Oliver Drury Lane Cast Recording

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
40 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_guest_*

Guest_guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2009 - 06:43 PM

QUOTE(Guest_J @ Feb 26 2009, 05:59 PM) View Post
Laurence will be singing Where is love on the recording. the other Olivers will be doing various other songs.

Just thought you'd like to know

Not what I've heard. I heard it's Laurence and Ross all the way through. This sounds more plausible because if it's a live cast recording, even though it's edited, it should sound seamless, as if recorded all in one performance. Having different Olivers and Dodgers would be a bit strangeI think.

#22 Jasmine

Jasmine

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 07:01 PM

I've just bought the cast recording and it's amazing! the whole cast are outstanding but hearing Jodie sing ALAHNM gives me goosebumps every time!

#23 Marius Pontmercy

Marius Pontmercy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 07:54 PM

Have to disagree - I have this and I can't say I'm impressed. Many of the songs performed much too fast (except the title song, which is incredibly slow!), sound quality not good even for a live recording making a lot of the lyrics difficult to hear, and most of the singing just adequate, or worse in a few cases. To her credit, Jodie Prenger sounds a lot better here than she did on the day I saw the show, but still not great - although the end of the reprise of "As Long as He Needs Me" is excellent, very emotional.

#24 Guest_guest_*

Guest_guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2009 - 08:11 PM

QUOTE(Marius Pontmercy @ Mar 16 2009, 07:54 PM) View Post
Have to disagree - I have this and I can't say I'm impressed. Many of the songs performed much too fast (except the title song, which is incredibly slow!), sound quality not good even for a live recording making a lot of the lyrics difficult to hear, and most of the singing just adequate, or worse in a few cases. To her credit, Jodie Prenger sounds a lot better here than she did on the day I saw the show, but still not great - although the end of the reprise of "As Long as He Needs Me" is excellent, very emotional.

I also have to disagree, I was not impressed at all and have to agree with the post above.  Jodie sings the song well but it should be outstanding, she is not outstanding in any way.

#25 voyagerweb

voyagerweb

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 09:03 PM

I thought that a lot of the songs had been slowed down, also noticed they didnt include Rum Tum Tum for some reason, agree live can sometimes be a bit annoying especially witht the applause but seems to give more feeling

#26 Marius Pontmercy

Marius Pontmercy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 09:05 PM

Also, unless my memory is playing tricks on me and it was cut in the production itself, hasn't a huge chunk of "I Shall Scream!" been edited out, i.e. the first verse or two?

#27 Jasmine

Jasmine

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 09:18 PM

QUOTE(guest @ Mar 16 2009, 08:11 PM) View Post
I also have to disagree, I was not impressed at all and have to agree with the post above.  Jodie sings the song well but it should be outstanding, she is not outstanding in any way.

I thought she was but that is just my personal opinion, I think the huskiness in her voice really adds to the character of Nancy and I love her version of Oom Pah Pah- you really feel like you're in the Three Cripples with them!

#28 James84

James84

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 09:32 PM

QUOTE(Marius Pontmercy @ Mar 16 2009, 09:05 PM) View Post
Also, unless my memory is playing tricks on me and it was cut in the production itself, hasn't a huge chunk of "I Shall Scream!" been edited out, i.e. the first verse or two?

I'm pretty sure that in the current production "I Shall Scream" has been cut in half compared to the 1994 production.

#29 Marius Pontmercy

Marius Pontmercy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 10:35 PM

OK, must be my memory then. Oh dear! smile.gif (I hadn't listened to the score for ages before seeing this production so it wasn't fresh in my mind at the time, but I've been listening to the 1960 and 1994 albums a lot since then.)

#30 Guest_matt_*

Guest_matt_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2009 - 10:58 PM

Just to let everyone know - Rowan and Jodie will be doing a signing on Tuesday 17th March at HMV in Covent Garden. They will be signing only the OCR of Oliver and I think its only limited to the first 150 people! Good luck smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users