16 replies to this topic

#11 Alf

Alf

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 07:53 PM

It was the first West End show I saw, back when I was seven (blimey, that ten years went fast..) and I was totally engrossed then. I've though about seeing it since but have decided it's best to just keep the memory of what it was like back then and just watch the film.

To be honest, practically anything you saw after Matilda and Sweeney would have paled in comparison.
My occasionally neglected theatre blog: http://thegreatestof...blogspot.co.uk/
Latest post: Review: 'Blithe Spirit' at the Gielgud Theatre: http://thegreatestof...theatre_10.html

#12 seanmcdona

seanmcdona

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:20 PM

I realise this will never happen because TLK is still making a bomb but id honestly rather see a new show in there like Tarzan or TLM but revamped versions because they have so much potential!TLK seems so old at this stage and iv only seen it once but iv seen over 9 westend shows now and this was the only one to me that seemed boring and old.. just my opinion though!

#13 DanielWhit

DanielWhit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2293 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:37 PM

It's actually possible it would happen - it's not unknown for Disney to pull successful shows out and replace them with new blood.

Especially with a three year tour going up in a month's time.

#14 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1401 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:40 PM

I imagine The Lion King will move theatres before it closes. There hasn't been a Disney show in London, I do hope Newsies transfer from Broadway but it'll more likely go to a smaller theatre like the Savoy or the Aldwych. They've got a few things in development like Alice in Wonderland which I read in Variety if it happens will premiere in London first.

#15 les mis lover

les mis lover

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:40 PM

I loved the Lion King but if I had one criticism it would be it was a little too long.  I think I had to stifle a few yawns throughout the second half.

#16 justin-from-barbados

justin-from-barbados

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 07:38 PM

I'm a huge fan of the show, but for some rather quirky reasons.

But after seeing it many times from different angles, it does seem to me that the seat you have matters ALOT with this show.

If it is your first time seeing it, a close seat is a good thing because you can see the intracacies of the costumes. If you sit far back in the balcony you find yourself looking at a bare brown stage for far too long.

But other than that, it is a hit or miss for most people and as much as I love the show, the last time I saw it, i said to myself that I wont be going back untill they have a major cast change.

#17 seanmcdona

seanmcdona

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 01:32 PM

I really don't know if it's down to seating.. I was in the first few rows of the Grand Circle and I'd a fine view of the stage and everything but I just didnt enjoy it all that much! BUT to be fair, my friend went again 2 weeks later (She didnt enjoy it at all the first time) and she loved it the second! she said their was a new cast and it was just a whole new show! Must have just been down to a tired cast who were coming to the end of their contracts! Still, I dont think its fair if people are being big bucks to a show that they get let down by a tired cast, its their job to entertain..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users