#121 BurlyBeaR

BurlyBeaR

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 04:00 PM

View PostD, on 09 May 2013 - 01:46 PM, said:

Basically, once you've seen a show, you can't unsee it. This is why the Priscilla bus looks disappointing. Those who saw Starlight on your for the first time probably enjoyed it as much as I did in London but I did not because I'd seen it done on a bigger scale. There is no way around this as touring productions need to have sets which can be moved more easily. You, and the producers, however, must expect that people who saw the London production of Priscilla will be disappointed by the touring bus and we should be able to express it - especially on a Message Board for opinions on the Theatre.

I was responding primarily to MrBarnaby's comment "the prices don't reflect the lack of a bus". Well, unless you can get a non-discounted ATG theatres premium seat in The West End for 45 then  they clearly do!

On the wider subject I agree, you can't un-see a show. In which case it maybe better not to see tours if you'd seen the original. However that strategy would have prevented me from seeking the 25th Anniversary tour of Les Miserables which I thought was better than the West End version.

Bottom line, coming onto message boards and slating touring productions on the basis that the set is different isn't doing theatre any good, and the general attitude of superiority displayed by some people is boring, and very "London".

#122 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3373 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 04:27 PM

Well i dont live in london and never have, and love my regional theatre and see more regional than i do london. Whilst i would not necessarily expect the west end set, they could have done more than what they did. Priscilla barely has a set anyway except the bus. Hell Summer Holiday toured. They could have put a back wall on the bus with an interior design inside and the screens outside. There are other options

#123 Richey

Richey

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 06:36 AM

Fantastic response in Liverpool last night. The show seems to have improved since I saw it on the first week of the tour in Manchester. The leads really seem to gel together. Glad to see they've got rid of the sequence where the bus hits different animals which always seemed silly to me.
A few annoying women in the audience seemed to think they were at a panto and were shouting out things and oohing and aahing.

#124 Mothers Younger Brother

Mothers Younger Brother

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 10:03 PM

I have a kinda odd, spoiler question: (Seeing as there is no side to the bus, how/where is the "go home f*ggots" written? )

#125 Jess173

Jess173

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 07:16 AM

@Mothers Younger Brother: The words are displayed on screens located in the "windows" of the bus!

Here's a picture of the screens!

http://www.xlvideo.t...13600x35001.jpg

(Sorry for the URL but I'm on my phone right now and linking to the text doesn't work...)

#126 TheatreDust

TheatreDust

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 07:22 AM

On a different topic, has anyone noticed that some of the fans have got together and are campaigning for a cast recording from the tour?  

https://www.change.o...recording#share

I've seen the show a couple of times on tour and I can see what they are getting at.  The vocal performances are fantastic! IMHO Noel Sullivan is a lot better than Jason Donovan, but I guess that is just personal taste.

#127 BurlyBeaR

BurlyBeaR

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 05:44 PM

Tour comes back to Manchester in February 14, this time at The Palace. Happy to see it again, and premium still only £45!

#128 bradleyconnor

bradleyconnor

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 10:31 AM

Seeing this in Bradford, October 11th. Not really sure what to think of the show - is it good? whats the storyline? good set?
Musicals/Plays seen -
2011 - The WIZ (Leeds)
2012 - Two (Manchester), Chicago UK Tour (Manchester), Grease UK Tour (Manchester), Blood Brothers UK Tour (Manchester)
2013 - Billy Elliot (London) x2, Shrek The Musical (London), Matilda (London), Wicked (London), Hairspray UK Tour (Leeds), Priscilla Queen of The Dessert UK Tour (Bradford)
2014 - Les Miserables (London), I Cant Sing! (London)

#129 JME52K

JME52K

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 11:18 PM

View Postbradleyconnor, on 28 September 2013 - 10:31 AM, said:

Seeing this in Bradford, October 11th. Not really sure what to think of the show - is it good? whats the storyline? good set?

Not much of a storyline or set really. Three gay men touring Australia on a bus(Priscilla), performing every night as drag queens and their lives and loves. I really enjoyed it when I saw it in Leeds and will be seeing it again when it comes to Sheffield where I live.

#130 Palatio

Palatio

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 07:34 PM

Good fun, but donovan was VERY much the weakest link by far. Vocally just about adequate and a very naff camp portrayal with no depth. And the bus was hilariously cheap but a great few hours.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users