17 replies to this topic

#11 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2098 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:36 AM

Trying to work out if you mean Derek Jacobi or David Jacobs!
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#12 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2542 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 11:35 PM

View Postxanderl, on 06 September 2012 - 09:36 AM, said:

Trying to work out if you mean Derek Jacobi or David Jacobs!

Oh, Xanderl, it's taken me 14 hours to realise my slip. Yes, of course, Derek Jacobi, not Mr Smarm.

Recently I went into a NatWest bank to complain that their outside cash machine wasn't working. They humoured me and accompanied me back to it, where it dawned on me that it had a keyboard below the screen. I'd been randomly punching the buttons on the left and right of the screen, to no good effect, and I'd complained in the bank that these buttons weren't numbered and that there were only eight of them but there should have been ten..

#13 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5150 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 07:41 PM

I am not alone.

#14 igb

igb

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 10:19 PM

View PostHonoured Guest, on 06 September 2012 - 08:55 AM, said:

I felt so sad as I departed, knowing I'd never experience it again.

The Unthanks are doing a gig there in late October.  They were stormingly good at Cambridge Folk Festival this year, so I'm multi-dimensionally tempted.

#15 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5150 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 12:43 AM

Late I know for anyone thinking of seeing this in Stratford but as it is transferring to the Noel Coward I thought I would post: yes I liked. It worked for the most part in the Indian context of honour and high emotion. The deception scenes not nearly as funny as could be and not much chemistry between B&B until the end.

There's a young actress who just steals every scene she's in, she plays a maid.

So I've seen the African Julius Caesar and the Indian Much Ado. What's next?

#16 Kristian

Kristian

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:44 PM

Saw this last night at the Noel Coward for a fiver! Absolutely stunning production. Beautiful set, great music, stayed very truthful but with effective adaptation.

Favourite parts of the production are the recreating of the 'songs' switching between hindi(?) and the original verse. AND the gorgeous change to the set during the mock 'funeral'.

Anyone between 16-26 can get 5 quid tickets untill the 13th of october and sit anywhere in the house. AMAZING deal.
Bradfordian Actor and Singer. Birmingham Conservatoire and Central School of Speech and Drama Graduate.
Tweeting @justwannajive

WEST END: Wicked X2 | Legally Blonde X2 | Lion King X1 | Cats X1 | Starlight Express X5 | Joseph and The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat X1 | Les Miserables X5 | Oliver X1 | Woman in Black X1 | Phantom of the Opera X2 | Rock of Ages X1 | Shrek X1 | Sister Act X1 | Sweeney Todd X1 | Cabaret X1 | Street Scene X1 | La Fille a la Mode (Haymarket) X1 |

FRINGE: The Glorious Ones | The House of Bernarda Alba (LaChiusa) | Daybreak | After The Turn | RENT | Pippin | Floyd Collins | The Man On Her Mind | Marguerite | Taboo |

ON TOUR: Jekyll and Hyde X1 | Starlight Express X1 | Cabaret X1| Phantom of the Opera X1 | Les Miserables X1 | Phantom on Ice X1 | Miss Saigon X1 | Whistle Down the Wind X1 | Oliver X1 | Chess X1 | Grease X1 | Summer Holiday X1 | Annie X1 | Cats X1 | Of Thee I Sing X1 |

RSC: Much Ado About Nothing X1 |

#17 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1240 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:54 PM

View PostKristian, on 05 October 2012 - 12:44 PM, said:

Anyone between 16-26 can get 5 quid tickets untill the 13th of october and sit anywhere in the house. AMAZING deal.

Even in the £59.50 premium seats ? How does it work ?

The standard pricing for this show was idiotically expensive and there hasn't been a day when you couldn't get a seat on TKTS with a decent reduction and even better if you are 16-26 it seems (why 26 as the upper limit for that ?). Some day these money-grubbing producers may realise that if they priced tickets at a reasonable level in the first place they would get more advance bookings and more money overall on shows that do not sell out - I refused to book in advance for this one due to the prices and now I can't be bothered to go to TKTS to get a seat (given the mixed reviews).

#18 Kristian

Kristian

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:21 PM

View PostEpicoene, on 05 October 2012 - 12:54 PM, said:

Even in the £59.50 premium seats ? How does it work ?

I sat in Stalls J13 but I could have selected anywhere in the house, there were numerous free seats across all the levels. They never asked me for any confirmation of my age or student ID and I booked online here http://bit.ly/UmNf2y Book through there and it makes any ticket a fiver.
Bradfordian Actor and Singer. Birmingham Conservatoire and Central School of Speech and Drama Graduate.
Tweeting @justwannajive

WEST END: Wicked X2 | Legally Blonde X2 | Lion King X1 | Cats X1 | Starlight Express X5 | Joseph and The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat X1 | Les Miserables X5 | Oliver X1 | Woman in Black X1 | Phantom of the Opera X2 | Rock of Ages X1 | Shrek X1 | Sister Act X1 | Sweeney Todd X1 | Cabaret X1 | Street Scene X1 | La Fille a la Mode (Haymarket) X1 |

FRINGE: The Glorious Ones | The House of Bernarda Alba (LaChiusa) | Daybreak | After The Turn | RENT | Pippin | Floyd Collins | The Man On Her Mind | Marguerite | Taboo |

ON TOUR: Jekyll and Hyde X1 | Starlight Express X1 | Cabaret X1| Phantom of the Opera X1 | Les Miserables X1 | Phantom on Ice X1 | Miss Saigon X1 | Whistle Down the Wind X1 | Oliver X1 | Chess X1 | Grease X1 | Summer Holiday X1 | Annie X1 | Cats X1 | Of Thee I Sing X1 |

RSC: Much Ado About Nothing X1 |

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users