35 replies to this topic

#21 jaqs

jaqs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 04:22 PM

To me Mimi is supposed to look 16, shes a stripper, drug addict, hiv+, vulnerable mess.
I'm not saying Tori was a disaster but for me she didnt convey much of the above.

Its as much about the casting relative to each part thats the issue, if the Benny and Roger looked older then it could work better with an older Mimi.

#22 Kristian

Kristian

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 04:42 PM

View Postharveyjnr, on 23 October 2012 - 03:28 PM, said:

Think she's seen this as She just tweeted about it! Being an actor is about having the grace to accept your not always going to be everyone's cup of tea. You can't get angry at people for just not liking your performance.

Tweet wasn't about this thread. :/
Bradfordian Actor and Singer. Birmingham Conservatoire and Central School of Speech and Drama Graduate.
Tweeting @justwannajive

WEST END: Wicked X2 | Legally Blonde X2 | Lion King X1 | Cats X1 | Starlight Express X5 | Joseph and The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat X1 | Les Miserables X5 | Oliver X1 | Woman in Black X1 | Phantom of the Opera X2 | Rock of Ages X1 | Shrek X1 | Sister Act X1 | Sweeney Todd X1 | Cabaret X1 | Street Scene X1 | La Fille a la Mode (Haymarket) X1 |

FRINGE: The Glorious Ones | The House of Bernarda Alba (LaChiusa) | Daybreak | After The Turn | RENT | Pippin | Floyd Collins | The Man On Her Mind | Marguerite | Taboo |

ON TOUR: Jekyll and Hyde X1 | Starlight Express X1 | Cabaret X1| Phantom of the Opera X1 | Les Miserables X1 | Phantom on Ice X1 | Miss Saigon X1 | Whistle Down the Wind X1 | Oliver X1 | Chess X1 | Grease X1 | Summer Holiday X1 | Annie X1 | Cats X1 | Of Thee I Sing X1 |

RSC: Much Ado About Nothing X1 |

#23 harveyjnr

harveyjnr

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 05:32 PM

Wow she's such a drama queen. If every west end actor kicked off like that after reading about themselves hear twitter would be an emotional shambles! Jeez- take criticism in your stride!

#24 wls250

wls250

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 06:35 PM

View PostKristian, on 23 October 2012 - 12:45 PM, said:

I love Tori, don't get me wrong. BUT this was my first thought when I saw the casting... but knew it was coming.
I knew she was in the cast and just naturally assumed Joanne, so when she appeared as Mimi I just really didn't get it and it didn't work. I liked her in after the turn she's got a nice voice, but the tone isn't right for mimi.

#25 Kristian

Kristian

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:16 PM

View Postharveyjnr, on 23 October 2012 - 05:32 PM, said:

Wow she's such a drama queen. If every west end actor kicked off like that after reading about themselves hear twitter would be an emotional shambles! Jeez- take criticism in your stride!

She didn't read this. Apparently. But I've been made to look like some evil jealous queen I think. :/ Not by her. She's lovely but ah well... Need to watch what I say on here when I'm bored during the day job.
Bradfordian Actor and Singer. Birmingham Conservatoire and Central School of Speech and Drama Graduate.
Tweeting @justwannajive

WEST END: Wicked X2 | Legally Blonde X2 | Lion King X1 | Cats X1 | Starlight Express X5 | Joseph and The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat X1 | Les Miserables X5 | Oliver X1 | Woman in Black X1 | Phantom of the Opera X2 | Rock of Ages X1 | Shrek X1 | Sister Act X1 | Sweeney Todd X1 | Cabaret X1 | Street Scene X1 | La Fille a la Mode (Haymarket) X1 |

FRINGE: The Glorious Ones | The House of Bernarda Alba (LaChiusa) | Daybreak | After The Turn | RENT | Pippin | Floyd Collins | The Man On Her Mind | Marguerite | Taboo |

ON TOUR: Jekyll and Hyde X1 | Starlight Express X1 | Cabaret X1| Phantom of the Opera X1 | Les Miserables X1 | Phantom on Ice X1 | Miss Saigon X1 | Whistle Down the Wind X1 | Oliver X1 | Chess X1 | Grease X1 | Summer Holiday X1 | Annie X1 | Cats X1 | Of Thee I Sing X1 |

#26 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3357 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:17 PM

In fairness shes not the first to cast herself, Paul Spicer has been doing it for years

#27 Mantaray

Mantaray

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:30 PM

Has she vanished off twitter or am I being dim?

#28 FireFingers

FireFingers

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:38 PM

With regards to sound, Rent is one of the hardest shows to mix. Very busy, lots of needing more fingers than you have to get each line out. And with fringe stuff, the shortened rehearsal time means it is never ready by opening, sound wise.

#29 Kristian

Kristian

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:53 PM

View PostMantaray, on 23 October 2012 - 09:30 PM, said:

Has she vanished off twitter or am I being dim?

She seems to have vanished.

View PostTitan, on 23 October 2012 - 09:17 PM, said:

In fairness shes not the first to cast herself, Paul Spicer has been doing it for years

And yeah, she cited Paul in regards to it.
Tweeting @justwannajive

#30 harveyjnr

harveyjnr

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:02 AM

It's like she throws her toys out of the pram! We hardly ever see the likes of Gina beck, Julie Atherton, Sabrina Aloueche, Ashley grey, Rachel tucker ever moan and cry on twitter but tori is always starting some kind of drama. She needs to build a thicker skin if she wants to get into a west end show.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users