Backdrifter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Interests:Moving, sleeping, eating, not being here

Gender says 'not telling' but, clue: I own some Y chromosomes

Posted 10 February 2009 - 12:00 PM

I saw this pleasingly entertaining undemanding production at a less-than-half-full Rose. It runs until Saturday. Good performances and positive reactions from the audience, but without the verve and energy of a much fuller house this sort of farce lacks that extra something to really carry it along.

It's the only thing in the current repetoire that attracted me so unfortunately I won't be adding to the numbers for the rest of this season. As a local, I really wish there was more to entice me.

Had a very nice pre-show meal at Jamie's Italian, just over the road. You won't have tasted tiramisu quite like it - luscious but deadly.
Turn up the signal... wipe out the noise

#2 Guest_Guest_Sarah_*_*

Guest_Guest_Sarah_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2009 - 12:31 AM

(oops, first time poster and it's gone wrong already!)

I saw this too and enjoyed it much more than I thought I would. Very enjoyable. I do worry for the Rose, it was a Friday night and the theatre was half full (if that).

And likewise, the rest of the season has little that appeals.. I do worry for this theatre, it's such a lovely new building and to see it so empty at the weekend is such a shame. At least Jo Brand has sold out (I think).

#3 Backdrifter

Backdrifter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Interests:Moving, sleeping, eating, not being here

Gender says 'not telling' but, clue: I own some Y chromosomes

Posted 16 February 2009 - 09:58 AM

Yes, I think they have badly misjudged this whole project. I reckon the needs of theatregoers in that catchment area are served by Richmond Theatre and the Orange Tree. The Rose was conceived as an ambitious producing house with that Elizabethan auditorium and a studio, but has turned out an awkward and unfocused mix of received productions with a smattering of in-house stuff. I don't believe there's much diversity in the cultural leanings of Kingston residents, and what little there is isn't being served by the Rose's repertoire. I don't have a feel for how much travelling trade they get. Plus, that Elizabethan auditorium is so limiting in terms of staging. I think it was a mistake to go for that layout.

I hate to be pessimistic, especially as a keen theatregoer who is local to the Rose, but I just can't see the way forward for it.
Turn up the signal... wipe out the noise

#4 MrsDoyle

MrsDoyle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 11:13 PM

QUOTE(Backdrifter @ Feb 16 2009, 09:58 AM) View Post
Yes, I think they have badly misjudged this whole project. I reckon the needs of theatregoers in that catchment area are served by Richmond Theatre and the Orange Tree. The Rose was conceived as an ambitious producing house with that Elizabethan auditorium and a studio, but has turned out an awkward and unfocused mix of received productions with a smattering of in-house stuff. I don't believe there's much diversity in the cultural leanings of Kingston residents, and what little there is isn't being served by the Rose's repertoire. I don't have a feel for how much travelling trade they get. Plus, that Elizabethan auditorium is so limiting in terms of staging. I think it was a mistake to go for that layout.

I hate to be pessimistic, especially as a keen theatregoer who is local to the Rose, but I just can't see the way forward for it.

Having been brought up in the area that's sad to hear though I have to admit I haven't as yet left the stix to see the Rose. WTaW is coming to Guildford soon and although I have a morbid fear of farce I am tempted to see it as I have enjoyed everything I have seen by the ETT.

#5 Guest_guest_*

Guest_guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2009 - 10:14 AM

The Rose is a marvellous achievement and an impressive theatre space - for large-scale classical work. However, we saw "Born in the Gardens there last year, and it was immediately apparent that, with anything less than a full house, the huge volume of the theatre sucks away enrgy. you may only be a few yards from the stage, but the gap is yawning. On the stalls level, the huge unseated area vaguely echoing the pit of an Elizabethan theatre, where one or two hardy souls squat on cushions, decreases the intimacy even further for much of the audience.  Though it would play hell with sightlines, that whole level could and should be reseated with rows in a more shallow curve. The solid back wall and lack of wing space are very limiting for staging, too.  Perhaps concert performances of musicals would work.

#6 Laughingmonsta

Laughingmonsta

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2424 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 10:36 AM

I saw this in Liverpool have to say what a complete load of utter direness.
This is my street, I smile at the faces I've known all my life, They regard me with pride.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users