#31 stevepearman

stevepearman

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 10:21 PM

View Postcat123, on 13 July 2012 - 08:21 PM, said:

It's one of my favourites too, i've seen it about 20 times. I thought it would run for a while, very dissapointed.
So you going to the closing night again Cat?

#32 Sam4God

Sam4God

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 10:26 PM

I doubt Billy Elliot would close any time soon. It's currently selling tickets up to December 2013! And the theatre's almost always at least 3/4 full. It's also one of the few West End shows that doesn't do student discounts, yet lots of young people (students I assume) go see it all the time. I wouldn't worry about it closing for at least another 2 years.
WEST END: Wicked X80 | Billy Elliot X91 | Singin' In The Rain X25 | Avenue Q X16 | Legally Blonde X27 | Matilda X5 | The Lion King X5 | Sound of Music X1 | Les Miserables X5 | Joseph and The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat X2 | We Will Rock You X4 | The 39 Steps X15 | Oliver X3 | Chicago X2 | Mamma Mia! X7 |  Hair X3 | Ghost Stories X1 | Jersey Boys X7 | Enron X1 | Blood Brothers X3 | All The Fun of the Fair X1 | Phantom of the Opera X5 | Flashdance X3 | Stomp X1 | Grease The Musical X3 | Sweet Charity X2 | The Woman In Black X2 | Priscilla X2 | Dreamboats and Petticoats X1 | The Glass Menagerie X1 | Love Never Dies X2 | Wizard of Oz X3 | Deathtrap X1 | Sister Act X5 | Love Story X2 | Ordinary Days X1 | End of the Rainbow X1 | Umbrellas of Cherbourg X3 | Flare Path X1 | Spelling Bee X1 | Shrek X7 | Thrill Me X1 | Lend Me A Tenor X2 | Ghost X3 | Betty Blue Eyes X1 | Rock of Ages X3 | Master Class X1 | One Man, Two Guv'nors X2 | Pitmen Painters X1 | Soho Cinders X2 | Spamalot x3 | Sweeney Todd X1 | Volcano X1 | Loserville X6 | Good Night Mr. Tom X1 | Scrooge X1 | Once X2 | A Chorus Line X5 | Curious Incident X2 | Beautiful Thing X1 | Merrily We Roll Along X1 | A Midsummer Night's Dream X2 | Book of Mormon X2 | From Here To Eternity X1 | Stephen Ward X1 | The Commitments X1 | I Can't Sing X2 | Dirty Rotten Scoundrels X1 | The Duck House X1

FRINGE: Smokey Joe's Cafe X1 | Tomorrow Morning X3 | Company X1 | The Kissing Dance X2 | Road Show X1 | Crazy For You X1 | The Belle's Stratagem X3 | Pippin X1 | Kissing Sid James X1 | Mack & Mabel X1 | Taboo X1 | Victor/Victoria X1 | Bully Boy X1 | Daddy Long Legs X1 | Merrily We Roll Along X1 | Lift X4 | Payback the Musical X1 | Candide X1 | The A to Z of Mrs P X1

BROADWAY: Wicked X1 | Newsies X1 | Annie X1

ON TOUR: Les Miserables (Barbican) X1 | Evita (Wimbledon) X1 | Annie (Woking) X1 | Hairspray (Woking) X1 | Avenue Q (Bromley) X2 | Avenue Q (Richmond) X2 | Avenue Q (Woking) X2 | Avenue Q (High Wycombe) X2 | Avenue Q (Southampton) X1 | Avenue Q (Milton Keynes) X1 | Avenue Q (Salford) X1 | Avenue Q (Cardiff) X1 | Avenue Q (Belfast) X1 | Avenue Q (Northampton) X2 | Jekyll & Hyde (Woking) X1 | Legally Blonde (Bristol) X2 | Legally Blonde (York) X1 | Legally Blonde (Glasgow) X1 | Legally Blonde (Edinburgh) X1 | Sister Act (Oxford) X1 | Legally Blonde (Wimbledon) X1 | Rent 20th Anniversary Concert X5 | West Side Story X1 | Wicked X10 | Seven Brides for Seven Brothers X1 | Fiddler on the Roof X1 | Fame X1 | Tonight's The Night X1

CHICHESTER: She Loves Me X3

OPEN AIR THEATRE: Crazy For You X1, Sound of Music X1

NATIONAL THEATRE: Welcome To Thebes X1 | London Road X1 | Curious Incident X1 | The Light Princess X1

OTHER: Vampirette (Manchester) X2, Loserville (Leeds) X1

#33 David J

David J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 10:28 PM

View PostJamiem, on 13 July 2012 - 08:37 PM, said:

It's tour is already pencilled so you're still be able to see it and I'm sure it will be as good. The producers of Billy Elliott have looked after their show so well unlike many other producers!

