8 replies to this topic

#1 David J

David J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 09:47 AM

Since I started on this forum, I have been posted reviews that take up half a web page. I hate to leave people confused over a point I make without elaborating. I do not like posting these essay reviews on this forum which is why I started my own review blog early this year. However I understand that posting links to my blog without contributing anything else is not best thing to do on this forum. I have lately tried posting a shortened, yet still lengthy, reviews whilst providing the link to the full review.

I like to point out that I have no intention of posting links to my blog for any other reason other than to show my review.

Does everybody prefer a full review on the forum or a link to my blog with a short summary, knowing that my points will be elaborated on the blog.
My reviews can also be found at "A Night at the Theatre"

http://www.anightatthetheatre.co.uk/

#2 Latecomer

Latecomer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1668 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 06:42 AM

View PostDavid J, on 03 August 2012 - 09:47 AM, said:

a link to my blog with a short summary, knowing that my points will be elaborated on the blog.

No problem with this atall if it saves you time! Either option fine by me! Thanks for posting reviews. Always find it fun to read what others think, especially when they don't give stuff away like some of the newspapers!

#3 Annasette

Annasette

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 01:19 PM

Reviews of any kind are a treat! Thank you for writing them. And I would be quite happy to see full reviews posted actually, because there is a disinclination to actively have to find the extension elsewhere even through a provided link, however silly that is. You can scan through most conveniently that way, to get the gist and to see if you want to read it all (or parts) word for word, and the detail is all there for caught interest to be expanded into, as appropriate.

But more important is what you are comfortable with, and how relatively more significant you want your blog to be. Not wanting to leave long reviews here is very understandable. Anything more than a bite sized comment actually even seems to be resented by some people, but it's hardly a hardship to have to scroll down past something if you are not interested at all. Your blog just might not necessarily develop in the same way though.

And I can't see that posting links to your blog would be any sort of problem, although I suppose that is for the mods to confirm..

#4 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 04:19 PM

As someone who has also, from time to time, posted some lengthy-ish reviews here, I share your concerns.  It sometimes feels like an act of ego to be writing so much and I definitely have edited my most recent reviews before posting them.

On the other hand, one wants to make ones points, as you say.  Bottom line, this is a forum for discussion so why not provide as much relevant material for discussion as you can.  In your case, you are obviously a passionate and informed observer and I have enjoyed what you've written here - whether I agree or not.  The referrals to your blog are certainly not an issue.
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#5 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2098 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 04:34 PM

I think your suggestion of linking to the blog with a summary here is fine,but you should feel free topmost the whole thing if you want

I only object to people posting blog links if that's all they post and they don't take part in other discussion - clearly this doesn't apply in your case

One thing I would appreciate is a precise calibration of your entertainingly esoteric rating system  :)
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#6 David J

David J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:51 PM

Thanks everybody for the comments so far

I'm trying out a shorter review post right now and have posted my The Tempest review

http://www.whatsonst...32-rsc-tempest/

The summary may need working on but I like it so far

#7 simon from oxford

simon from oxford

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 01:11 PM

David - why not approach the relevant regional editors?  It is always good to expand the pool of volunteer reviewers

#8 David J

David J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 04:34 PM

View Postsimon from oxford, on 07 August 2012 - 01:11 PM, said:

David - why not approach the relevant regional editors?  It is always good to expand the pool of volunteer reviewers

How does that work?

#9 Jenny_tyr

Jenny_tyr

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1067 posts
  • Interests:Shakespeare

Posted 07 August 2012 - 06:11 PM

Just PM Simon, he's done this before and can tell you anything you need to know and can probably also give you some relevant phone numbers. Looking forward to seeing more from you in the future!
http://groups.yahoo....re_and_Company/
http://blogs.whatson.../rsc-histories/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users