• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kcsevenoaks

kcsevenoaks

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 09:03 PM

Evening! Has anyone ever taken the "through the stage door" tour at the TR, am thinking of going on it but wanted to see what others who have been on it have thought of it. I did the Palladium tour last year which was interesting.

Anyone been on any other london theatre tours worth mentioning?? Thanks

#2 Steffi

Steffi

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 578 posts
  • Interests:Find me on twitter @Steffi_G

Posted 03 August 2012 - 11:54 AM

I've done the tour a few times while Lord of the Rings and then Oliver were running. Found it really interesting but it's definitely more fun when you manage to go in a small group. With a large group they tend to concentrate on the FOH parts of the theatre and tell you a lot about the history of Theatre Royal Drury Lane (which is interesting and well told) and only show a small glimpse backstage. I once did the tour when there were only 4 of us in the group. We ended up walking around backstage a lot and got to see parts of the Lord of the rings set, costumes, wigs and even watch a bit of the rehearsals that were going on at the time.

One tour I would definitely recommend is the one at the National Theatre. They show you around in all three theatres and backstage. I once got to walk around in a set (a fully furnished house) that was stored backstage (in their workshop) ready to be used in an upcoming production.

#3 kcsevenoaks

kcsevenoaks

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 02:20 PM

thanks for the info both sound really good. Will definatley look into booking one or both soon.. Thanks Again!

#4 jamescrispy94

jamescrispy94

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 02:22 PM

I went on it in April 2009 while Oliver was on and found it fasinating, you learn lots of interesting history behind it but the only problem was when I went, Rowan Atkinson was off for a month with a hernia and Russ Abbott was rehearsing to cover him so we couldn't go on the stage or the wings (however we did get to watch him for a minute at the back of the circle).

#5 wetheatreboy

wetheatreboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 01:08 PM

I did a tour at Drury Lane YEARS ago, when Miss Saigon was still there! They weren't giving any details away about the helicopter though, other than tennis balls on ropes...

I also did a tour of the Palladium when Saturday Night Fever was on...

I don't know if it's the same person doing the tours as back then, I expect not... But they were both very interesting... I got to see the original Palladium revolve in situ! Shame it's not there any more!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users