111 replies to this topic

#101 dan

dan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 06:11 PM

The website appears to be back up minus the messageboard. Cheers guys, you're welcome...

#102 Laughingmonsta

Laughingmonsta

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2424 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 07:35 PM

As someone who has several friends who are owed £1000's by Dress Circle I will not be venturing into this.

There are a few dodgy things happening.

Murray Allan - still owns the lease to the shop, but has sublet the shop to the new company Dress Circle Limited

Silver Sounds under directorship of Allan ceased trading in August - although Allan was a registered director of the new company for 2 months from July - so he still has extremely close links with the new company.

The new company have been invoicing previous clients of the liquidated company asking for various bills to be paid to the now ceased trading company despite owing the same people £1000's in unpaid stock bills for some up to a year.

Lots of performers have their stock in the company, which have been bought by members of the public but have not seen this.

I have pulled the financial history of the company that ceased trading last year when the announced the benefit...for the previous two years they had been running an annual loss of between £75-100k per year (don't believe me? Pay £3 and pull off the report yourself)

So the questions as Zippy has stated from the start, why leave it so late before making drastic changes to their business plan? Why go on taking a shop into the red? Why employ 8 full time staff and 4 part-timers throughout this?

Whilst it may have been around for years, that does not mean they are exempt for utter contemptible and although not legally criminal behaviour they have shown themselves to be morally and corrupt in the way they have treated their creditors and also the good faith shown to them from many performers and you the paying public!

So next time you go into the shop ask yourself a few questions...will the £15 you have just paid for the album by X actually make it to the person? Could you look the staff who are all virtually the same (some have jumped ship after wages not been paid for months) knowing that they have already put some performers back to a basic way of living (again don't believe me...you only have to ask a few on twitter.)

So next time you want to vilify someone on here such as Zippy for raising awareness and speaking the truth, I suggest you re:point your anger to the real villains in this DRESS CIRCLE!
This is my street, I smile at the faces I've known all my life, They regard me with pride.

#103 saveourshops

saveourshops

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:05 AM

View PostLaughingmonsta, on 27 September 2012 - 07:35 PM, said:

As someone who has several friends who are owed £1000's by Dress Circle I will not be venturing into this.

There are a few dodgy things happening.

Murray Allan - still owns the lease to the shop, but has sublet the shop to the new company Dress Circle Limited

Silver Sounds under directorship of Allan ceased trading in August - although Allan was a registered director of the new company for 2 months from July - so he still has extremely close links with the new company.

The new company have been invoicing previous clients of the liquidated company asking for various bills to be paid to the now ceased trading company despite owing the same people £1000's in unpaid stock bills for some up to a year.

Lots of performers have their stock in the company, which have been bought by members of the public but have not seen this.

I have pulled the financial history of the company that ceased trading last year when the announced the benefit...for the previous two years they had been running an annual loss of between £75-100k per year (don't believe me? Pay £3 and pull off the report yourself)

So the questions as Zippy has stated from the start, why leave it so late before making drastic changes to their business plan? Why go on taking a shop into the red? Why employ 8 full time staff and 4 part-timers throughout this?

Whilst it may have been around for years, that does not mean they are exempt for utter contemptible and although not legally criminal behaviour they have shown themselves to be morally and corrupt in the way they have treated their creditors and also the good faith shown to them from many performers and you the paying public!

So next time you go into the shop ask yourself a few questions...will the £15 you have just paid for the album by X actually make it to the person? Could you look the staff who are all virtually the same (some have jumped ship after wages not been paid for months) knowing that they have already put some performers back to a basic way of living (again don't believe me...you only have to ask a few on twitter.)

So next time you want to vilify someone on here such as Zippy for raising awareness and speaking the truth, I suggest you re:point your anger to the real villains in this DRESS CIRCLE!

I was an employee and I take issue with your made up stories.

"The new company have been invoicing previous clients of the liquidated company asking for various bills to be paid to the now ceased trading company despite owing the same people £1000's in unpaid stock bills for some up to a year".

Everyone that was owed money has either been compensated, declined compensation or had their stock returned. I should add in many cases at the expense of the new company.

There was 4 full time and 3 part-time staff (not 8 and 4!).  The reason the previous owners kept the company alive was down to public and performers demand after last year’s ‘closure’ announcement. The owner, god bless him, invested his own money and lost it all, just to keep the doors open and the staff in work. We lost our jobs, but he has by far lost the most money out of this. So now he is a villain and incompetent for listening to public demand, I don’t think so. The losers are the customers who did shop at dress circle, who appreciated what we were doing. And don’t forget the performers and independent record companies, whose careers and companies benefitted from the last 30 years by having Dress Circle trading.

