

Ashley Jensen was great as Ricki Gervais's chum in Extras. She's spent the last couple of years in the US in Ugly Betty. Can't remember the play well enough to know what her part is but she's a great comedian.

#8 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1240 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 09:34 AM

View PostHonoured Guest, on 28 June 2012 - 02:57 PM, said:

Ah, this has reminded me of the late great Bob Peck who played the lead in the London premiere.

Well, it wasn't really the lead was it, that was Michael Gambon (playing the part Rob Brydon will be playing this time I assume) who was hysterically funny in parts of this play.

I'd also question "great" - the two performances you mention were no more than workmanlike for example.

#9 simon from oxford

simon from oxford

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:05 AM

What is it with all the Ayckbourn?

He is not the safe bet he once was in terms of audience appeal

#10 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2542 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:06 AM

Funny what we remember. I'm racking my brains and can't even recall Michael Gambon being in it. But I have a fixed mental image of Bob Peck's character's smug smile at one early point and his fluster at another. You may be right on Rob Brydon's casting, as you remember so much more about the play, but when I saw Rob Brydon in the publicity photo I thought his face physically resembled Bob Peck's in this play.

I didn't intend "great" to refer to this play. I doubt it possible for anyone to be great in this MOR play.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users