Jump to content


* * * * * 1 votes

Priscilla Tour


  • Please log in to reply
146 replies to this topic

#111 snowy01

snowy01

    Advanced Member

  • Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 06:47 PM

I saw Priscilla in Bristol, on its last day in the city, I thought it was brilliant, Jason Donovan was a bit lack lusture on one or two songs but then very good through out the rest of the show and good chemistry with the young lad playing benjy, Richard Grieve was brilliant as bernadette and Graham Weaver was also brilliant, my highlight "We Belong"

#112 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

    Advanced Member

  • Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1311 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 10:18 PM

Priscilla with no bus ... Genius.

#113 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

    Advanced Member

  • Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:02 PM

View PostMrBarnaby, on 28 April 2013 - 10:18 PM, said:

Priscilla with no bus ... Genius.
Yes, shockingly bad. I suppose this is to accommodate the smaller venues the tour is playing. But the prices don't reflect the lack of a bus!

#114 BurlyBeaR

BurlyBeaR

    Advanced Member

  • Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Manchester

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:41 AM

View Postwickedgrin, on 28 April 2013 - 11:02 PM, said:


Yes, shockingly bad. I suppose this is to accommodate the smaller venues the tour is playing. But the prices don't reflect the lack of a bus!

Don't they? I've seen some touring productions in Manchester that were more expensive that Priscilla and not as good technically. I thought my £45 front stalls ticket was incredible value, it was a better show than the Lion King which I saw the week before and is a replica (apparently) of the London production.  

Please try to get over this "if it's not like the west end production it's rubbish" attitude. It's very limiting.

#115 snowy01

snowy01

    Advanced Member

  • Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 06:48 PM

View PostBurlyBeaR, on 29 April 2013 - 12:41 AM, said:

Don't they? I've seen some touring productions in Manchester that were more expensive that Priscilla and not as good technically. I thought my £45 front stalls ticket was incredible value, it was a better show than the Lion King which I saw the week before and is a replica (apparently) of the London production.  

Please try to get over this "if it's not like the west end production it's rubbish" attitude. It's very limiting.

I agree, the touring production of Priscilla was great and the differences (ie new songs) fitted well, the 3 leads all connected too

#116 Titan

Titan

    Advanced Member

  • Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3400 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 06:56 PM

Its not a case of not being like the west end, its a case of very cheap production values when charging the top end of touring show prices. A show can be different to the west end but still offer a quality production (eg phantom) The bus is embaressing and more could have been done. I know people have left at interval and made negative comments so its not an opinion of just people here.

#117 Jamiem

Jamiem

    Advanced Member

  • Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 04 May 2013 - 07:52 PM

View PostTitan, on 04 May 2013 - 06:56 PM, said:

Its not a case of not being like the west end, its a case of very cheap production values when charging the top end of touring show prices. A show can be different to the west end but still offer a quality production (eg phantom) The bus is embaressing and more could have been done. I know people have left at interval and made negative comments so its not an opinion of just people here.

You are so right
Audiences are being ripped off
It's a disgrace and theatre will lose its audience

#118 D'James

D'James

    Advanced Member

  • Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 01:46 PM

View PostBurlyBeaR, on 29 April 2013 - 12:41 AM, said:



Don't they? I've seen some touring productions in Manchester that were more expensive that Priscilla and not as good technically. I thought my £45 front stalls ticket was incredible value, it was a better show than the Lion King which I saw the week before and is a replica (apparently) of the London production.  

Please try to get over this "if it's not like the west end production it's rubbish" attitude. It's very limiting.

I've been trying to think how to answer this post for a while. I don't want it to sound patronising at all. I think if the first time I saw the show was on tour with that bus, then I would've enjoyed it as much as I did the first time I saw it in London. However, having seen it in London first, seeing this touring bus would be a huge let-down, there's no way around it - it's not as impressive. You do pay more for top price tickets in London so you expect more.

The bus is obviously a massive problem for touring this show - the show's named after it for crying out loud.

The shows that I've seen in London and on tour that I know best are Starlight and Sister Act. The best adaptation from London is Sister Act. Yes, the set in London was huge and moved a lot more but the only bit which suffered slightly on tour was the Fabulous, Baby reprise as the Nuns weren't on their platform at the back so weren't as easy to see from the stalls. However the set NEVER affected the plot.

The opposite can be said for Starlight. It was inevitable as there was no way they could've toured the London set round the country. The races have been turned into 3D film. For someone who's seen the show in London (and in Germany in its purpose-built Theatre) the tour is missing something despite the amazing cast on the most recent tour.

