Posted 22 September 2012 - 10:58 PM

Press night is Wed 3rd October - earlier than usual start for the performance

#32 musicalfan

musicalfan

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 11:29 PM

I was at the first preview tonight/last night, and all I'll say is that it was absolutely marvellous in all aspects, and is well on its way to becoming/already a truly great musical that differs/develops upon the film! Very spontaneous, deserved standing ovation, and both the end of Act One and Two are complete show stoppers that you won't forget in a hurry. Both Ovenden and Craig are fantastic, but the true stars of the show are the four children, all of whom completely hold their own, especially the youngest, whom tonight was played by a six year old, yet held his own against his adult cast mates! Absolutely no glitches, and there didn't feel to be anything that absolutely needed to be cut. This definitely deserves a successful London run, and I'm trying to scrape together funds so I can see it again in Leicester during its very short run! If anyone has any questions, ask away, and I shall do my very best to answer them. All I will say for now is that if you can get to see it, do so, for the writing, design, and performances are all perfection!

#33 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1386 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 04:03 AM

How is the production in terms of set and scale? Good to hear the positive notices, 2013's already looking busy with The Book of Mormon, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Once so Finding Neverland needs to try stand out when it transfer to London in terms of publicity and marketing the show.

#34 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3357 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 06:15 AM

how does it compare to the movie, which i love. the posters call it a musical comedy so im worried it is changed greatly. also is the ending the same as the movie?

#35 musicalfan

musicalfan

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 08:14 AM

View PostJon, on 23 September 2012 - 04:03 AM, said:

How is the production in terms of set and scale? Good to hear the positive notices, 2013's already looking busy with The Book of Mormon, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Once so Finding Neverland needs to try stand out when it transfer to London in terms of publicity and marketing the show.

The set is large, but not Palladium scale, I think it could do well in a Savoy/Shaftesbury size venue. The unit set is three vast, classically architectural walls, all of which are gauzes so things can happen behind them, and projections can be shined on to them, although this does change when the more... magical elements come along, which I really don't want to spoil, and there's a lot of automation to create the various settings, and there's a full size facade of the Duke of Yorks that comes down at one point. However, I think the scale of the show, and the special requirements that they said the Curve could provide must be a lot to do with the flying, which is very impressive, and integral to the plot.

View PostTitan, on 23 September 2012 - 06:15 AM, said:

how does it compare to the movie, which i love. the posters call it a musical comedy so im worried it is changed greatly. also is the ending the same as the movie?

I loved the movie, but I think they've ramped up the drama, and added a lot more of the real life story of Barrie
SPOILER
(i.e. Sylvia having doubts about his intentions with the boys and her, him never being able to grow up because of the death of his brother and lack of love from his Mother, and also introduces his group of famous friends as a sextet.)
SPOILER
However, I believe the story that the musical tells is a much more engaging and dramatically interesting one than the film. The biggest change, however may be the increase of role for Mary, Barrie's wife, played by the fantastic Clare Foster, whose character now actually has something about her, and who actually meets the boys and Sylvia. Although in Act One, she comes across as a selfish, spoilt character, she redeems herself in Act Two. Regarding the musical comedy quote that a lot of people, myself included, have worried about, I would say its a musical comedy in the same way that Oklahoma and the classic musicals are comedies, in that there are comedic parts and tragic parts, but you do go out of the theatre feeling uplifted, most definitely. If I was to compare it to anything, it would have to be the Rogers and Hammerstein musicals: there are no modern belty numbers, just a lot of songs that help develop the plot, some of which are fun and joyous, and some of which will break your heart. I wrote on my twitter last night that a "classic new musical had been born", and I still agree. I don't know how it will do commercially in London, but the show is most definitely a crowd pleaser, and I can see it being the kind of show that will get terrific word of mouth and maybe, I hope, succeed in finding the audience it deserves.

#36 Jamie Kenny

Jamie Kenny

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 09:02 AM

SPOILER QUESTION: How was Slyvia's final scene staged? And how did the 1st Act end? Hearing on twitter it was great!

