32 replies to this topic

#21 dude-1981

dude-1981

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 12:05 PM

Would any of us actually follow this separate live account that we are all in favour of?  Maybe we would follow and mute it! :ph34r:
If, for some strange reason you care what I've seen, it's all here:

http://pcchan1981.livejournal.com/

#22 jaqs

jaqs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 05:19 PM

I've temporarily followed for one off events like the oliviers when I couldn't watch, so I might periodically.

#23 Rosie

Rosie

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Interests:Anything to do with music- playing the oboe, singing and composition.<br />Anything to do with musicals!

Posted 11 July 2012 - 11:37 PM

While we're on the topic of social media - it would be really great if whatsonstage had 'share' buttons for twitter/facebook etc like all the newspaper websites do. When I've read an article I think my friends would be interested in, I like to post it on facebook, but to do that at the moment you have to copy and paste the link into facebook, then to choose a thumbnail picture you have to scroll through about 50 irrelevant images, most of which are just logos or pictures from the adverts at the side of the page, rather than the picture that relates to the article. Most newspapers have a button for twitter that generates shorter links, and says "via @whatsonstage" when you tweet. I'm sure many whatsonstage readers would appreciate it it was easier to share and discuss articles, and to link directly to them.

#24 Danube

Danube

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 12:16 PM

I use lists, which helps to keep things under control.  It's a good way to group people together, and then you get to see their tweets to others in the same cast which are hopefully relevant, but not their mum/sister/auntie which rarely are.

A main account could do a couple of tweets reminding followers they can follow a second account for news from a particular event.

The problem is that some celebs (and slightly well known theatre stars) have a habit of retweeting any old drivvel that comes their way.  Sometimes it's a stream of compliments, which is bad enough, but sometimes it's fans simply asking for a retweet.  Sometimes it's a supposed good cause, but it's just not relevant or interesting to most followers.   I feel a bit sorry for people in the public eye, as some fans can get very irate if they don't get a retweet, or a follow back simply because they are a fan. But consideration must be given to the vast majority of other followers who do not want to see it.  I've unfollowed quite a few in the public eye for an inability to draw the line when it comes to trying to please fans.

#25 Zippy

Zippy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 02:09 PM

Yep, performers that continuously retweet compliments or even worse retweet drivel asking for retweets are swiftly unfollowed!

#26 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3742 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 02:15 PM

Yes, two accounts (one for news, one for live events) would be great. Just like the Evening Standard (and other papers) has an arts twitter feed, a sports twitter feed etc.

#27 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2521 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 03:17 PM

Plus a third account for good quality local pantos.

#28 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2077 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 03:56 PM

And a fourth for stage nudity alerts
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#29 Duncan

Duncan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:15 PM

Please make it stop.

#30 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5136 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 10:15 AM

And a fifth to remind us to stop wasting time and go do something useful.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users