• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 MrPopple

MrPopple

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 12:12 PM

Just wondering, how is the new cast at POW?  Although I quite like Linzi Hateley normally, I'm not sure that she's vocally a Donna - would like the impressions of someone who's seen her.  Many thanks

#2 xTanyax

xTanyax

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Interests:Singing, dancing, acting, musicals, trampolining, spending time with friends.

Posted 08 March 2007 - 02:32 PM

I saw it on Monday, I think all the leads a quite weak accept for Donna and her friends who were great. I though Linzi suited the part really well and thought her voice was great. It was the first time I saw the show and as a musical it isn't the bes but it was fun and cheesey and serves it purpose

#3 ianianian

ianianian

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 08:23 PM

I saw it on Monday too, and as a regular, thought Linzi Hateley was one of the best Donnas I've seen.

Rosie, Sam, Bill and Pepper are the same performers as the previous cast.

Wasn't greatly impressed with Hannah Robertson (Sophie) or Jane Gurnett (Tanya). Nothing really wrong with them (well apart from Hannah's Glaswegian accent coming out on occasion but I expect the voice coach will clean that up in time), I just preferred the previous performers in those roles.

#4 xTanyax

xTanyax

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Interests:Singing, dancing, acting, musicals, trampolining, spending time with friends.

Posted 08 March 2007 - 09:02 PM

I also noticed her accent coming through aswell

#5 STU

STU

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 08:35 AM

I saw this last night for the first time, and to be honest, i was disappointed.  Beleive me, i wasnt going to see a show with a message or a deep and meaningful storyline, but altho i expected it to be cheesy, i found myself quite bored with it.  

Major tenuous links to Abba songs (where the hell did Chiquitita come from?!)  and Our Last Summer?  Walks by the Seine? the Eiffel Tower?  in Greece?!

I found the cast extremely weak, apart from Linzi Hately who was wonderful.....just about the only person who could sing.  The comedy with Donna and her mates was good...old fashioned slapstick and it did make me chuckle but it got to the point that i was finding it so bad it was funny.  So even though it was bad, i still had a good evening (i went with a group of friends, but had it been just two of us, i dont think it would have been such a giggle)

I agree with Sophie's accent.....she turned Scottish every time she shouted!  And no chemistry between her and Sky...was like watching a gay man and his fag hag on a night out (and beleive me, i know what thats like, before i get called homophobic!).  

The character's name and actress's name escapes me, but the posh mate of Donna's (the one who was manager in Crossroads revamp!) wasnt great vocally....and seemed to get much better when singing along to the backing track!  Am assuming that a lot of the chorus was on tape, as it definitely sounded like that.

So all in all, i really didnt enjoy it, altho it got to the point that if i didnt laugh at how bad it was, it would have been a waste of 2 and half hours.  Redeeming feature most definitely Linzi Hately!  And the rest of the cast was quite weak.

But i suppose where else would you see a tap dance routine done in wetsuits (ok some nice bods there helped liven the show up!) and flippers?!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users