#52 jon01

jon01

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 06:31 AM

View Postzyx123, on 23 September 2012 - 09:13 PM, said:

I noticed a few faults, there were a few dropped mics and Julian Ovenden's suit was split all the way down the back during the second act. Though that is to be expected at the first performance.

I guess the split in Julian's jacket is there so that he can be hooked up at the end of the show for the flying scene!

#53 Front Row Dress

Front Row Dress

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:50 AM

We went to see this in Leicester yesterday and did really enjoy it, but it has a huge flaw in that it really isn't the "musical comedy" it's being touted as. It is far too dark for kids, yet it is being pushed far too far to the family market for a totally adult audience. I expect there will be major rewrites before it hits the West End and they really need to drop the "comedy" bit. The trio of leads, Ovenden, Craig & Foster, are sensational though and I hope they stay with it. As usual full report on my blog http://www.frontrowd...ster-curve.html
www.frontrowdress.com

#54 Dawnstar

Dawnstar

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:15 PM

View PostFront Row Dress, on 07 October 2012 - 10:50 AM, said:

We went to see this in Leicester yesterday and did really enjoy it, but it has a huge flaw in that it really isn't the "musical comedy" it's being touted as. It is far too dark for kids, yet it is being pushed far too far to the family market for a totally adult audience.
I too saw it yesterday & I agree with this. There were kids sitting behind and in front of me and there was quite a lot of fidgeting and whispering indicating that there were parts that they did not understand and that therefore they were getting bored. Unsurprisingly the scenes with the pirates were the ones that seemed to go down best with the younger elements of the audience.

I thought that the production was excellent, definitely London standard (there were a couple of technical glitches at the end of Act 1 but not serious enough to adversely affect the show). The cast likewise were excellent. I was very impressed by the 4 boys, especially the one playing Peter, who I think from the headshots was Harry Polden. In fact the only "actor" on stage who I thought gave a slightly dodgy performance was the dog!

The only problem I had with it was that I found the music, while attractive, failed to memorable for me. Of course this might be my brain's fault but usually after going to a musical I am haunted for days after by large parts of several songs. A day after seeing Finding Neverland I can only recall a phrase each from 3 songs. Some of the songs just seemed to be there, not really either moving on the plot or amplifying characters' emotions. I hope that before the (I imagine inevitable) London transfer the composer has a look at some of the songs, especially in the first act.

By the way, did anyone else find that Sylvia's demise reminded them of the ending of Cats?!

#55 JaszyR91

JaszyR91

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Interests:Everything Musical, Theatrical and Literary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:05 AM

I went to see Finding Neverland last night and I thought it was spectacular!!!
It was great to see the Curve's vast stage utilized to it's full extent. The sets were some of the best I've seen and there were several visually stunning scenes. I wish there was a souvenir brochure or production stills!
The performances, of course, were excellent all round, but I was especially impressed with the children. The boy playing Peter had what sounded like the most difficult song I've heard a child sing and he pulled it off effortlessly.
As many have said, I agree that Act 2 is stronger than Act 1, but IMO the whole show worked well.
I had a tear in my eye by the end as did most of the audience from what I heard.
I'm hoping to see it again next week before it closes as I live in Leicester, but I really hope it transfers to the West End as it thoroughly deserves to! :D
"And the last remnants time destroys"

My twitter account:
https://twitter.com/imjeanvaljean
Follow me if you want x

Upcoming shows: Pippin (Broadway), If/Then (Broadway), Water Babies (Curve, Leicester), A View From The Bridge (Young Vic), Les Miserables (West End), Birdland (Royal Court)

#56 JaszyR91

JaszyR91

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 02:06 PM

I've booked to see this again next week
Does anyone know which days (if any) Julian Ovenden is due to be off?
His voice is beautiful!!! :)

My twitter account:
Follow me if you want x

Upcoming shows: Pippin (Broadway), If/Then (Broadway), Water Babies (Curve, Leicester), A View From The Bridge (Young Vic), Les Miserables (West End), Birdland (Royal Court)

#57 Steffi

Steffi

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • Interests:Find me on twitter @Steffi_G

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:22 AM

View PostJaszyR91, on 11 October 2012 - 02:06 PM, said:

I've booked to see this again next week
Does anyone know which days (if any) Julian Ovenden is due to be off?
His voice is beautiful!!! :)
Her was off on the 8th and at the moment doesn't have any more scheduled holidays. However, there are talks about Norman Bowman doing one more show next week but it hasn't been confirmed if this is going to happen.

#58 JaszyR91

JaszyR91

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:48 AM

View PostSteffi, on 12 October 2012 - 10:22 AM, said:

Her was off on the 8th and at the moment doesn't have any more scheduled holidays. However, there are talks about Norman Bowman doing one more show next week but it hasn't been confirmed if this is going to happen.

Thanks! I'm going on Monday - I wouldn't mind seeing Norman, but I loved Julian's performance so it would be great to see him again!

My twitter account:
Follow me if you want x

#59 theatreliker

theatreliker

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 10:28 PM

SPOILERS:
First of all, let me say that this is an excellent piece of theatre about writing, theatre, imagination, inspiration and much more.
The two leads had amazing voices and the whole cast were great. I knew Curve had a big and very deep stage but I wondered where all the sets were coming from. They were wonderful, especially the end of act 1 and the pirate scene in act 2.
Would be nice if this gets a transfer.
There was a standing ovation at the end.
Katherine Jenkins was seen in the stalls.
2014 theatre: Blithe Spirit (Gielgud)  Booked: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Savoy)  Waterbabies (Curve)  View from the Bridge (Young Vic)  Birdland (Royal Court).

#60 Jamiem

Jamiem

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 04:42 AM

View Posttheatreliker, on 13 October 2012 - 10:28 PM, said:

SPOILERS:
First of all, let me say that this is an excellent piece of theatre about writing, theatre, imagination, inspiration and much more.
The two leads had amazing voices and the whole cast were great. I knew Curve had a big and very deep stage but I wondered where all the sets were coming from. They were wonderful, especially the end of act 1 and the pirate scene in act 2.
Would be nice if this gets a transfer.
There was a standing ovation at the end, which was led by a very enthusiastic Katherine Jenkins.

Wonder if Kathryn Jenkins was there for a particular reason?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users