4 replies to this topic

#1 David

David

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 08:30 PM

Has anyone seen this? I know it will be different every night, but I'd be interested to hear some opinions- I've been intrigued by the articles I've read, but have realised that most of them have been written by the star/director/writer!

#2 JWC

JWC

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 07:29 AM

Saw it a couple of weeks ago with John Ramm in the "other" part. Found it intriguing rather than great; the play itself is a peg on which to hang the technique so no great shakes as a story. Very simply staged but as its partly a play about the use of the imagination that's in keeping. Clever layering of ideas - hypnotists manipulate their audience in the same way we and the second performer were manipulated. The apparent chats between the two performers about how things were going were also scripted which was slightly unnerving; just what was real? It was never less than interesting so I'd say that if you're into something different in theatre then go.

#3 Backdrifter

Backdrifter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Interests:Moving, sleeping, eating, not being here

Gender says 'not telling' but, clue: I own some Y chromosomes

Posted 09 March 2007 - 09:12 AM

Yes I'm with JWC on this. Interesting mainly for the approach; the story itself didn't grip me at all. Tim Crouch I found unsettling, bordering on annoying. There was a kind of manic twinkle in his eye the whole time - whether naturally or as part of the act, I've no idea. But seeing the mechanics of a performance was quite intriguing. It was Eve Best when I went. But I don't think it's at the Soho anymore, is it? I saw Someone Else's Shoes there last night, which was entertaining.
Turn up the signal... wipe out the noise

#4 David

David

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 01:00 PM

Thanks- I've booked tickets.

But I don't think it's at the Soho anymore, is it?

It's now on tour, I'm seeing it in Birmingham.

#5 David

David

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 09:46 AM

Saw it last night, and thought it was excellent- a very interesting idea, executed well.
Also, we had Josie Lawrence as the second actor, which was great! She got into the play from the very beginning, and gave a very believable performance. Would be interesting to see someone who isn't used to improvising in the play, just as a point of comparison, but then, as Tim Crouch said in the post-show discussion, the fact that she was an improviser makes her different, yes, but every single actor he's worked with approaches it in a different way.

A very brave thing to do, for both actors I felt!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users