40 replies to this topic

#11 Guest_semmy_*

Guest_semmy_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2009 - 08:28 PM

QUOTE(Guest @ Feb 6 2009, 07:50 PM) View Post
Its Ross as Dodger and his gang

Hmm...

The songs were recorded in 4 days so they may be two sets of children for this CD. It finished recording on the 24th of January and presumably started on the 21st. When I went to see 'Oliver!' on the 21st of January, Gwion was Oliver and Robert was the Dodger.

#12 Miriam

Miriam

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 08:40 PM

I think the Broadway Hairspray OCR is absolutely terrible. The original Tracey has such a shrill and warbly voice that I can't bear to listen to it. It's such a pity they didn't start out with Shannon Durig as Tracey - I completely adored her voice and acting and wish the recording had been done with her. sad.gif

#13 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2009 - 12:09 AM

The cost differences are slightly different, you don't have to pay an orchestra/band to come in to a studio to record numbers. I know on some of these live recordings that singers often over-dub later in a studio to create that perfect performance that we are all used to these days... I'm not sure if this has been done for Oliver! or not...

The biggest advantage of a live recording is that you capture the emotion of the orchestra and performers which can almost never be replicated in a recording studio... I hope that these live recordings catch on (it looks like they are) I think they're great!

#14 Orchestrator

Orchestrator

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1028 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 08:38 AM

QUOTE(Guest @ Feb 16 2009, 12:09 AM) View Post
The cost differences are slightly different, you don't have to pay an orchestra/band to come in to a studio to record numbers. I know on some of these live recordings that singers often over-dub later in a studio to create that perfect performance that we are all used to these days... I'm not sure if this has been done for Oliver! or not...

The biggest advantage of a live recording is that you capture the emotion of the orchestra and performers which can almost never be replicated in a recording studio... I hope that these live recordings catch on (it looks like they are) I think they're great!

You have to pay the musicians a recording fee even if they are recorded live in the theatre because their show wages do not cover recording, which counts as, I think, Secondary Use. Additionally, as you suggest, "patching sessions" are often needed after live recordings to  correct errors and flaws, which of course cost money (whether they take place in a studio or in the theatre). Someone said Oliver needed a few hours of patching sessions.
Ooh, that Bernadette Shaw - what a chatterbox!

#15 busymum

busymum

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 09:01 AM

Even the kids are not sure which teams were used and they were all paid an extra fee for the recording! We will be able to tell when the CD is released as the Olivers and Dodgers all sound quite different!

Busymum

#16 Guest_guest_*

Guest_guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2009 - 01:13 PM

QUOTE(Miriam @ Feb 6 2009, 08:40 PM) View Post
I think the Broadway Hairspray OCR is absolutely terrible. The original Tracey has such a shrill and warbly voice that I can't bear to listen to it. It's such a pity they didn't start out with Shannon Durig as Tracey - I completely adored her voice and acting and wish the recording had been done with her. sad.gif

Totally agree about the OBC recording!!!  I am a massive Hairspray fan and have NEVER brought the OBC, I listen to the movie version!!
I cannot wait for Michael Balls new album as the cast recorded "Beat" for that.... It sounds amazing!!!

#17 Orchestrator

Orchestrator

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1028 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 02:10 PM

QUOTE(busymum @ Feb 16 2009, 09:01 AM) View Post
Even the kids are not sure which teams were used and they were all paid an extra fee for the recording! We will be able to tell when the CD is released as the Olivers and Dodgers all sound quite different!

Busymum

The kids should get "points" on sales too. Don't let them cheat you out of them!
Ooh, that Bernadette Shaw - what a chatterbox!

#18 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2009 - 07:23 PM

QUOTE(Guest1 @ Feb 5 2009, 11:04 PM) View Post
No thanks unless its got Mykl, Sandra and Charlotte, and the rest of the OLC instead HAHA

Oh HAHA.  angry.gif

#19 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2009 - 07:26 PM

QUOTE(guest @ Feb 16 2009, 01:13 PM) View Post
Totally agree about the OBC recording!!!  I am a massive Hairspray fan and have NEVER brought the OBC, I listen to the movie version!!
I cannot wait for Michael Balls new album as the cast recorded "Beat" for that.... It sounds amazing!!!

Oh yeah, I love the London cast recording of Beat, it's great and so much better than the OBC version! The whole cast sound so awesome as well, espcially Leanne, Michael and Johnny!!!!

I'll be eternally grateful to MB for making that happen, at least we now have something!

#20 Guest_Guest_J_*

Guest_Guest_J_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2009 - 05:59 PM

Laurence will be singing Where is love on the recording. the other Olivers will be doing various other songs.

Just thought you'd like to know

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users