16 replies to this topic

#1 steveatplays

steveatplays

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 02:20 AM

I have loved Kevin Spacey in most things (in the Darwin thing in particular, and also in Speed the Plow), but in Richard III, I thought he was a bit one note OTT (until the last scene). Mark Rylance is not OTT, he's absolutely brilliant, making the most dastardly plans sound plausible, and sometimes even reasonable. He is never the gurning ogre that Kevin Spacey was, and plays so many scenes with a lightness that is refreshing in the role. The all male cast is slightly less effective than the Old Vic's female cast, I felt, although the actor playing Richard's mother in this is terrific. It rained on us (in the yard), in the last half hour, as the ghosts of Richard's conscience were raining down on him, and the effect was actually quite wonderful, and I didn't mind getting soaked. :)

#2 steveatplays

steveatplays

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 02:27 AM

Oh dear. I can't seem to find a way to edit the typo in the title of the topic. :(

Edit: Thanks for editing the typo. :)

#3 Jamiem

Jamiem

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 10:05 AM

Will this still transfer now to the Apollo?

#4 Cardinal Pirelli

Cardinal Pirelli

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 11:30 AM

View PostJamiem, on 26 July 2012 - 10:05 AM, said:

Will this still transfer now to the Apollo?

Because of Rylance's family tragedy? He was keen to do the Globe run so I'm not sure why he'd pull out of the Apollo one and, given ticket sales, that would disappoint a lot of people.

Looks like good reviews so far for this (apart from Letts who often goes off on his own), four star ones from Guardian, Telegraph and Standard. Anyone seen the Times one? Do the Independent care about theatre reviews any more or do they just not put them online very often?

#5 bickypeg

bickypeg

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:45 PM

First time at the Globe for me-and what a performance to begin with!I really love Mark Rylance and he made Richard seem believable and also very funny which I hadn't expected.A great experience.

#6 theatreliker

theatreliker

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 08:42 PM

I'm tempted by this, would you recommend it for a first time seeing Richard III?
2014 theatre: Blithe Spirit (Gielgud)  Booked: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Savoy)  Waterbabies (Curve)  View from the Bridge (Young Vic)  Birdland (Royal Court).

#7 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2077 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 10:53 AM

I would, it's fast paced and entertaining, the plot is very clear, and Rylance is brilliant.  There are some cuts as mentioned above but you can see those bits next time you see the play!
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#8 bickypeg

bickypeg

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 05:11 PM

Son's and his girlfriend's first time seeing Richard-they loved it too.

#9 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1238 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 06:14 AM

View Postbickypeg, on 27 July 2012 - 12:45 PM, said:

First time at the Globe for me-and what a performance to begin with!I really love Mark Rylance and he made Richard seem believable and also very funny which I hadn't expected.

They always play it for laughs to some extent, I'd like to see a production of it where they don't.

#10 simon from oxford

simon from oxford

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 07:44 AM

The play has inherently funny scenes - so you cannot not play the comedy (unless you cut it out - which disturbs the balance of the piece).

I agree you can overplay it - but I think a R3 without any comedy would be a very dull experience.  Just as a Hamlet would be wrong if you didn't laugh in certain places.

The worst example of getting inappropriate laughs was in an Othello that the RSC toured a few years ago which managed (inadvertently, I hope) to get a laugh at the death of Desdemona - which really did puncture the mood.

Also tagged with The Globe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users