4 replies to this topic

#1 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1240 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:06 AM

A good production with some very interesting directoral interpretations. This season has been something of a triumph for Jonathan Slinger. Pity they omitted Pericles which should be in any "shipwreck" season.

Lots of empty seats though - a worrying sign for the RSC as the stalls seats here were priced way below what they are asking for their West End transfers and there were lots unsold.

#2 igb

igb

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:37 AM

View PostEpicoene, on 02 July 2012 - 07:06 AM, said:

Lots of empty seats though - a worrying sign for the RSC as the stalls seats here were priced way below what they are asking for their West End transfers and there were lots unsold.

I was in London on Friday, on a shopping trip with my daughter: Covent Garden, Regent St, Oxford St, then down to the South Bank for dinner and "Invisible Things" at the Hayward.  It's not a scientific survey, but for a Friday at the end of June, the whole place felt dead: very, very few obvious tourists, and the shops we visited seemed to have few customers and those mostly locals.   Walking along the South Bank at six, there were few occupied tables.  The Bakerloo line was almost deserted, both at noon (perhaps unsurprising) and at six-thirty (rather more surprising).  

I suspect that this is the effect of the Olympics: it will concentrate visitors to London into a shorter period of time, starting in a few weeks' time and finishing by mid-August.  The locals are starting to head off on holiday, and the tourists haven't arrived yet.  I'm down again on Tuesday for Antigone, so I shall expand my laughable n=1 anecdote to a laughable n=2 anecdote.

#3 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1240 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:51 AM

View Postigb, on 02 July 2012 - 09:37 AM, said:

I was in London on Friday, on a shopping trip with my daughter: Covent Garden, Regent St, Oxford St, then down to the South Bank for dinner and "Invisible Things" at the Hayward.  It's not a scientific survey, but for a Friday at the end of June, the whole place felt dead: very, very few obvious tourists, and the shops we visited seemed to have few customers and those mostly locals.   Walking along the South Bank at six, there were few occupied tables.  The Bakerloo line was almost deserted, both at noon (perhaps unsurprising) and at six-thirty (rather more surprising).  

I suspect that this is the effect of the Olympics: it will concentrate visitors to London into a shorter period of time, starting in a few weeks' time and finishing by mid-August.  The locals are starting to head off on holiday, and the tourists haven't arrived yet.  I'm down again on Tuesday for Antigone, so I shall expand my laughable n=1 anecdote to a laughable n=2 anecdote.

The NT and RSC are rather different to West End venues in that they sell a lot of tickets in advance to their members, given that it is a surprise the RSC can't sell out a very short run of Tempest (I'm not sure how many performances there were exactly, about 15 I guess). Having said that it is always the same big block of stalls seats to the right of the stage that is empty, maybe they hold them back for purchase by visitors etc.

NT had no trouble selling out a relatively short run of Antigone (about 40 performances ?) but of course word-of-mouth will have boosted sales there.

#4 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5150 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 12:58 PM

Had opposite experience to you igb. At the Sth Ken tube the other day they had extra staff helping our visitors and it was heaving. Schools not all out yet so mainly tourists.

#5 David J

David J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:38 PM

Here is a link to my review http://shallicompare...blogspot.co.uk/

This is one of Jonathan Slinger's best performances as a commanding yet humble Prospero. I now see that he is quite a versatile Shakespearean actor. One of the best right now. Felix Hayes and Bruce Mackinnon have provided some of the funniest moments during this trilogy, whilst Sandy Grierson played a tender and affectionate Ariel. David Farr's direction gave some beautiful and sombre magical moments, and the tricks were well done. I think the storm scene has been improved because I did not have a problem hearing a lot of the words

High Full Price

Does anybody think Jonathan Slinger and David Farr is a great combination? Both seem to take a dark or sombre approach to these productions, and as far as I can see it works well. I am now rather excited to see next years Hamlet.
My reviews can also be found at "A Night at the Theatre"

http://www.anightatthetheatre.co.uk/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users