Basically, once you've seen a show, you can't unsee it. This is why the Priscilla bus looks disappointing. Those who saw Starlight on your for the first time probably enjoyed it as much as I did in London but I did not because I'd seen it done on a bigger scale. There is no way around this as touring productions need to have sets which can be moved more easily. You, and the producers, however, must expect that people who saw the London production of Priscilla will be disappointed by the touring bus and we should be able to express it - especially on a Message Board for opinions on the Theatre.

#119 Steve

Steve

    Advanced Member

  • Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:London

Posted 10 May 2013 - 11:26 AM

This is going a bit off topics, but...

The recent Starlight tour was great. I didn't mind the 3d races. It was as gimmicky as the original London production having people skating around you.

Priscilla does have a bus that's been scaled down a bit, but still works very well. The set in London was quite bare without the bus. The only bit I didn't like on the tour was the silly sign that kept saying where you were.

Last night I saw Ghost and the set for this isn't really scaled down, just re-imagined. This has to be one of the best touring sets I've seen for any show that's in a theatre for 2 weeks. How they can manage to move that lot in 2 days I have no idea. So complex.

#120 Ghostmusicalfan

Ghostmusicalfan

    Advanced Member

  • Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Manchester

Posted 10 May 2013 - 02:24 PM

View PostSteve, on 10 May 2013 - 11:26 AM, said:

This is going a bit off topics, but...

The recent Starlight tour was great. I didn't mind the 3d races. It was as gimmicky as the original London production having people skating around you.

Priscilla does have a bus that's been scaled down a bit, but still works very well. The set in London was quite bare without the bus. The only bit I didn't like on the tour was the silly sign that kept saying where you were.

Last night I saw Ghost and the set for this isn't really scaled down, just re-imagined. This has to be one of the best touring sets I've seen for any show that's in a theatre for 2 weeks. How they can manage to move that lot in 2 days I have no idea. So complex.

Ghost takes 10 trucks, and a total of 110 crew to move the set.  An epic sight to see!
2013:

JANUARY: Peter Pan (Mcr Opera House), One Man Two Guvnors (Lowry), Of Mice and Men (Bolton Octagon), Moscow State Circus (Lowry)
FEBRUARY: Priscilla (Mcr Opera House), Jethro (Lowry), Guinness World Records (Lowry), Peacock & Gamble (Lowry)
MARCH: Book of Mormon (LDN), Billy Elliot (LDN), Horrible Histories (Lowry), New Jersey Nights (Mcr Opera House), 8 out of 10 Cats (Media City), Hairspray (School Production), The Hollies (Lowry), Marti Pellow (Lowry), Sing-a-long a Grease (Lowry), Rocky Horror (Mcr Opera House)
APRIL: Ghost on Tour Cardiff x6, Ghost on Tour Wimbledon x1
MAY: Woman in Black (Lowry), Blues Brothers - Approved (Mcr Opera House), Ghost on Tour Edinburgh x3, Carnaby Street (Mcr Opera House)
JUNE: Omid Djalili (Lowry) Ghost on Tour Wolverhampton x2, Ghost on Tour Leeds x4, Sherlock Holmes (Mcr Opera House)
JULY:  Ghost on Tour Manchester x23, Joseph (Stockport Plaza), Rehearsal Space (Mcr Fringe), Countdown (Media City), Mastermind (Media City), Dave Grusin & Lee Ritenor (Mcr Fringe), Disney Live (Lowry), Momentous Musicals (Mcr Palace)
AUGUST:  Grease (Mcr Palace), Soul Sister (L'pool Empire), How to Succeed in Business (Lowry), Evita (Lowry), Ghost Nottingham, 9 to 5 (Mcr Opera House), NYMT West Side Story (Victoria Warehouse Mcr)
SEPTEMBER:  Blood Brothers (Lowry), Cabaret (Mcr Opera House), Ghost Bristol x2, Nina Conti (Lowry), Ghost Milton Keynes x4, Chicago (Oldham Coliseum), Once London
OCTOBER: Ghost Glasgow x3, The Illusionists (Mcr Apollo), Wicked (Mcr Palace), Rocky Horror (Wolverhampton), Stephen K Amoss (Lowry)
NOVEMBER: Ghost Southampton x2, Ghost is Dancing (Mayflower),Ghost Woking, Cabaret Fandangles (Kings Arms), War Horse (Lowry), Rent (Mcr Palace), Ghost Sunderland x2
DECEMBER: Ghost Birmingham x3
106




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users