70 replies to this topic

#1 Jamiem

Jamiem

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 12:06 PM

Could this be the show that wins next years Tony Award?

#2 Horton

Horton

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 11:28 AM

Probably too early to tell!
It's not so much do what you like, as it is that you like what you do

#3 Jamiem

Jamiem

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 08:11 PM

The New York workshops have created a big buzz with theatre owners queuing up, albeit it's now going in to the producer, daryl roth's sons theatre, but then she did buy them for him.....
It could give Matilda a run for all of our tax payers money....

#4 Annasette

Annasette

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 02:05 AM

I don't really approve of taking musicals off films all the time these days (when not pure jukebox), but I must admit to thinking that it was an obvious choice for a musical when I first saw the film. The film itself wasn't terribly successful though, in spite of a wonderful Chiwetel Ejiofor,  probably because it stayed a little too mundane when it had the elements of something that could have been so much bigger. So although I usually like things to stay as true as possible to their origins, in this case a true story, I do think this might have been an example of a core idea that could have been subverted to interesting effect. I wonder how close the book stays to the film now?

But the theatrical appeal was obvious, especially after "La Cages Aux Folles".

#5 Jamiem

Jamiem

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 08:38 AM

View PostAnnasette, on 03 August 2012 - 02:05 AM, said:

I don't really approve of taking musicals off films all the time these days (when not pure jukebox), but I must admit to thinking that it was an obvious choice for a musical when I first saw the film. The film itself wasn't terribly successful though, in spite of a wonderful Chiwetel Ejiofor,  probably because it stayed a little too mundane when it had the elements of something that could have been so much bigger. So although I usually like things to stay as true as possible to their origins, in this case a true story, I do think this might have been an example of a core idea that could have been subverted to interesting effect. I wonder how close the book stays to the film now?

But the theatrical appeal was obvious, especially after "La Cages Aux Folles".

For many years theatre has supplied films with plays and for the moment it's the other way round but you know I can't wait to see some great new stories on stage, whether in a play or a musical with a beginning, middle and end where I laugh and cry, cliche yes but so true, what happened to stories?

#6 ABowlerHat

ABowlerHat

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 11:44 AM

Some of the greatest musicals of all time were based on movies. I don't care where the story to a musical came from, as long as it's a good musical!

#7 Annasette

Annasette

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 02:36 PM

Don't really disagree with that, even though I would like to see more original concepts coming forward as well.

#8 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1386 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 03:11 PM

The majority of hit musicals are usually adaptations where it be a book, a play or a film. Kinky Boots has the potential to be great just from the story alone but it has a book by Harvey Fierstein who managed to turn Newsies into a hit plus a score by Cyndi Lauper.

#9 wetheatreboy

wetheatreboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:33 AM

Some more news...

The musical Kinky Boots, adapted from the 2005 film, about how a conservative British shoe factory was saved from closing by producing fetish footwear at the suggestion of a drag performer, book by Harvey Fierstein, music and lyrics by Cyndi Lauper, with a cast headed by Stark Sands and Billy Porter, directed and choreographed by Jerry Mitchell, will open on Broadway at the Al Hirschfeld Theatre on 4th April. From TheatreNet

Sounds quite interesting... I wonder if they'll change the location like they did for The Full Monty...

#10 Jamie Kenny

Jamie Kenny

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 12:03 PM

The show is sticking to it's British setting.

Also tagged with Broadway

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users