92 replies to this topic

#81 MS1995

MS1995

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 07:29 PM

Yes, but Diane Paulus turned Hair and Pippin, which in my opinion are far from pieces of art, into masterpieces! So I am holding out hope!
2002: Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
2004: Joseph And The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat
2008: Mamma Mia
2009: Sound Of Music, Les Miserables, The Woman In Black
2010: Wicked
2012: Wicked, Chicago, Legally Blonde, Ghost, Wizard Of Oz, Phantom Of The Opera (UK Tour), Matilda, Sweeney Todd, Taboo (Brixton), Wicked, Wicked
2013: Lift (Soho), The Book Of Mormon, Avenue Q (Off-Broadway), Newsies (Broadway), Wicked (Broadway), Pippin (Broadway), The Lion King.
PLANNED
2013: A Chorus Line, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, We Will Rock You (UK Tour), Wicked (UK Tour), Charlie And The Chocolate Factory, Wicked, Les Miserables, Wicked

#82 Dawnstar

Dawnstar

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 08:19 PM

View PostTitan, on 07 June 2013 - 05:00 PM, said:

for me the biggest problem is the subject matter itself. im a huge fan of the film but its not fun or uplifting, and it was advertised as a musical comedy. i get the impression they want this to be a big family friendly show when the story really isnt suited for that

I agree with this issue. It was rather as if there were 2 shows in there going in opposite directions. There was the big family musical spectacle complete with pirates swinging from chandeliers and an adult piece examining the difficulties of relationships, loss, etc. I'd prefer they went for the latter but I suspect they think there's more money to be made from the former.

#83 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 10:02 PM

yep, but the reality of the story means it can never work as both. and to change the end would ruin the piece. i love the film.but i just dont see the need to musicalise it

#84 stevepearman

stevepearman

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 12:01 AM

I seen to remember lots if good comments when it was in Leicester, and was looking forward to it. Not it seems most are making negative remarks. Oh dear

#85 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 05:59 AM

i think it got mixed comments. it wasnt awful bit the score was a little dull and it was confused about what its trying to be

#86 JaszyR91

JaszyR91

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Interests:Everything Musical, Theatrical and Literary!

Posted 08 June 2013 - 08:38 AM

View Poststevepearman, on 08 June 2013 - 12:01 AM, said:

I seen to remember lots if good comments when it was in Leicester, and was looking forward to it. Not it seems most are making negative remarks. Oh dear

I've always been a supporter. I saw it 3 times in Leicester and enjoyed it every time :)
The changes made about halfway through the run at the Curve were very positive imo, and while I love the show I can acknowledge that there were some elements that needed further improvement. I'm just not sure that Gary Barlow should be responsible for these improvements...
The subject matter is always going to be difficult. Because it's based on history there is very little room for plot alterations. The Peter Pan aspect will appeal to kids and families, yet in reality the story is quite adult in it's themes. It'll take a lot of skill to resolve these tensions.
"And the last remnants time destroys"

My twitter account:
https://twitter.com/imjeanvaljean
Follow me if you want x

Upcoming shows: Pippin (Broadway), If/Then (Broadway), Water Babies (Curve, Leicester), A View From The Bridge (Young Vic), Les Miserables (West End), Birdland (Royal Court)

#87 SteveMc

SteveMc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 12:13 PM

Does Harvey Weinstein really knows what he is doing?  It's a delicate piece about love and loss - and as such doesn't really lend itself to being developed into family focussed blockbuster musical, with pull out pop songs.  At least Diane Paulus is of the art first and commerce later school, let's hope that she can make an impact - though you could say the same about Julie Taymor and Spiderman - and that ended in war and law suits.

#88 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1273 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 05:43 PM

I just don't think it will appeal to a broad enough audience to last in London... Unless they go for star casting, but that's unlikely.

#89 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1386 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 11:00 PM

I'm wonder what theatres they're aiming for if Finding Neverland does make to the West End?

#90 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 03:30 PM

I thought the Leicester production needed a huge amount done to it to become a commercial success. I loved the film, but was appalled at the way they had tried to turn it into a pantomime in Leicester. The audience was full of 4-10 year old kids as well, the target audience should be a lot older than that. I really hope that having a new director, book writer and Gary Barlow they are able to go back to the movie and give it the grown up treatment it deserves. If they wanted the family friendly panto, then just do Peter Pan!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users