53 replies to this topic

#11 harveyjnr

harveyjnr

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 05:32 PM

not true! that certainly was not the case when starlight took to the tours.. they got all the previous cast members back as they knew they performed it best.
i don't think they'll need a celebrity cast for a musical touring,

#12 Musicals1248

Musicals1248

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 05:36 PM

For arenas I think they will in my opinion. Not an entire celebrity cast but 1 or 2 big names.

#13 harveyjnr

harveyjnr

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 05:50 PM

maybe the parts of pop and kashoggi?

#14 jamescrispy94

jamescrispy94

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 06:16 PM

View Postharveyjnr, on 07 July 2012 - 04:38 PM, said:

think mazz might do it?

I haven't seen her so I have no right to judge her performance, but I have seen both UK tour casts and Sharon D Clarke on YouTube but I think the role of KQ is better suited for a black woman with that sort of soul voice like Sharon and Brenda from X Factor rather than Tiffinay (can't remember her name) from the second UK tour. That's just my view, don't mean to sound racist or anything.

#15 Dubbie

Dubbie

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 08:17 PM

Is Kerry Ellis too old for Scaramouche? If they want celebrity casting they could do someone like Mary Byrne from X-Factor as Killer Queen and then another as Khassoggi.

#16 poster J

poster J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1014 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 09:06 PM

View Postharveyjnr, on 07 July 2012 - 05:16 PM, said:

kerry ellis for killer queen! would she tour though?
i'd love to see sabrina back as scaramouche and coutts as meatloaf too. maybe ross hunter as a cheeky gazza... :wub:

No, I meant Kerry playing Meat again, I don't think she'd suit KQ.

View PostStageshoot, on 07 July 2012 - 05:20 PM, said:

But its not "West End Royalty" That gets bums in seats on Arena Tours.

Its Celebrity Casting, and BM playing at every one!

The Arena Crowd wont give a hoot about Kerry, and 99.9% will never of heard of Mazz.

Put a couple of "Red Top" Names and BM will be playing is they way you will get bums on seats,

And then expect to see massive papering through all the normal routes a few days before to fill the empty sections with freebies.

Which big names are young enough and with good enough voices to play Scaramouche?  Pop could easily be a big name, possibly KQ or Khashoggi if they play up the comedy factor, but Scaramouche, Galileo and Meat especially need to be great singers.  KQ does too really, but Tiffany Graves wasn't the best (in my opinion) and just about got away with it.

I don't agree that the cast needs to be celebrities, they'll sell this on the Queen name and Brian May, especially if he plays at at least some of the shows.  Stunt casting could quite easily backfire, it's a long enough tour that it needs decent reviews as well to push ticket sales for the later venues.

View Postjamescrispy94, on 07 July 2012 - 06:16 PM, said:

I haven't seen her so I have no right to judge her performance, but I have seen both UK tour casts and Sharon D Clarke on YouTube but I think the role of KQ is better suited for a black woman with that sort of soul voice like Sharon and Brenda from X Factor rather than Tiffinay (can't remember her name) from the second UK tour. That's just my view, don't mean to sound racist or anything.

Mazz is the best KQ I've seen, and better than the bootleg videos I've seen of when Sharon D Clarke was in it, but I don't think she's right for the tour.  Kerry Ellis at least is a name to some, now recognisable a bit more from having been on the Voice, and can at least be sold as a Broadway star as well as just a West End one.  Plus she's toured with Brian.  It's easier to ramp up the marketing for her than it is for any other former cast member.

I think she's too old for Scaramouche but could get away with playing Meat, as that character doesn't have to be a specific age.

Mary Byrne from the X Factor is hardly stunt casting though, I doubt many more people know who she is or would recognise her than know who Kerry is...

#17 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1390 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 03:13 AM

An arena tour seems a bit ambitious, I wonder if JCSS has inspired Queen to do something similar with WWRY.

#18 richard2711

richard2711

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 10:43 AM

View PostJon, on 08 July 2012 - 03:13 AM, said:

An arena tour seems a bit ambitious, I wonder if JCSS has inspired Queen to do something similar with WWRY.

This is why I probably won't watch this; I'm not going to see Superstar either. As much as I like the fact that they're trying to being musicals to a wider audience, I'm not sure arenas are the way to do it. Surely some of the intimacy of some musicals will be lost in a vast arena space? I went to see a comedy show in an arena and didn't enjoy it at all for the same reason.

#19 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1390 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:16 AM

View Postrichard2711, on 08 July 2012 - 10:43 AM, said:

This is why I probably won't watch this; I'm not going to see Superstar either. As much as I like the fact that they're trying to being musicals to a wider audience, I'm not sure arenas are the way to do it. Surely some of the intimacy of some musicals will be lost in a vast arena space? I went to see a comedy show in an arena and didn't enjoy it at all for the same reason.

I never see comedy in an arena as it works best in a smaller enviroment although it works in large theatres, just not arenas.

#20 DanielWhit

DanielWhit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2293 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:48 AM

That said - WWRY is practically a Queen gig with some linking anyway, so it would work well in arenas as there's next to no dramatic tension to lose between songs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users