Anthony

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, film, travel, reading, walking

Posted 04 May 2013 - 09:25 PM

View PostJon, on 03 May 2013 - 06:39 PM, said:

The Dominion is far too big, Adelphi would be a better theatre for Motown although depends on when either show is planning to transfer which I guess would late 2014/early 2015

Really looking forward to this. I've got the cast recording on pre-order and already have one of the tracks- Sex is in the Heel on my i-Pod. Massive Cydni Lauper fan- have been ever since she wanted to have fun over 30 years ago. That it itself is incentive enough for me to go and see this. Looks like a transfer next year is already on the cards.
Don't we get to be happy? At some point down the line, don't we get to relax without some new tsuris to push me yet further from you!

Who dare tell the lambs in Spring what fate the later season brings?

#22 Jamiem

Jamiem

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 08:08 AM

View PostJon, on 03 May 2013 - 06:39 PM, said:

The Dominion is far too big, Adelphi would be a better theatre for Motown although depends on when either show is planning to transfer which I guess would late 2014/early 2015

Kinky boots to the Adelphi
Motown to the dominion

#23 MusicalTalk

MusicalTalk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 11:25 AM

The score is dreadfully boring and uninteresting.  Sounds as British as TGI Fridays.
MusicalTalk - The UK's Musical Theatre Podcast
http://www.musicaltalk.co.uk

#24 hotshot

hotshot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 10:03 PM

View PostMusicalTalk, on 11 May 2013 - 11:25 AM, said:

The score is dreadfully boring and uninteresting.  Sounds as British as TGI Fridays.

Agreed - i really don't understand why the americans are loving Kinky Boots.I'm hearing a lot raving about it over Matilda? strange..

i mean i enjoyed myself but i'm not raving about it! i really thought the score was such a weak point.

#25 Jamiem

Jamiem

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 10:11 PM

View Posthotshot, on 11 May 2013 - 10:03 PM, said:

Agreed - i really don't understand why the americans are loving Kinky Boots.I'm hearing a lot raving about it over Matilda? strange..

i mean i enjoyed myself but i'm not raving about it! i really thought the score was such a weak point.

Kinky boots really might take the tony

#26 hotshot

hotshot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 03:15 AM

If it does, i think it really demonstrates what americans love ;)

#27 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3375 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 05:41 AM

View Posthotshot, on 11 May 2013 - 10:03 PM, said:

Thats how i felt about matilda. As good as it is it is not the second coming people seem to say it is

#28 sam22

sam22

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:42 AM

I saw Kinky Boots two weeks ago on Broadway - I came away underwhelmed. I sat right on the back row of the circle, though to be fair this was stll a decent seat with no obstructions and evrything was fine with the sound.

The problem for me with this show is that it has absolutely no stand out tunes like all of my other fave musicals. It was enjoyable yes, quite a quirky, cute story and decent enough charcter development in places. But overall it was just lacking a sparkle. The leads were good, as were the chorus, but I just left feeling like it was decent enough entertainment for a night but not one I would go back to and nothing special. Audience I thought disagreed with me as a full standing ovation, but going to four other shows after this one I realised Broadway audiences seem to give every show an ovation!

I have found the album on spotify so might have another listen. British accents weren;t too bad to be fair (in comparision to the terrible terrible accents in Jekyll and Hyde). Disappointed that they had sold out of souvenir programmes!!

#29 MusicalTalk

MusicalTalk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 09:15 AM

The British accents are utterly dreadful on the cast recording.  It sounds as British as TGI Fridays...
MusicalTalk - The UK's Musical Theatre Podcast
http://www.musicaltalk.co.uk

#30 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1283 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:16 PM

I was just about to say that! The accents actually maje it hard to listen to .. They truly are dire.

Not keen on the score either.. Typical modern broadway pop singing styles over forgettable music. If it beats Matilda to best score as widely predicted, I'll give up all hope.

Also tagged with Broadway

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users