29 replies to this topic

#1 AnnieInTheStalls

AnnieInTheStalls

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 09:44 AM

I was in London on Sunday and Monday, and I can't remember the city ever being so quiet; also very friendly and non-aggressive. I'd very much recommend coming in for some theatre-going. It might get a bit worse from Friday onwards when the athletics start.

Some random notes....

Walked past the Duke of York at 9 on Monday - queue for Posh returns had about 5 people in it. Aso saw Ralph Fiennes on Old Compton St with a backpack and looking somewhat scruffy.

Tate Modern was really empty. I'd thoroughly recommend the new "Tanks" area - very atmospheric (and free).

Travel to Olympic venues fine, and queues to get in quite acceptable. Long queues for overpriced food. Bring sarnies and empty bottle to fill up from water fountains inside park. Really enjoyed weightlifting, quite enjoyed handball, and was bored by water-polo. All the glamorous sports for me!

#2 Latecomer

Latecomer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1668 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 10:10 AM

We drove in from Oxford on Saturday night....where were all the cars? Small hold up going past Kings Cross as the traffic has not worked out that they now have permission to use the bus lanes! Pleasantly surprised by lack of hassle!

#3 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2540 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 10:18 AM

And total actual West End attendances (or box office income - I'm not sure which) is down 30% across the board, except for niche sectors like the NT. This shows the idiocy of Tim Rice's bland assurances that it was obvious that West End theatres would be packed to the rafters with Olympic Games tourists attending shows in between their sports sessions. Did he actually believe the tosh he spouted or did he just say it because he was determined to contradict Andrew Lloyd Webber, who'd made comments based on factual advance booking figues?

#4 alywin

alywin

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 10:37 AM

I was prompted to come over here after reading the WOS email yesterday which seemed to imply that theatres were having problems and putting part of the blame on TFL (I think) "scaremongering".  As I'm actually based in the suburbs, and no longer work in central London, I really have no idea what the traffice/public transport problems are like, and was hoping someone could give us an idea?

I would be fine getting to Charing Cross, I'm sure, provided I get the Southeastern trains going there, but am worried about the situation at London Bridge with the Southeastern platforms being either "alight only" or "pick up only" - can't remember which.  Since most of my routes into and out of London involve using Southern trains, which only go as far as London Bridge and therefore necessitate changing to get into the West End, whichever ban it is is likely to cause me great difficulty, I think.  (I'm particularly considering going to Islington at the moment, so Northern Line as well).

#5 SuzieQ

SuzieQ

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 12:24 PM

I think you hit the nail on the head there alywin....as long as the trains & tubes are running ok there's no problem. I went to see Long Days Journey on Monday....getting across town via the tube was fine as was getting home using Southestern trains from Charing Cross. Simply getting home from work yesterday, because of the signal failure at Cannon Street, was another matter!!

With regards to London Bridge...I think if you're interchanging there, simply going from one platform to another, you'll be fine. It's the way they're herding people in & out of the station itself that can cause delays to your journey.

#6 amos

amos

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 12:39 PM

Remember this?

http://www.whatsonst...m Olympics.html

#7 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2540 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:00 PM

Perhaps if every WhatsOnStage user behaved as indicated in this survey, the West End theatre audience collapse would be only 29.5% instead of its current 30%. For the record, I saw four theatre shows last weekend because I came to London for one Olympic Games session, and without the Olympics I wouldn't have come to London or have seen any of them. So this survey may have accurately reflected WoS users but is meaningless about the whole audience when the usual tourists haven't come.

#8 The Glenbuck Laird

The Glenbuck Laird

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 07:22 PM

In London this Saturday, looking forward to a quiet London then.

I said the same in Stratford last weekend, absolutely nobody around. A very quiet sunny Saturday afternoon in Stratford.

#9 poster J

poster J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1022 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 10:38 PM

Just back from a few days in London for a couple of Olympics sessions.  It was so much more quiet than I've ever experienced before, except for the usual tourist traps like Trafalgar Square and Covent Garden.  Leicester Square was like a ghost town on Monday night, and none of the Tube stations or trains were as busy as I've encountered in the past.

Went to see Singin in the Rain and it was fairly full though, box office was busy enough at 5pm when I bought my ticket.  But i did get a discounted one, so not sure how many others had done the same.  I was surrounded by people who were talking about having been at or going to the Olympics though.

ETA:  Stratford was ridiculously easy to travel through, was on a train within 10 minutes of walking out of the Olympic Park, and I wasn't even walking quickly.

#10 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2540 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 11:17 PM

View PostThe Glenbuck Laird, on 01 August 2012 - 07:22 PM, said:

In London this Saturday, looking forward to a quiet London then.

I said the same in Stratford last weekend, absolutely nobody around. A very quiet sunny Saturday afternoon in Stratford.

Just the 80-odd thousand in the Olympic Park...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users