29 replies to this topic

#11 ABowlerHat

ABowlerHat

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 11:55 PM

Although initially worried when I realised I'd booked theatre tickets during the Olympics, I'm now looking forward to going in on Saturday!

#12 alywin

alywin

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 12:12 AM

View Postalywin, on 01 August 2012 - 10:37 AM, said:

I would be fine getting to Charing Cross, I'm sure, provided I get the Southeastern trains going there, but am worried about the situation at London Bridge with the Southeastern platforms being either "alight only" or "pick up only" - can't remember which.  Since most of my routes into and out of London involve using Southern trains, which only go as far as London Bridge and therefore necessitate changing to get into the West End, whichever ban it is is likely to cause me great difficulty, I think.  (I'm particularly considering going to Islington at the moment, so Northern Line as well).

Okay, my computer took so long to do its backup that I missed the Charing Cross train, and with some trepidation got on the Cannon Street one.  Had absolutely no problem changing to a CX train at London Bridge, then had business to transact at Charing Cross.  Got on the 38 bus at Denmark Street, and we whizzed off and into New Oxford Street, where we were stuck virtually without moving for about 10 minutes, I should think.  I got off and started walking, but by the time I got to the junction with Southampton Row traffic seemed to be moving fine in all directions.  Walked and bus-hopped up to Sadler's Wells, arriving too late to risk eating in a restaurant beforehand, but otherwise no problems.

Got Northern Line down to London Bridge, and encountered the highly annoying 5-minute detour to the railway trains: wouldn't want to get there too close to departure time, as you could end up missing your train if there was a crush.  Fortunately, I did have a few minutes to spare, so caught my train.  So, not entirely a doddle, but no worse than many other journeys I've made over the years.

#13 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1237 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 06:24 AM

The quoted numbers are that normally this week there would be 300,000 foreign tourists in London but the number this year is 100,000. Hotel capacity is running at about 50%. This is no surprise at all, it has been repeated many times before when cities have hosted major events like this. What history also shows that as soon as the Olympics ends London will be much more busy than normal. I am hoping the tumbleweed blowing through Leicester Square at least lasts long enough for me to get cheap tickets for the RSC "Julius Caesar".

#14 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2077 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:06 PM

At the risk of causing some sort of infinite recursion like on Dr Who, here's a Guardian article on the performance of various arts venues during the Olympics which links back to this thread

http://www.guardian....rtunes-olympics
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#15 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1237 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 07:35 AM

Oh, seems we're all mistaken ...

"Culture Secretary Jeremy Hunt has dismissed concerns that West End trade is dying a death during the East End-focussed Olympic Games as "absolute nonsense" in an interview today with the Evening Standard."

http://www.whatsonst...complaints.html

#16 ABowlerHat

ABowlerHat

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 11:53 AM

How can he say that when producers and theatre owners are coming up with facts about the downturn in business?

#17 Whatsonstage.com

Whatsonstage.com

Global Moderator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 7744 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 01:37 PM

In case you haven't seen, this thread has been referenced in a news piece today in the Guardian -
http://www.guardian....ics?INTCMP=SRCH

#18 mystifyre

mystifyre

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 05:55 PM

I hear hotels are having to slash their prices just to fill their rooms, which is not surprising as the majority were quoting ridiculously expensive rates like £600 per night! It seems London was braced for their to be a soar in tourism and were expecting floods of people to be entering their stores, restaurants and theatres and in the end, nothing has really happened. The Daily Mail had photos of Westfields in Shepherd's Bush and it was just about deserted! London looks like a ghost town.

#19 ABowlerHat

ABowlerHat

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 12:03 PM

The West End was very very busy yesterday. I hope that reflected on last nights theatre.

#20 PaulT

PaulT

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 06:05 PM

We drove into town at 5.55pm on Friday night: managed to get from Chertsey (Surrey), park in Savile Row and walk to a Shaftesbury Ave restaurant in just over an hour. Unheard of for a Friday night.  Soho Cinders didn't start until 9pm so we had lots of time.  Went up and came home in the Olympic Lane.
Saturday was the same and we got parked with no problem for the Open Air Theatre: long may the Olympics continue!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users