Steffi

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • Interests:Find me on twitter @Steffi_G

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:42 AM

View Postnext2normal, on 21 October 2012 - 07:48 PM, said:

Quietly hoping for a West End Transfer. .... Even just for Norman. Yumm! ;)
If it transfers chances are more than slim Norman will be in it.

#72 JaszyR91

JaszyR91

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Interests:Everything Musical, Theatrical and Literary!

Posted 22 October 2012 - 06:13 PM

I'm not sure what the criteria is for making cast recordings - will they only release one if it transfers?
I'd love to be able to listen to the music again
"And the last remnants time destroys"

My twitter account:
https://twitter.com/imjeanvaljean
Follow me if you want x

Upcoming shows: Pippin (Broadway), If/Then (Broadway), Water Babies (Curve, Leicester), A View From The Bridge (Young Vic), Les Miserables (West End), Birdland (Royal Court)

#73 JaszyR91

JaszyR91

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:36 PM

http://theater.nytim...asker.html?_r=2&
Some exciting news concerning the future of Finding Neverland!! :)

My twitter account:
Follow me if you want x

Upcoming shows: Pippin (Broadway), If/Then (Broadway), Water Babies (Curve, Leicester), A View From The Bridge (Young Vic), Les Miserables (West End), Birdland (Royal Court)

#74 jamescrispy94

jamescrispy94

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 11:25 AM

We should be looking to see this in the West End next spring apparently with new songs by Gary "Ab...solutely....FAN....TASTIC" Barlow.

http://www.whatsonst...d=homepage_news

#75 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3373 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 11:49 AM

I disagree on Gary being fantastic but do think he could liven this show up a bit

#76 JaszyR91

JaszyR91

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 02:56 PM

I can understand them wanting a new book, because there were elements of the old one which needed improving, but, for me, the involvement of Gary Barlow is rather off-putting.
If they plan on integrating his new songs with Frankel and Korie's old ones I can only imagine it producing a strange mish-mash of a score. The old score was quite traditional and very 'musical theatre' and I just can't see Barlow's catchy pop tunes fitting seamlessly into the show. Oh well, we'll see!
I would also argue against the claims that none of the previous songs were hummable - I thought most of them were fantastic and appreciated that they didn't try to knock the audience over the head with catchy hooks, the melodies were more subtle.
However, one aspect of the show that I'd definitely say needs reviewing is the opening number. It was probably the least memorable song and the scene in general didn't really make much of an impact - the final of Act 1 though was terrific!

I love Finding Neverland, so I wait with baited breath to see how it progresses and I'll try to reserve judgment on Barlow for now...

My twitter account:
Follow me if you want x

#77 MS1995

MS1995

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 03:23 PM

I love Diane Paulus' work, so I can't wait to see what she does with it! And after she picks up her tony award on Sunday I imagine she will have a bit more clout in decision making so there could be quite a major overhaul of this I think!
2002: Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
2004: Joseph And The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat
2008: Mamma Mia
2009: Sound Of Music, Les Miserables, The Woman In Black
2010: Wicked
2012: Wicked, Chicago, Legally Blonde, Ghost, Wizard Of Oz, Phantom Of The Opera (UK Tour), Matilda, Sweeney Todd, Taboo (Brixton), Wicked, Wicked
2013: Lift (Soho), The Book Of Mormon, Avenue Q (Off-Broadway), Newsies (Broadway), Wicked (Broadway), Pippin (Broadway), The Lion King.
PLANNED
2013: A Chorus Line, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, We Will Rock You (UK Tour), Wicked (UK Tour), Charlie And The Chocolate Factory, Wicked, Les Miserables, Wicked

#78 Dawnstar

Dawnstar

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 04:28 PM

View PostJaszyR91, on 07 June 2013 - 02:56 PM, said:

I would also argue against the claims that none of the previous songs were hummable - I thought most of them were fantastic and appreciated that they didn't try to knock the audience over the head with catchy hooks, the melodies were more subtle.
However, one aspect of the show that I'd definitely say needs reviewing is the opening number. It was probably the least memorable song and the scene in general didn't really make much of an impact - the final of Act 1 though was terrific!

I found the songs not that memorable on first viewing but after I saw it for a second time I found them to be very memorable, to the extent I still get parts of them going in my head now, over 7 months later. I agree about the opening being a problem. I saw both the versions they tried in Leicester - which were quite different from each other structurally although both used the same two songs - and neither or them really worked brilliantly so hopefully they're try to write more interesting opening songs.

As I don't listen to pop music I don't really know much about Gary Barlow's songs so I just hope he isn't too "pop-y". I don't think I'd like it if they crowbarred in a bunch of pop songs that didn't match the existing score. Some of the songs - James Never Mentioned, The Change Of The Seasons, Second Star To The Right - have beautiful melodies so I hope they stay in and the new songs manage to blend well with them stylistically.

Also I hope with a new director that they re-stage the penultimate scene because Sylvia's ascent up that staircase looked like it was stolen from Cats & made me feel more like laughing than crying!

#79 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3373 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 05:00 PM

for me the biggest problem is the subject matter itself. im a huge fan of the film but its not fun or uplifting, and it was advertised as a musical comedy. i get the impression they want this to be a big family friendly show when the story really isnt suited for that

#80 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1281 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 05:58 PM

I just don't know who this show would appeal to? The story us too boring for kids.. And yet they tried to turn it into a big family musical. They should leave it and move on.. Some drippy Barlow songs really aren't going to help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users