19 replies to this topic

#11 Poly

Poly

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:34 PM

It's quite stodgy at the beginning, but it warms up half way through the first half, and it completely won me over in the second. Very impressed with Aden Gillett, and loved Tom Burke's and Genevieve O’Reilly's performances as well.

#12 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1240 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:23 AM

View PostHonoured Guest, on 25 July 2012 - 04:16 PM, said:

I agree GBS was an old windbag.

Pygmalion is the only one worth a look - the rest are bum-numbers - having said that it is perfectly reasonable for the NT to stage them now and again, just to check if they have suddenly become interesting again by dint of fashions changing (in the same way that Rattigan has).

#13 Reich

Reich

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1028 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 04:16 PM

View PostLynette, on 25 July 2012 - 03:37 PM, said:

I'll say it again: My Fair Lady is better than Pygmalion. Sadly we don't seem to have ability to do similar with the rest.

Nooooo. The score is astounding but …. The book and lyrics talk about love but I really don’t see it; Show me :wub: Would they really get together at the end? I really dislike the subservient notions of passing the slippers. Much prefer the newly empowered Eliza walking off and leaving Higgins begging on his knees.

Emma Thompson has written a screenplay for a new version of MFL combing aspects of the Pygmalion script and it may star Keira Knightley and Colin Furth. But this was years ago. Wonder if it’s still happening ....

I've gone way off topic!

Broadway has been very good to me. But then, I've been very good to broadway.

#14 musicals fan

musicals fan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 08:08 AM

I see Shaw when I can because of his status as a playwright, although I must admit his plays too often resemble a mixture of journalism and political polemic, with little dramatic structure.  I recommend the Apple Cart to newcomers - performed at Bath a few years ago.
I am dutifully booked for this production of Doctor's Dilemma.
On a tangent re. Lynette's point, I have always thought Kiss me Kate to be a big improvement on the Taming of the Shrew!

#15 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5150 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:47 AM

Yeah well, now you mention it, Kiss Me Kate is excellent. There are one or two good bits in Taming and I could be persuaded it went down well at the time. Needs hellava brilliant take now to make it palatable. But I still rate the Elizabeth Taylor / Richard Burton movie. Go on, take a look.

#16 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5150 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:50 AM

View PostReich, on 26 July 2012 - 04:16 PM, said:

Nooooo. The score is astounding but …. The book and lyrics talk about love but I really don’t see it; Show me :wub: Would they really get together at the end? I really dislike the subservient notions of passing the slippers. Much prefer the newly empowered Eliza walking off and leaving Higgins begging on his knees.

Emma Thompson has written a screenplay for a new version of MFL combing aspects of the Pygmalion script and it may star Keira Knightley and Colin Furth. But this was years ago. Wonder if it’s still happening ....

I've gone way off topic!

No,excellent off topic! Come on Reich, you sentimental old thing you. Of course the slippers thing works at the end of MFL. Mind you, I also would love to see a remake. I don't usually think remakes are worth the bother but with a brill,cast, this one would be luverley.......

#17 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5150 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 09:48 AM

So Doctor's Dilemma. They certainly brought out the funny but for me as a play it didn't cut it. A lost opportunity I felt to make the woman a real character who could put the case more strongly. At the risk of trying to rewrite Bernard Shaw, ha ha, I think the last act would have been so much better had she said clearly that of course she knew what he was like and that she was using her charms on the doctors etc. Her case is our case- that saving life shouldn't depend on a subjective and possibly outdated moral code.
A kinda basis for discussion but again Shaw doesn't move us does he?

#18 Bambodoy

Bambodoy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 05:46 PM

I rather enjoyed this. The production is witty and definitely has more flair than the play itself. I also thought that Peter McKintosh's set design was spot on.
2011-2012 THEATRE

WEST END: End of the Rainbow (Trafalgar Studios), Legally Blonde (Savoy Theatre), Love Never Dies (Adelphi Theatre), Children's Hour (Comedy Theatre), Top Girls (Trafalgar Studios), Richard III (Old Vic), The Tempest (Theatre Royal Haymarket), The Faith Machine (Royal Court), We Will Rock You (Dominion Theatre), The Kitchen (National Theatre), War Horse (New London Theatre), Death and the Maiden (Harold Pinter Theatre), Jumpy (Royal Court), 13 (National Theatre), Collaborators (National Theatre), Jerusalem (Apollo Theatre), Driving Miss Daisy (Wyndham's Theatre), Ghost (Piccadilly Theatre), Grief (National Theatre), The Comedy of Errors (National Theatre), Travelling Light (National Theatre), She Stoops to Conquer (National Theatre), In Basildon (Royal Court), Absent Friends (Harold Pinter Theatre), Matilda the Musical (Cambridge Theatre), Gross und Klein (Barbican), One Man Two Guvnors (Theatre Royal Haymarket), Moon on a Rainbow Shawl (National Theatre), Belong (Royal Court), Misterman (National Theatre), Detroit (National Theatre), The Last of the Haussmans (National Theatre), The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time (National Theatre).

OFF-WEST END: Becky Shaw (Almeida Theatre), Tiger Country (Hampstead Theatre), Small Hours (Hampstead Theatre), My City (Almeida Theatre), Anna Christie (Donmar Warehouse), Inadmissible Evidence (Donmar Warehouse), Reasons to be Pretty (Almeida Theatre), The Kitchen Sink (Bush Theatre), Stones in his Pockets (Tricycle), Hamlet (Young Vic), Our New Girl (Bush Theatre), Richard II (Donmar Warehouse), The Recruiting Officer (Donmar Warehouse), Bingo (Young Vic), Black T-Shirt Collection (National Theatre), Love Love Love (Royal Court), Filumena (Almeida Theatre), Making Noise Quietly (Donmar Warehouse), Children's Children (Almeida Theatre), The Physicists (Donmar Warehouse), Birthday (Royal Court).

UPCOMING: London Road (National Theatre), The Doctor's Dilemma (National Theatre), The Count of Monte Cristo (National Theatre).

Follow me on Twitter: @Bambodoy

#19 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 08:35 AM

I thought this was one of the best things I've seen at the NT in some time.  I'm at a loss as to why anyone would think Shaw was a "windbag". His plays are perfectly constructed, intelligently argued, funny as hell and full of superbly delineated characters.  Doctor's Dilemma being a case in point.

Loved this production, loved the cast, especially Malcolm Sinclair's smug Sir Ralph - one of the great comic performances of recent seasons - and loved Tom Burke as the obliviously amoral Dubedat.  The issue of medical triage which lies at the heart of this brilliant play could not be more relevant or more entertainingly presented.
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#20 KevinUK

KevinUK

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 07:21 PM

I really enjoyed this actually. I thought it was overlong a tad, but it has a lot to recommend it. Big fan of Tom Burke, and he didn't disappoint!
If I stay awake, it must be good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users