78 replies to this topic

#1 paultheatre

paultheatre

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 12:39 AM

STUNNING production.  Much better than the Donmar one a few years back. MONEY theme definitely at the forefront.  V slick 1st preview. Beautiful design (and revolve!  You might get dizzy!!!) complimented the powerful performances, and music.  Some minor flaws abound, notably Act 3's end-showdown duologue which for all it's realism repeats itself again and again and ends up SLOWING everything down and diminishing the ending's power...big shame, as up til then, just brilliant.  If they can cut that last bit in half, perfect.  

Morahan fantastic, and Nick Fletcher (new to me) standouts.

Not on long, get involved!

(But got to the loo beforehand: Acts 1&2 = 1hr 45minutes!!!! Interval, then much shorter Act3.)

#2 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 08:47 AM

I thought there were some first performance glitches - and the timing was just not there yet.  It will be a wonderful production once they settle into it.

The set is certainly stunning - designed by Ian MacNeil (An Inspector Calls) - a real doll house with four rooms and a hallway, on a revolve, so that the action flows through all the rooms pretty much all the time.  Director Carrie Cracknell has devised several domestic moments that Ibsen never thought of (because they would have been offstage) which bring us fully into the Helmer family routine.  Never have the servants and children been so much seen.

This does have its down side however, especially in the great final scene, one of the most iconic scenes in theatre history.  Without going into detail, I'll just say that the big surprise moment, so carefully set up by Ibsen, is totally undercut because we have been watching the preparations for it in another room.  The famous finale of the play is also diminished. Sometimes a sound effect is better than a visual. Ibsen has not been improved upon here.

Hattie Morahan, a tall and gorgeous Nora, is not exactly doll-like ( and the doll motif is played heavily) but she is a compelling actress and she is on the verge of a great performance. Dominic Rowan was a fine Torvald until the last scene where he didn't rise to the occasion. But such judgments are unfair at this stage.  It's a work in progress for all of them.

I was seated upstairs and had an audibility problem with a couple of the actors, especially Morahan.  Don't know it it's the acoutics or not.  I've not had a problem with her in other theatres.

And, oh yes, Nora's youngest child is a baby girl who was duly brought out ( in a doll's outfit) to the oohs and aahs of the audience.  Of course while she was on - and she was impeccably behaved - no one was watching anything else.

As paultheatre noted, it's a very long first act - acts one and two are played together.  The total running time is approximately 3 hours.
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#3 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 10:39 AM

I do think it's got an absolutely terrific poster.

#4 paultheatre

paultheatre

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 09:21 PM

Mallardo, have to agree actually about the final act's "big moment"/revelation to Torvald.  It did feel "wrong" for some reason.  Don't know whether the shift in location was it, but we'd been building up to that moment throughout the play, but then, suddenly it was on us, but felt a bit lost/unprepared for.  Also agree about Morahan vocally: very quiet especially in early stages of it.  I don't know if they've got a voice person on the show, but they should get one, as that could ruin an otherwise amazing performance.  Think Rowan can get better too.  Still loved it though!

#5 padawan

padawan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:12 AM

I saw it last night. The last scene was so disappointing... I had so many things to say but the disappointment of the last just took away my enthusiasm. The moment it finished, I just said to myself Oh we shouldn't have come to the previews.

The set was amazing though. Such a doll house. I especially liked the scene where Nora plays Hide and Seek with her sons and the set turns around. You see all the dynamics with wonderful cello music playing in the background.

#6 steveatplays

steveatplays

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:13 PM

Hattie Morahan is excellent in this. I love the revolving Doll's House set too. I think this one is worth making an effort for. :)

#7 kjb

kjb

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 07:53 PM

Does anyone know what the returns queue/ day seats are like for the 3 week re-run of this? It's sold out again and I really want to see it.

Thanks

#8 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1225 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 10:59 PM

This production is available on Digital Theatre!

#9 kjb

kjb

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 07:39 AM

Yeah, I know and that's my back up plan, but I'd really like to see it live if I can.

#10 Backdrifter

Backdrifter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Interests:Moving, sleeping, eating, not being here

Gender says 'not telling' but, clue: I own some Y chromosomes

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:15 AM

View Postkjb, on 06 April 2013 - 07:53 PM, said:

Does anyone know what the returns queue/ day seats are like for the 3 week re-run of this? It's sold out again and I really want to see it.

Thanks
If you haven't already, call the BO, they might be able to advise on queueing times.

Seeing this tonight.

A deliberate mistake on the YV website? Hattie Morahan is referred to as 'Hattie Norahan'.
Turn up the signal... wipe out the noise

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users