35 replies to this topic

#1 harveyjnr

harveyjnr

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 03:26 PM

does anyone know anything about @nodaybut2dayuk ?
looks like theyr'e bringing RENT back to london? but is it a professional company?

#2 DanielWhit

DanielWhit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2293 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:51 AM

Jonathan Larson's RENT, coming to the Cockpit Theatre, October 17th-November 10th, courtesy of Interval Productions.

So - they are these guys: https://twitter.com/IntervalProds

#3 jactom

jactom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:31 AM

Cant wait to see this!

#4 wls250

wls250

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 06:01 PM

View Postjactom, on 09 July 2012 - 09:31 AM, said:

Cant wait to see this!
yes you can.

#5 harveyjnr

harveyjnr

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 02:12 PM

Has to be said Sabrina Aloueche's Maureen is completely on par with Idina Menzels. What an utter joy. A riviting actress with immense comedy timing and what a voice.
Other standout performances include Carlton Connell Collins. Pure soul.
Tori Allen Martyn's Mimi- fragile and defiant. Again, beautiful vocals.
And newcomer John Mcrea's angel. Tragic and simply stunning. It's hard to feel sorry for him for his character portrayal is such a positive one.

This fringe production of Rent is a must-see folks.

Admittedly it's not completely perfect but worth seeing alone for those stand out performances.

#6 Southstreet

Southstreet

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:46 AM

Hmmm, really wanted to see this but a bunch of my friends went the other night and they really didn't like it. A couple of them left at the interval and the others didn't have much good to say about it either, even though I do remember them saying Angel was fantastic.

How long is this still running for? Still kinda tempted to go as I love Rent, but not a single one of my friends would recommend it, so am torn.

#7 Zippy

Zippy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:37 AM

I thought it was ok but far from amazing. Highlights for me were Sabrina's Maureen and Joanne. I didn't like the Angel at all and found most of the male cast in this quite weak. Tori has a good voice but didn't really like how she played Mimi. Really liked the Collins. The Benny looked around 12! Good ensemble. Overall it's not bad, it's just not very good either.

#8 jaqs

jaqs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:57 AM

I love Toris voice but thought her Mimi was so bolshie and confident that she didnt really make sense to me, she never seemed like someone who could be manipulated by Benny(who looked so, so much younger than her in his ill fitting suit jacket).

Angel and Collins were fabulous and Sabrina sounded terrific, when she could be heard, hopefully the sound issues have been sorted since I went when a lot went unheard either due to the band being so loud or the mics not being on.

I did like the production overall but a fair bit missed the mark.

#9 Gavin

Gavin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:05 AM

Interesting that there's been comments on over-amplification as I went last night and thought that it was too quiet, maybe they've taken on board what reviews have said and gone to the extreme opposite. The sound was awful, SO tame for what was meant to be a rock score.

Sabrina, Ambra and Carlton were stand outs for me. The rest of the leads left a lot to be desired and I mean a lot. The ensemble were great though.

I don't really know what more to say about the show, I didn't feel connected to what was going on in front of me, RENT is a hard show to get right I think and it's a brave show to do but this production just didn't work for me at all.

#10 Zippy

Zippy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:57 AM

I was at opening preview and the sound was all over the place. At times so loud that you couldn't hear the vocals at all, the mics weren't switched on a lot of the time or weren't working properly and there was a lot of very loud screechy feedback from the sound system.
I just couldn't really engage with this production.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users