No one has 'Jumped ship' some staff were offered positions within the new company some were not, simples!

So next time Laughingmonsta don't believe everything you read in the news papers, open your eyes and smell the roses pal!

#104 Laughingmonsta

Laughingmonsta

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2424 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:53 AM

WRONG!!! - Saveourshops, as I said, I have actual evidence to the contrary.

Did you actually see the financial reports from Companies house...which of course are accessible to anyone as a traded company, albeit for a fee of £3 - It's amazing what you can learn by what a company has to admit every year. - maybe you should invest £3 of your hard earned money from the company that cared, to see that all was not glitter and mirror balls.

I make such a strong case, as I have been made homeless by such morally questionable behaviour (not dress circle) through the same protective loopholes that has allowed this to happen.

"Everyone has not been compensated"...in fact not everyone who are/were creditors knew that the company had gone into liquidation (against the law), until The Stage and a few of us publicly made it aware.

The owner god bless him is a fool for investing his own money in business - its actually the first rule of business - NEVER invest your own money, and that point there, is the first to prove quite frankly about the bad business decisions being made...you can't run a business on your heart...it has to be with you head. As for the companies and performers who benefited from Dress Circle over 30 years no doubt that may be the case but what about the companies and the performers who are still owed money...I know for a FACT that there are still creditors waiting!

On one hand you say you were an employee but  by the end of your post you seem to know an awful lot about the business and how the "new" company is trading, something a past employee, past being the word shouldn't be privvy too...just an employee? Yeah Right!!!
This is my street, I smile at the faces I've known all my life, They regard me with pride.

#105 dan

dan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:10 AM

"So next time you want to vilify someone on here such as Zippy for raising awareness and speaking the truth, I suggest you re:point your anger to the real villains in this DRESS CIRCLE!"

Firstly, it was the manner in which Zippy was going about it, not what he was saying. I'm sure none of us will ever know the real ins and outs of the situation as much as 'insiders' would love to think they have inside track, likewise the info you have pulled from companies house. If you think that it tells the whole story you've obviously never enjoyed the genius of Anne Robinson & 'Watchdog' :)

I'm all for a cause but it was akin to a witchhunt regardless of facts. Witchhunts only ever had one outcome...well two...the stool or the noose...neither ended well.

#106 jp89

jp89

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:40 AM

I don't get why anyone would buy from DC anyway! Fair enough if you want a really rare recording of Blood Brothers recorded in Korea or Japan or something which you would not find online (although nowadays this is pretty easy). I recently compared prices for some recordings I wanted to buy and couldn't believe the price difference. Times are hard and everyone is keeping an eye on the pennies. Listed below are the CD's I bought from Amazon after I checked out DC's website:

Jesus Christ Superstar DC - £16.99 / Amazon - £7.50

Evita (Broadway) DC - £16.99 / Amazon - £12.09

Chicago (London) DC - £12.99 / Amazon - £8.35

Jerry Springer DC - £17.99 / Amazon - £14.09

Singin' In The Rain DC - £13.99 / Amazon - £9.58

Les Miz Complete Symphonic DC - £29.99 / Amazon - £19.99

DC - £108.94 / Amazon - £71.60

Saving over £37!

#107 dan

dan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 11:18 AM

Mostly because it was a community for people to meet & chat as much as it was a shop. People paid the prices out of loyalty and quite often your loyalty would be rewarded as a signed item would unexpectedly pop through your door instead of the bog standard edition. Or an event would be organised to publicise a release, not just some soulless button pushing on Amazon. Some people value community and face to face over cash. I will defend this aspect of DC til the cows come home because it was this that drew mw to the shop in the first place. I can perfectly understand the other side; getting the best deal. Different strokes etc.

#108 jp89

jp89

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:15 PM

i bought so much from DC over the years and never got a signed copy of anything! I'll stick to Amazon. I once witnessed some poor guy being shouted at once because he wanted to return a CD that wasn't working. Just poor service all round.

#109 Reich

Reich

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1027 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:00 PM

View Postjp89, on 04 October 2012 - 02:15 PM, said:

. I once witnessed some poor guy being shouted at once because he wanted to return a CD that wasn't working. Just poor service all round.

That happened to me once …

Plus I often noticed the odd tut or raised eyebrow due to a customers choice of purchase or footwear

Broadway has been very good to me. But then, I've been very good to broadway.

#110 Anthony

Anthony

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, film, travel, reading, walking

Posted 06 October 2012 - 08:21 AM

I just genuinley find the whole thing disappointing and sad- on every level
Don't we get to be happy? At some point down the line, don't we get to relax without some new tsuris to push me yet further from you!

Who dare tell the lambs in Spring what fate the later season brings?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users