Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:11 AM

#64 greeny11

greeny11

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:19 PM

Saw the tour this afternoon, and I have to say it's just as strong as the first tour - set is basically the same, as are the costumes and wigs, bar a new finale wig for Motormouth (which looked great).

Mark Benton was great as Edna.  He wasn't quite as feminine as Michael Starke's Edna (the only other Edna I've seen live), but he made it work - and he is a surprisingly good singer.

Lucy Benjamin was very good as Velma - she played the nasty side very well, but she had some moments which were hilarious (especially one moment between the 2 parts of You Can't Stop The Beat) - her singing was strong too.

Marcus Collins was really great as Seaweed.  We all know he can sing, and his singing was unsurprisingly fabulous.  His dancing was absolutely fantastic, and his acting was very good too - no hint of his Scouse accent either which was lovely.

Freya Sutton is a star in the making.  She is the perfect Tracy, she can sing brilliantly, she can dance and her acting was great.  I loved Laurie on the last tour, and I'd say Freya is just as good on this tour.

Sandra Marvin is perfection in her role.  I love her acting of the part, and her voice is stunning.  Her rendition of I Know Where I've Been was just amazing, and deservedly got the loudest applause of the show.

Paul Rider as Wilbur doesn't have much to do, but what he did was great - and his big number with Mark went down a treat with the Salford audience.  They've cut most of the ad libbing bit out, which actually worked OK.

Piers Bate was Corny today, and he did very well, though Corny has maybe even less to do than Wilbur, but his voice was very good.

Luke Striffler was a great Link - his voice is fantastic and his dancing was very strong.  His acting was very good too - he worked very well with Freya.

Gemma Sutton was a great Amber, she got a lot of comedy out of the part and was very good singing and dancing wise.

Lauren Hood had me in stitches for most of the time she was on stage.  Even when the spotlight wasn't on her, she was doing something goofy or dancing out of time with everyone else which made me laugh.  She has a great voice too.

Special shout out to Wendy Somerville who is fantastic as the Female Authority Figure.  I never saw the show in London (I believe she played the part throughout the London run), but I'm glad she's on this tour as she is hilarious, especially as Prudy Pingleton.

I must say the ensemble too were really great - they were all very strong vocally and the dancing was spot on.  The band were great, and it was lovely to see the MD clearly having a ball.  He really got the audience going at the beginning of act 2.

Overall, this tour is definitely of the same quality as the last tour.  The performances are fantastic, and it really doesn't feel like a cut down version of a West End show, which some touring productions can sometimes feel like.

#65 Chewing the Scenery

Chewing the Scenery

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 10:06 AM

Hello,

I've reviewed this tour of Hairspray at the Bradford Alhambra here;

wp.me/p1mzMt-lw

I'd love to know what everybody else thought who has seen it recently? :)

- Harry Zing
Chewingthescenery.com

#66 Showstopper

Showstopper

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 02:44 PM

Palladium November - Feb 2014

#67 louloubee

louloubee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 11:57 PM

View PostShowstopper, on 18 March 2013 - 02:44 PM, said:

Palladium November - Feb 2014

Brilliant news! If its true... Will it be the same cast on tour or new people?

#68 mrtheatre123

mrtheatre123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1002 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 07:09 PM

Anyway to find out if a certain cast member is on holiday at a certain time ??? often you can see on the offical page for a show but cant see it on the hairspray site!!

#69 greeny11

greeny11

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 11:46 PM

The cast have a couple of week long breaks during the tour, so I don't think there will be many holiday dates tbh.

#70 Coggit

Coggit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:21 AM

Off to see it on Thursday. Pretty excited. I've seen a few bootleg recordings and it's something I've always wanted to see live. We actually went into London twice with the intention of seeing it, however both times we were tempted at Tkts with another show! :(!
2013 Theatre
[West End] Shrek****, The Phantom of the Opera***, Spamalot****,The Phantom of the Opera*****, Viva Forever*, Jersey Boys****, This House***, The Book of Mormon*****, Marinda Sings Live! ***** (Booked for: Stephen Ward, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory)
[UK Tour] The Phantom of the Opera*****, Rocky Horror Show***, Hairspray****, The 39 Steps**, The Mousetrap***, Starlight Express****, Rocky Horror Show****

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users