34 replies to this topic

#21 Matthew Winn

Matthew Winn

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 06:29 PM

I didn't watch it for fear that something would go embarrassingly wrong, what with ineptitude being the British national sport and all. But then I don't remember ever having watched an opening ceremony anyway.
I have always hated eggs. I remember back when I was a sperm I tried to head-butt one. It did not end well.

#22 isabel

isabel

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1093 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 06:31 PM

Loved it :) Fantastic. The Queen, Bond and Mr Bean were the highlights :) Haha

#23 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 06:31 PM

I'm currently in Los Angeles and watched the coverage here on NBC so I had to contend with inane commentators explaining the UK to Americans plus a s***load of commercial breaks.  Apart from the spectacular effects, the highlight for me was the tribute to the NHS which sent the commentators into a frenzy of elucidation to the effect that while the issue of National Health Care is contentious in the US, the Brits LOVE it!  Hopefully this will have registered with some of the more dim-witted around here.
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#24 VDCNI

VDCNI

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 06:15 AM

I was lucky enough to be in the stadium and well it was an incredible experience from start to finish.

#25 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2098 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 08:22 AM

View Postmallardo, on 28 July 2012 - 06:31 PM, said:

I'm currently in Los Angeles and watched the coverage here on NBC so I had to contend with inane commentators explaining the UK to Americans plus a s***load of commercial breaks.  

You will have missed the "Abide with Me" section (an oblique 7/7 tribute) which NBC decided to cut, then!
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#26 Minsky

Minsky

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 05:24 PM

One inane USA blogger, described the Queen as as really bad look alike!!!

#27 shetlander

shetlander

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 05:52 PM

no it was the right queen! they were no add brakes as it was the bbc and they dont have them - it was amasing you need to get to see it all withough brakes

#28 peggs

peggs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 05:52 PM

View Postmallardo, on 28 July 2012 - 06:31 PM, said:

I'm currently in Los Angeles and watched the coverage here on NBC so I had to contend with inane commentators explaining the UK to Americans plus a s***load of commercial breaks.  Apart from the spectacular effects, the highlight for me was the tribute to the NHS which sent the commentators into a frenzy of elucidation to the effect that while the issue of National Health Care is contentious in the US, the Brits LOVE it!  Hopefully this will have registered with some of the more dim-witted around here.
would love to know how they explained some of it, did it translate to overseas audiences? I'm not fussed if it didn't i'm just curious as to they explained the britishness

#29 Rozzi Rainbow

Rozzi Rainbow

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 06:55 PM

View PostJenny_tyr, on 27 July 2012 - 08:12 PM, said:

loved the children from all parts of Britain singing that wonderfully rousing song Jerusalem

I too really enjoyed that, especially the choir singing from the Giants Causeway. It was only the English choir singing Jerusalem, the choirs in the other countries were singing their own anthems.

I also loved Mr Bean in Chariots of Fire, and the inclusion of Bohemian Rhapsody. I gave up at midnight due to having to get up early yesterday for a theatre trip, so haven't yet seen all of the ending, but what I've seen on the news looks brilliant, especially the lighting of the cauldron.
"Seek salvation in the place of living rock.
A bright bright star will show the way.
Go to where the champions played."

#30 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 08:02 PM

]
"would love to know how they explained some of it, did it translate to overseas audiences? I'm not fussed if it didn't i'm just curious as to they explained the britishness."

Explanation was probably the wrong word for me to use.  It was more or less filling the folks in on British history as the green fields gave way to smokestacks, etc.  It was all a bit simple but very positive.  Americans love England, as any Brit who has travelled here knows, so Mr. Boyle's spectacle went down very well.

Re the NHS segment, it's perhaps fortunate that NBC had the coverage.  They are regarded as the most "liberal" and pro-Obama of US networks and seemed happy to say something in favour of National Health.  If the coverage had gone to the Fox Network the segment would have been buried under a commercial.
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users