• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 pattino1fan

pattino1fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 04:43 PM

Just saw matinee of a Chorus of Disapproval; my dad was visiting and, being Welsh, this was right up his and my stepmam's street! What we didn't realise was how big the show was going to be! The 'Chorus' were all fantastic (and they can all sing!) and Rob was totally hilarious - I don't want to spoil it, but there's a hilarious part where he's shouting at the dodgy lighting man whilst they are trying to set the lights for the show. I didn't get a programme but the woman playing Rebecca (the posh one) was hysterical and the two swingers had some great moments!

gwneud yn dda to everyone involved!

#22 KevinUK

KevinUK

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 07:54 PM

How's the day queue situation? Looking to grab 2 on Saturday
If I stay awake, it must be good.

#23 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 07:07 AM

Get there at 9.30 you should be fine.  Day seats are front row which is excellent.
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#24 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1240 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:31 PM

View Postpattino1fan, on 26 September 2012 - 04:43 PM, said:

I don't want to spoil it, but there's a hilarious part where he's shouting at the dodgy lighting man whilst they are trying to set the lights for the show.

That was the funniest scene in the NT production of it with Michael Gambon.

Just based on the reviews this seems a bit ponderous - I'm not sure Trev can really direct comedies written after about 1900, has he ever directed one before ?

#25 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2092 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:39 PM

Acorn Antiques - The Musical
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#26 ABowlerHat

ABowlerHat

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 02:02 AM

This sounds a lot like Noises Off to me.

#27 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 06:49 AM

View PostLady Nijo, on 25 September 2012 - 10:00 PM, said:

Just home from seeing this tonight. Rob Brydon was so bloody good as the Welsh director. The man has perfect comedy timing! Didn't realise he was such a good a singer either. But I guess being Welsh and all that...

He sings rather well on I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue.

#28 Poly

Poly

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 11:13 AM

I didn't think it was ponderous, if I have one criticism is it doesn't have the dark undercurrents other proudctions of Ayckbourn plays (such as Absent Friends) have. It's a bit fluffy. But it is very funny, and Rob Brydon is superb and the aforementioned "lighting" scene is played to perfection.

#29 DanielWhit

DanielWhit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2293 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 10:30 PM

Well, that was an unexpected treat!

I decided this would be one of my "book, know nothing about it, see how it goes" visits. When I booked the only thing I knew was the title and the fact a certain comedian named Rob was in it (somehow everything else completely escaped me). As some of you know, I am very involved in amateur theatre, so this worked out very well in the end!

There were remarkable scenes which I have seen played out for real before, the mis-patched lighting, two people trying to have an important conversation when aiding lighting, crew/cast fighting (not quite to this extent, mind) etc. It rang extraordinarily true

If I were to pick fault, some of the early scenes felt very shakey - the bar scene jarred against any real pub, with any attempt at realism taking a hit to allow the audience to see what's going on. Surprising as no other scene suffered with the problem of feeling badly set up.

Might well try to visit again.

View PostABowlerHat, on 29 September 2012 - 02:02 AM, said:

This sounds a lot like Noises Off to me.

It does have similarities, definitely.

#30 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:21 PM

Yes a pleasant evening. I think some sharpening of the script might be in order but it is set at that time when smoking was ok in pubs so maybe we did talk a bit like that. The pants in cafe scene not as funny as it could have been, rather shy of the physical quality I thought. But Brydon  a joy and the rest kept up ok. I actually have the programmes from the eighties, would you believe- 85 and 86- two casts and the original one has a lovely spoof programme inside of the ' production'. Why don't they do that kind of thing anymore?

Sat row B 1&2 right at the end behind the loud music and behind Brydon! Should have been told on website maybe? Ah well, didn't affect enjoyment.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users