59 replies to this topic

#21 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1409 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 04:16 PM

Think Chicago is the first long runner to have closed in a long time and while it's always sad to see a show close, it proves that shows aren't bulletproof. It'll be interesting how Mamma Mia! fares when it moves to the Novello given that it's moving to a theatre with nowhere near the same passing trade as the Prince of Wales but I reckon it'll be fine and give the Novello the first steady hit in a long time.

#22 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3400 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 04:22 PM

I can't think of any other long runners in immediate danger of closing. I think Mamma Mia will be fine, it wasnt struggling at the bigger venue so smaller should be fine.

I do wonder about Billy Elliot as it seems to get more and more discounts. The other one being wwry Is possible

#23 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1409 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 04:34 PM

TBH The Novello isnt that much smaller seating wise than the PoW with less than 50 seats and the move was announced well in advance.

#24 Jamiem

Jamiem

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 05:45 PM

View PostTitan, on 13 July 2012 - 04:22 PM, said:

I can't think of any other long runners in immediate danger of closing. I think Mamma Mia will be fine, it wasnt struggling at the bigger venue so smaller should be fine.

I do wonder about Billy Elliot as it seems to get more and more discounts. The other one being wwry Is possible
I think you'll find that will close in February but it's been a phenomenal success, the children do make it a more costly show tho than Mamma Mia

#25 stevepearman

stevepearman

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 08:01 PM

I find this really sad news. It remains top of my list of shows I like. Seen it ten times now. Is it really not making money? There are very few discounts, and when I was there two weeks ago, it seemed pretty full - and that was a Monday!

#26 cat123

cat123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3357 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 08:21 PM

It's one of my favourites too, i've seen it about 20 times. I thought it would run for a while, very dissapointed.

#27 Jamiem

Jamiem

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 08:37 PM

View Postcat123, on 13 July 2012 - 08:21 PM, said:

It's one of my favourites too, i've seen it about 20 times. I thought it would run for a while, very dissapointed.
It's tour is already pencilled so you're still be able to see it and I'm sure it will be as good. The producers of Billy Elliott have looked after their show so well unlike many other producers!

#28 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1409 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 08:56 PM

Billy Elliot doesn't surprise me as it's been discounting for ages, it has had an incredible run, wonder when they'll announce the closure, I imagine it'll after the Olympics just to get the last few months of good sales.

#29 cat123

cat123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3357 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 09:43 PM

View PostJamiem, on 13 July 2012 - 08:37 PM, said:

It's tour is already pencilled so you're still be able to see it and I'm sure it will be as good. The producers of Billy Elliott have looked after their show so well unlike many other producers!

Yeah, it's the kind of show that costs relatively little to tour, I imagine we'll get a tour every 3 years or so.

#30 KevinUK

KevinUK

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 10:01 PM

Sad it's closing, but I don't actually like the stage show - I don't think there's enough dialogue or character development. But 15 years is an amazing run, wonder if they try to bring back the named stars for the last performance....
If I stay awake, it must be good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users