4 replies to this topic

#1 Coricolonzo

Coricolonzo

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 07:24 PM

Hey there!

I am from Germany - so first of all I wanna apologize for my English, but I do not practise very often... So please be generous about mistakes. ;0)

I am really interested if you also follows in musical develpoment in foreign-language countries or maybe travelling to other countries to see these shows.

So have you heard or maybe seen Elisabeth, the musical about the Austrian empress (must successful German-language musical) or about Tanz der Vampire, a show based on Polanskis movie The Fearless Vampire Killers.

Do you know, that in Hamburg, Germany, in December a production of "Rocky - The musical" (about the boxer) is going to have its world premieren?

Well, I am really interested if and what you will reply - and I have to say thanks for your posts!

#2 Steve10086

Steve10086

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 09:01 PM

Have seen Elisabeth and Tanz and wish both shows were in the West End

#3 savethekakapo

savethekakapo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 07:34 AM

I love Elizabeth- I've never been able to see it on stage but have had score for a while and last Christmas got DVD ( which is fantastic).  I would certainly travel to see a production. Among other musicals and plays that I've seen in non Englishbspeakingbversions are Singing in the Rain in Danish in Copenhagen, Les Mis and Saturday Night Fever in Spanish in Madrid which as my Spanish is bad and Danish is non existent is helped by knowing the story.
Most recent theatre:July = Chariots of Fire, Richard III, Country Wife, Mack and Mabel, Physicists. JUNE = What the Butler Saw, Collaborators, Posh, The Thing About Men, Torch song Trilogy, Lillies, Duchess of Malfi, Jekyll and Hyde, Mystery of Edwin Drood. MAY = Ragtime, Antigone, Wild Swans, Tale of Two Cities. APRIL = Salena Jones, The Glorious Ones, Drugstore, Steps, After Miss Julie. MARCH = Floyd Collins, Bingo, Wizard of Oz. FEBRUARY = Hayfever, Singing in the Rain, Masterclass, Sleeping with Straight Men, Ladykillers. JANUARY = After the Turn, Children of Eden, She Stoops to Conquer, Crazy For You, Backbeat, Rock of Ages, Shrek, Matilda, A Round-Heeled Woman. 2011 DECEMBER = Reason To Be Pretty, Pippin. NOVEMBER = Goodbye Barcelona, How the World Began, Juno and the Paycock, Britanicus, Kill Bill, Railway Children. OCTOBER = Driving Miss Daisy, Sweeney Todd, South Downs & Browning Version! Decade, Conquer, Crazy for You, Backbeat, Rock of Ages, Baker's Wife, Sweeney Todd, South Downs & Browning Version, Decade and My City.

#4 Steffi

Steffi

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • Interests:Find me on twitter @Steffi_G

Posted 18 July 2012 - 12:39 PM

I am German myself but don't really follow the musical scene in Germany anymore simply because I find it rather dull and repetitive these days with the same old shows just "wandering" from city to city (Tanz der Vampire, Elisabeth, We will rock you etc).
If we get a new show it's usually one that just doesn't excite me at all like Ich war noch niemals in New York (which has now joined the touring circle as well) and the upcoming Rocky musical.
I will only go and see a show over here now when someone I know is in the cast. That's what made me go and watch Kein Pardon and although I didn't hate it it was rather average compared to the quality of shows I have seen in the UK. There are fringe shows in London that are better than the big productions in Germany these days. I feel the quality of shows in Germany has decreased over the years which is a shame (the ticket prices on the other hand seem to know no limit - I would never think of paying 150 Euros for 1 ticket to see a musical).

So yes, I am travelling to another country to see shows but in my case that country is the UK. :)

#5 Danilo

Danilo

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:00 PM

My wife is Hungarian, and so we watch a lot of theatre when we are out there.
Elisabeth and Tanz der Vampire (Vampirok Balja) are both excellent. I've also seen very good productions of Phantom and Les Mis (although maybe not as grand as the originals).
The theatre scene (with shows playing in rep) is very different there - and it's quite possible to see the same actors in several different roles in just a week. For example, the outstanding Geza Egyhazi (who would be a leading man in any major theatre city in my opinion) played Jean Valjean, Danilo in The Merry Widow, and Count von Krolock (Vampirok Balja) in the space of 6 days over Christmas!
For actors there, they rarely if ever have the strain of 8 shows a week, but the other challenge of the auditioning, learning and rehearsing multiple shows at once.
Despite these challenges (and the fact most shows are multiple cast, so have little rehearsal time), & the smaller production budgets, there are still some great shows. (And in most theatres, top price tickets are well under £20!)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users