So we are absolutely sure that Billy Elliot will finish at London and go on a tour in a year or so?

I was thinking of going to London next month and it was a toss up between Billy Elliot and Mamma Mia, but if there is going to be a cheaper option in the near future then I can wait. I am also sure The Mayflower will be included in the tour if Phantom and Les Miserables can come
My reviews can also be found at "A Night at the Theatre"

http://www.anightatthetheatre.co.uk/

#34 djp

djp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 01:40 AM

View Postcat123, on 13 July 2012 - 08:21 PM, said:

It's one of my favourites too, i've seen it about 20 times. I thought it would run for a while, very dissapointed.

Saw it a lot in 2008-09 and then when they reprised some of their great past Roxie's and Velmas like Ruthie and Bonnie. Didn't quite get the casting since. They obviously cared about the show a  lot to move it, but they actually deployed fewer known names to it  and continued to use US faces in London -  which never looked a ticket seller. Doubly odd as there were some obvious TV  names they could have used who have  all the singing and acting skills ,  and there's well known WestEnd possibles and  past great performers who appear to be free and might have pulled more people in to keep the rest of the cast and the show on the road. Might not have worked, may not have added up  and the producers may not have wanted to fight more, but its odd that the  show thats got a reputation for deploying big names didn't  use that ploy when it may have most needed it.  Triply odd because they have managed to find a popular well known TV  pairing for the tour - who are well up there with the West End standard.

Sad because it was a long established show for all the right reasons - with plenty of scope for new performers to do something interesting with the roles. Also a waste  because they can't now transfer the current touring leads  in when the tour ends. Interesting to see if its going to be replaced by another, cheaper play, or a Broadway import trying to cross the Atlantic,  or something homegrown and homeless.

#35 Jamiem

Jamiem

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 07:51 AM

I think one should look a little closer at why Chicago moved from the Cambridge, it was doing ok there but the theatre owner wanted Matilda perhaps a deal was struck? Perhaps the move to the Garrick was paid for? perhaps Andre Ptaszysuki moved it in the back of his car and the producers of Chicago were heavily compensated?

#36 Danube

Danube

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 08:04 AM

View Postdjp, on 14 July 2012 - 01:40 AM, said:

Triply odd because they have managed to find a popular well known TV  pairing for the tour - who are well up there with the West End standard.
Sorry to be a bit OT, but do you know if the touring production is any good?  It's going to be on at my parents' local theatre coinciding nicely with my Mum's birthday, so I was thinking about getting some tickets.  They won't have a clue who the celebs stars are, so they need to be good!

#37 cat123

cat123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3357 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 08:14 AM

I'm glad they stopped stunt casting!! I'm glad it's closing with 2 non-celebrities in the title role. Sarah's fantastic, and though all I've seen of Rachel was their little set at West End Live this year, she seemed very good also. The worst people I've seen as Roxie have been 'celebs', some of the best have been understudies. Stunt casting may have pulled the masses in but it didn't work for me!

Of course I'm going to closing night :) Booked my ticket about half an hour after I found out! Front row centre of the upper circle. I hate the stalls in the Garrick!

#38 Danube

Danube

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 08:44 AM

I think the stunt casting put a lot of people off.

I've seen some excellent "people off the telly" in the theatre, and more often than not they are also very capable theatre performers and if they weren't famous, they'd fit in just fine.  But in the case of Chicago, the stream of celebs being brought in for short runs has given the general public the impression that their casting is all about the celebrity, and not about ability and that they'll take anyone who is fairly well known if they can vaguely hold a tune, and a few who can't.  It looks like the show is aimed at people who don't know/care much for theatre, and people see it as a bit of a joke.

It makes you think the show isn't good enough to stand on its own, which I don't believe to be true, but it's hard to imagine they'd bother with such extreme stunt casting otherwise.  We all understand there are benefits of having someone well known who will get a bit of press attention and get people talking, but for a few years now, the talk about new Chicago casting has not put the show in a good light.

A few years ago, if a celeb had "Chicago in the West End" on their CV, you'd think that they must be reasonably good to be given the opportunity.  These days, and in the absence of other credits, you just assume they weren't good enough for a more discerning show.

#39 richard2711

richard2711

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 08:51 AM

View PostDanube, on 14 July 2012 - 08:04 AM, said:

Sorry to be a bit OT, but do you know if the touring production is any good?  It's going to be on at my parents' local theatre coinciding nicely with my Mum's birthday, so I was thinking about getting some tickets.  They won't have a clue who the celebs stars are, so they need to be good!

I really enjoyed the tour. It was just starting out when I saw it and Ali and Tupele hadn't quite grown into their roles but were okay. Stefan Booth, however, was one of the best Billy's I've seen (quite a surprise!), and everyone loves a Nolan. Go! Go! Go!

#40 Jamiem

Jamiem

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 09:40 AM

I don't like The Nolans

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users