#37 musicalfan

musicalfan

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 09:19 AM

View PostJamie Kenny, on 23 September 2012 - 09:02 AM, said:

SPOILER QUESTION: How was Slyvia's final scene staged? And how did the 1st Act end? Hearing on twitter it was great!

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

Sylvia's final scene is absolutely beautiful. Peter Pan asks her to go to Neverland (she's dressed in her nightgown, just like Wendy), and she walks through all the performers, and the gauze lights up to reveal hundreds and hundreds of flowers decorating a giant staircase behind the back wall, and she starts to walk up until she is framed by a giant frame on the gauze, at which point the staircase begins to move backwards as she continues to climb up. The cast starts to disperse, Peter screaming "No", and leaving Barrie on stage, watching where she was, as Kensington Garden materialises around him. The end of Act One is stunning, and the first real glimpse into the fantasy world Barrie creates. Mary has just gone out for dinner with the critic who bludgeoned Barrie's last show, and Sylvia has told him that they shouldn't see each other again: Barrie's at his lowest point. He walks through the fog of London when the back wall rises and a pirate ship comes forward, Captain Hook in tow who tells him to "set sail on an adventure". The ship is a true sight to be seen, the sails taking up the full stage. They implore Barrie to create something new, go against the tide of what he has always written, and eventually he climbs aboard the ship, as mermaids appear. Barrie takes the wheel, and the ship floats further and further forward until, at the blackout, the ship is practically in the front row's laps! It truly is a spectacular moment, and everyone at the interval was abuzz with what had just happened. These two moments were truly highlights production wise, along with the final scene which I really think should be seen with an unknowing eye.

#38 JaszyR91

JaszyR91

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Interests:Everything Musical, Theatrical and Literary!

Posted 23 September 2012 - 09:31 AM

View Postmusicalfan, on 22 September 2012 - 11:29 PM, said:

I was at the first preview tonight/last night, and all I'll say is that it was absolutely marvellous in all aspects, and is well on its way to becoming/already a truly great musical that differs/develops upon the film! Very spontaneous, deserved standing ovation, and both the end of Act One and Two are complete show stoppers that you won't forget in a hurry. Both Ovenden and Craig are fantastic, but the true stars of the show are the four children, all of whom completely hold their own, especially the youngest, whom tonight was played by a six year old, yet held his own against his adult cast mates! Absolutely no glitches, and there didn't feel to be anything that absolutely needed to be cut. This definitely deserves a successful London run, and I'm trying to scrape together funds so I can see it again in Leicester during its very short run! If anyone has any questions, ask away, and I shall do my very best to answer them. All I will say for now is that if you can get to see it, do so, for the writing, design, and performances are all perfection!

Good to hear such a positive review of Finding Neverland!!
I'm booked to see it on the 10th October but I've been looking forward to it for ages!
I live in Leicester, so the Curve is my local theatre and it's great that it's been given the chance to really showcase its brilliant stage with what sounds to be a truly spectacular show!
"And the last remnants time destroys"

My twitter account:
https://twitter.com/imjeanvaljean
Follow me if you want x

Upcoming shows: Pippin (Broadway), If/Then (Broadway), Water Babies (Curve, Leicester), A View From The Bridge (Young Vic), Les Miserables (West End), Birdland (Royal Court)

#39 dippy

dippy

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 10:04 AM

I went too and agree with what musicalfan has been saying, I really enjoyed it too. I'd have liked a more traditional overture but can't really complain. I enjoyed the songs, sadly don't remember many of them that well this morning. I don't think I've ever seen so many randomly different things in a musical, however they all work, and not just work but work well! I guess that's what imagination is all about and it's amazing. I was dreading the romance aspects of it because of the clips they had released because I liked the relationship between James and Sylvia in the film, however I was pleasantly surprised. I wished Leicester was closer as I would love to see it again soon.

#40 theatreliker

theatreliker

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 06:58 PM

I think that press night is Thursday for whoever asked.
2014 theatre: Blithe Spirit (Gielgud)  Booked: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Savoy)  Waterbabies (Curve)  View from the Bridge (Young Vic)  Birdland (Royal Court).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users