14 replies to this topic

#1 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2521 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 07:09 PM

I nominate Complicite, which has a website which is either very sophisticated or broken. Either way, I find it literally unusable. It may be that it works perfectly for people using the most up-to-date computer technology but I'm unfortunately not one of those people. I wonder if Complicite's message is: If you're too technologically backward to use our sophisticated website, then we suggest you're not one of us and we'd advise you not to come to see our productions.

http://www.complicite.org/flash/

#2 Laughingmonsta

Laughingmonsta

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2424 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 07:15 PM

unfortunately you will need to get with the times : a lot of older browsers in standard web design are not being developed for, which means you need to keep up with the times or stay living in the dark ages. - Whilst it may not be the most accessable (I will give you that) it works perfectly fine, I would suggest you update your browser and flash/shockwave/silverlight and Java as without these I can say in the next few years all you will see is "Your browser does not support this site" flashing up on everything!
This is my street, I smile at the faces I've known all my life, They regard me with pride.

#3 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3745 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 08:46 PM

My local theatre, The Marlowe in Canterbury, has an awful site. It being a new theatre, with a huge budget, you'd have thought they could have got hold of a decent web developer. The seat selection freezes when you scroll down,  you have to login to do anything, it never lists any creative teams and you often have to click several times (on the seat selection) for anything to happen.

#4 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2521 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:30 PM

Thank you, Laughingmonsta, for confirming what I feared. I have no idea how to do what you recommend, so I'll have to get by without access to Complicite's website. It must be in the vanguard of updated versions because I'm able to use every other website that I visit. When everyone else updates, causing me the general predicament that you foresee, I expect those techno-trendies at Complicite will have updated once more to a further update, leaving me still unable to access them.

#5 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2077 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:40 PM

Complicites website has no useful info even if you can make it work
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#6 Lady Nijo

Lady Nijo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:39 PM

Oh dear. Just had a look at Complicite's site. WTF? A massive marketing and accessibility failure.

#7 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:48 PM

View PostLaughingmonsta, on 28 June 2012 - 07:15 PM, said:

unfortunately you will need to get with the times : a lot of older browsers in standard web design are not being developed for, which means you need to keep up with the times or stay living in the dark ages. - Whilst it may not be the most accessable (I will give you that) it works perfectly fine, I would suggest you update your browser and flash/shockwave/silverlight and Java as without these I can say in the next few years all you will see is "Your browser does not support this site" flashing up on everything!

Not always an option on, ahem, someone else's PC. Which, of course, is the web owner's loss rather than mine. It's actually a real problem for places like net cafes and libraries - it's not the work of a moment to update Flash on  network.

#8 Matthew Winn

Matthew Winn

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 05:08 AM

View Postxanderl, on 28 June 2012 - 09:40 PM, said:

Complicites website has no useful info even if you can make it work

It's a masterful example of the "look how clever we are" school of design, where the main objective is to show off every technique the designer has learnt. What? You can't find anything? Silly visitor. The purpose of this website isn't to give you information. It's to show off our l33t d3z1gn skillz.

For me the worst failures are the sites that force you to jump through hoops to get to the content you want, either by forcing some sort of video presentation on you, or by refusing to let you get straight from a search engine page to the page you want and taking you to the main site page instead so they can show you all their advertising. People visiting a site are already half-sold on whatever the site has to offer. That's why they're there. Just give them the information they need.

Runner-up failures:

* Sites that don't update, showing last year's information.

* Sites written by people who assume every visitor is star-struck and cares only about the celebrity of the moment, rather than offering full credits for each show.
I have always hated eggs. I remember back when I was a sperm I tried to head-butt one. It did not end well.

#9 Reich

Reich

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1022 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 08:57 AM

A couple of times I’ve been interested in seeing the RSC at the Roundhouse. The Roundhouse doesn’t let you choose your own seat and I couldn’t get to see a seating plan without the aid of Google. That was two years ago. I’ve just quickly tried again and had the same issue. So I nominate the RSC and the Roundhouse … obviously having a London base isn’t important to them :angry:

Broadway has been very good to me. But then, I've been very good to broadway.

#10 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1237 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 09:45 AM

View PostReich, on 29 June 2012 - 08:57 AM, said:

A couple of times I’ve been interested in seeing the RSC at the Roundhouse. The Roundhouse doesn’t let you choose your own seat and I couldn’t get to see a seating plan without the aid of Google. That was two years ago. I’ve just quickly tried again and had the same issue. So I nominate the RSC and the Roundhouse … obviously having a London base isn’t important to them :angry:

The problem is that the relationship between the RSC and the Roundhouse is opaque. For example, before the current (and previous) Roundhouse run opened you could book tickets for it directly via the RSC, which made it look like any other RSC production, but it wasn't because the ticketing terms and conditions (specifically NO exchanges and NO refunds) were entirely based on the Roundhouse terms and quite different from RST terms. In fact the RST box office staff had no clue what was going on either because by phone they told me if I'd originally booked tickets through them they could refund them with a credit note, then when I posted the tickets to them I never heard from them again and no credit note was forthcoming. So, the website is probably the same, a Roundhouse production falsely flying under RSC colours.

Of the large theatres I've always found the Barbican website the worst - it often has duplicate information on different pages and well out-of-date information.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users