70 replies to this topic

#11 wetheatreboy

wetheatreboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 05:54 PM

Does anyone know who the producers are for this... Is Sonia Friedman involved? Could there be a West End transfer in the works? All speculation of course but it certainly feels similar to Legally Blonde/Book of Morman...

#12 ABowlerHat

ABowlerHat

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 07:31 PM

View Postwetheatreboy, on 26 August 2012 - 05:54 PM, said:

Does anyone know who the producers are for this... Is Sonia Friedman involved? Could there be a West End transfer in the works? All speculation of course but it certainly feels similar to Legally Blonde/Book of Morman...

It's being produced by Daryl Roth and Hal Luftig.

#13 hotshot

hotshot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 03:01 AM

Thread bump...

Just watched this tonight and heres my humble 2 cents

Overall: Great book but questionable score. Reminded me of Glee often but still riotous fun. Not a thinking type musical but pure guilty fun..think Priscilla mixed with Billy Elliot with Glee and you've got the type of show this is. Star turns from Billy as Lola (who will give Bertie a mahoosive run for his money for the Tony)..honorable mentions for Stark as Charlie (came across quite endearing).

The Good:
- Billy and Stark and the supporting cast were brilliant
- Riotous fun..pure comedy at certain parts, such a fun night! Great book in my opinion!
- You came away smiling and in such a good mood, its hard not to like it.

The Bad:
- Lets get this out of the way..the accents are cr@p, cr@p, cr@p..some of them were so bad that i laughed at how they pronounced certain words. Such a big bug bear for me on this
- Lighting design was very questionable...too many spotlights in action constantly for my liking
- The score by Cindi...it was lacking cohesion, was a bit indulgent and just didn't flow to my liking, however it had some big fun numbers and solos

All in all, if it transfers to the west end, i think it will do fine..it will definitely fill in the gap in the priscilla market.

Will it win Best Musical at the Tonys? Probably not if the Tony voters are looking for smarter musicals (Matilda wins)
Will Billy win Best Actor? It will be very very close. If Bertie wins, it'd probably be because of a matilda sweep. If its split 50/50 between Kinky and Matilda, it can go either way.

#14 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:29 AM

It infuriates me that Bertie Carvel wasn't left as Featured, where he would definitely have won. Billy Porter is widely loved by the New York Theatre community and this is the role he's "been waiting to play my whole life". That, I think, will swing the win for him.

#15 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3357 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:51 AM

I think its the right decision, despite this assumption Bertie is somehow entitled to the Tony, Trunchball is leading male role the same way Edna is in Hairspray. I dont agree with this campaigning element to get a role put in a certain catagory just so the person can easily win.

#16 paplazaroo

paplazaroo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:54 AM

I really didn't enjoy this when I saw it. It's so irritatingly derivative and unoriginal and the accents so awful that I couldn't get into it. It's like make a musical by numbers so the Billy Porter role has the ubiquitous camp gags through to forced pathos and 9 o'clock emotional number in old people's home that is engineered cynically for a Tony. Also hope it doesn't come over here to clog up one of our theatres, while the priscilla audience might like it the critics would maul it.

#17 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:03 PM

I think its the right decision, despite this assumption Bertie is somehow entitled to the Tony, Trunchball is leading male role the same way Edna is in Hairspray. I dont agree with this campaigning element to get a role put in a certain catagory just so the person can easily win.

But they campaigned to put Bertie in as Leading, which means he likely won't win. That's my point. If he'd been left as Featured (which, by Tony rules, he is, as he's not billed above the title), then he would have walked it.

#18 hotshot

hotshot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 02:46 PM

View Postpaplazaroo, on 03 May 2013 - 11:54 AM, said:

I really didn't enjoy this when I saw it. It's so irritatingly derivative and unoriginal and the accents so awful that I couldn't get into it. It's like make a musical by numbers so the Billy Porter role has the ubiquitous camp gags through to forced pathos and 9 o'clock emotional number in old people's home that is engineered cynically for a Tony. Also hope it doesn't come over here to clog up one of our theatres, while the priscilla audience might like it the critics would maul it.

i agree with you on your points..there were two other solos that were the same - engineered for a Tony (ie stark and his factory gf)...Critics in london will only give it 3 stars max i would say (i would've given it 2.5/3). However if you're going for a night just for light hearted fun and you don't care about the story and only want to be in a light mood after, this would do ok..

I decided to stop analysiing it halfway through the first act, gave in and just enjoyed my night out haha

Oh and for anyone planning to go, i was center mezz last row and the view was fine!

#19 Jamiem

Jamiem

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 06:06 PM

View PostABowlerHat, on 26 August 2012 - 07:31 PM, said:

It's being produced by Daryl Roth and Hal Luftig.

They are hoping for the Adelphi but so is Motown (but that could go to the dominion) Sonia will play Lola

#20 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1386 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 06:39 PM

View PostJamiem, on 03 May 2013 - 06:06 PM, said:

They are hoping for the Adelphi but so is Motown (but that could go to the dominion) Sonia will play Lola

The Dominion is far too big, Adelphi would be a better theatre for Motown although depends on when either show is planning to transfer which I guess would late 2014/early 2015

Also tagged with Broadway

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users