54 replies to this topic

#1 Latecomer

Latecomer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1668 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 01:17 PM

Does someone have too much time on their hands? I quite liked The National Website; clear, quite nicely laid out, not too hectic.
But no....we have to have an overhaul....and I don't like it!
:ph34r:

#2 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 785 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 06:00 PM

Oh dear, I see what you mean.  It wasn't broken...  etc.  I didn't particularly like the previous version but I had become used to it.  Why do some websites never offer you the opportunity to have your login details stored?  The NT is an offender and it would save so much time!

#3 Latecomer

Latecomer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1668 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 06:25 PM

View Postfringefan, on 02 August 2012 - 06:00 PM, said:

Oh dear, I see what you mean.  It wasn't broken...  etc.  I didn't particularly like the previous version but I had become used to it.  Why do some websites never offer you the opportunity to have your login details stored?  The NT is an offender and it would save so much time!
So true...very irritating!

#4 Abby

Abby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:04 PM

Ha ha - I was waiting for the comments on this! I agree that the old version didn't need fixing but the new site seems fine to me - easy to navigate, which is the main thing. I suppose some people might have found the long list of shows at the top of the old version a bit overwhelming, though I liked it as an illustration of how much is going on there.

If it's part of an upgrade that makes the site more robust on the first day of booking I'll be happy!

#5 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2091 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:40 PM

Just had a look, actually don't think its too bad. Fewer clicks to go in and buy tickets, which is a good thing (used to hate that you got up the list of dates, then had to click something else to get links to buy stuff).

As Abby says, the start of next booking period will be the real test!
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#6 peggs

peggs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 11:04 PM

would be quite nice if it would show me the production photos instead of just giving me, a load in minature and then a lot of photos of a wall. Having sat rather far away from the stage tonight would be nice to see what everyone actually looked like.

#7 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 785 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 12:53 PM

It would also be considerate and courteous if the NT had e-mailed members in advance, advising them of the forthcoming change.  Better still if they had canvassed opinions about whether any change was needed and if so, which features should be included!

#8 musicalfan

musicalfan

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 01:11 PM

View Postfringefan, on 04 August 2012 - 12:53 PM, said:

It would also be considerate and courteous if the NT had e-mailed members in advance, advising them of the forthcoming change.  Better still if they had canvassed opinions about whether any change was needed and if so, which features should be included!

Actually, they did carry out a survey of people's opinion on the new site a few months ago: they asked for volunteers on twitter to try out the site, and you could choose various tasks (such as booking a pair of tickets to a show, after finding out more about the cast, etc.) and asked people to rate it for specific pages. I took part in the trial, and was positive in my response, as I thought it was a lot clearer and more appealing to the eye, and their was a lot of improvements, such as being able to see headshots and character names next to the actor's without having to go onto the individual page, etc. Although I can understand some people's criticisms, overall I much prefer the new website (once logged in, Entry Pass members also have more features, and its a lot easier to see what you've booked for.)

#9 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3759 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 03:00 PM

I tested it too. The best thing to come of it is the pick your own seat facility in the Cottesloe. I don't see why they couldn't have kept the old site, and just introduced that new feature. Hopefully though this'll mean the website survives the booking opening day a bit better.

Also, I note that The Effect is already listed on the website- no performance schedule, but public booking opens in September. No mention of members booking. I suspect it'll go on sale along with the rest of the new season, including People.

#10 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 785 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 04:07 PM

It's hardly fair to trail a new version of anything via Twitter only and I'm prepared to bet that a significant proportion of the NT membership doesn't use this or possibly any other form of social networking.  If improvements have come of the trial, great, but why disenfranchise, and risk alienating, a large number of people who support the NT financially as well as in spirit?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users