28 replies to this topic

#21 peggs

peggs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 08:43 PM

Can't get the quote thing to work and haven't patience to try again so Xanderl this is you

Wonder if this will reignite interest in "Frankenstein" which is doing the rounds again in cinemas. Similar staging ideas (eg the bell, the house, etc) and similary Tory-MP-baiting multicultural casting.

I thought that, quite frankensteinish just bigger!

and Latecomer this is you
Nice little story going on in the "internet and modern age" bit. Boy sees girl, boy likes girl, girl disappears having dropped phone. Boy rings girl to give back phone......
Only HOW? She no longer has her phone.....who does he call?
I know the modern age is clever but ????
Or perhaps I missed something?

No I wondered that too! and yes I felt that bell couldn't be rung a lot harder! Loved the beginning pastoral into industrialisation, though realised should have tuned in earlier to see all the animals, i missed the chickens, were they there? And what is it about seeing actors at the theatre which then makes you all proud when you see them somewhere else, lovely biting on that cigar from Mr Branagh, although it is actually sir these days isn't it. One of my favourite games which i admit no one else gets is how many people in this programme/film have i seen at the theatre.............perhaps i should get out more?

#22 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1239 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 07:00 AM

View Postxanderl, on 28 July 2012 - 08:33 PM, said:

I move in better circles than you, Epicoene, but I can confirm that the check-out staff in Waitrose were also singing its praises.

Be assured that I do use Waitrose whenever I want to spend £7 on a lump of cheese.

Branagh chomping on a cigar was presumably the part Mark Rylance withdrew from - not sure he could have brought much more to it. Stephen Daldry was apparently the overall producer for all the ceremonies (including paralympics), who is directing the closing ceremony ?

#23 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2077 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 07:30 AM

The closing ceremony is being directed by Kim Gavin -

http://www.london201...team/kim-gavin/
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#24 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2522 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 10:46 PM

I attended this and have only just got home to read all your comments. It was amazing to be there and the most overwhelming section for me was Pandaemonium when the green and pleasant land was being replaced by the industrial revolution, etc. after we'd been quietly watching it for well over an hour. The music, presumably by Underworld, was very powerful here, live and overpowering. Almost all the details you've all mentioned, like doves on bikes, were completely missed by me because of the scale of the stadium. And because of the contours of the staging and the mass of athletes the lighting of the torch cauldron was completely obscured until it was three quarters up. However, no matter - I'm looking forward to watching a recording tomorrow for the commentary and all the details!

#25 paultheatre

paultheatre

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 11:44 PM

Music from that Pandeamonium section here, Honoured Guest.  It blew me away!

#26 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1239 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 06:27 AM

View PostHonoured Guest, on 29 July 2012 - 10:46 PM, said:

I'm looking forward to watching a recording tomorrow for the commentary and all the details!

Oh, don't look forward to the commentary, it was idiotic, intrusive and totally superfluous.

#27 MrsDoyle

MrsDoyle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 10:06 AM

The complete show is on BBC iPlayer but thankfully without the commentary.

#28 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2522 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 10:47 PM

I'm so glad I was unsuccessful in my ticket application for the Closing Ceremony, from the theatre point of view. Although the Eric Idle section was okay tonight.

#29 Cardinal Pirelli

Cardinal Pirelli

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 11:53 PM

View PostHonoured Guest, on 12 August 2012 - 10:47 PM, said:

I'm so glad I was unsuccessful in my ticket application for the Closing Ceremony, from the theatre point of view. Although the Eric Idle section was okay tonight.

Well it was directed by someone who does concerts, I think it was pretty well known that this was the big music gig as opposed to the opening ceremony which was very theatrical. Still, it was very good for what it was and I loved the Darcy Bussell bit near the end.

Then I check the news and find out that Rory McIlroy won the US PGA with other Briitish golfers packing the top places! Unreal.

I managed to get a number of tickets through persistence including and I can't believe I checked the website at exactly the right time for Super Saturday in the stadium, an incredible evening, an incredible fortnight, at least I've got Edinburgh next week to fill the gap that is now left.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users