• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#11 sandeman

sandeman

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • Interests:Worked in professional theatre for over 20 years.

Posted 08 September 2012 - 09:44 AM

I saw her at the RAH with the late Marvin Hamlisch and am seeing her again this time in London. She is really fantastic.

#12 theatre_goer

theatre_goer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 04:27 PM

View PostMark_E, on 07 September 2012 - 08:42 PM, said:

How good a price? Feel free to direct mail me

Hi Mark - I can't seem to contact you privately, but if you send me a PM I will send you on the details if you're interested?

#13 stevepearman

stevepearman

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 06:01 PM

Had an amazing night last night.
The 25 piece orchestra sounded rich and beautiful. The lady herself sang a variety of songs for an hour and three quarters, with no break. Her natural warmth and charm drew us into the evening.
And Idina is really quite funny!
At the pressure if my daughter. I went to stage door and waited nearly an hour to meet with her. Along with about 60 others. Again, she was just lovely.

#14 cat123

cat123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3355 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:43 AM

Imseeing Idina tonight at After Show. I don't get what the fuss is about to be honest, but then I've never seen her live. We'll see, I'm quite looking forward to it!

#15 Musicals1248

Musicals1248

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:19 PM

I too don't get the fuss with her voice. Again, I've not seen her live so can't give a completely fair judgement, but it's never appealed to me on recordings or on tv. i do hope to catch her live one day though to see if my opinion changes :)

#16 ajb26

ajb26

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:45 PM

View Poststevepearman, on 10 October 2012 - 06:01 PM, said:

Had an amazing night last night.
The 25 piece orchestra sounded rich and beautiful. The lady herself sang a variety of songs for an hour and three quarters, with no break. Her natural warmth and charm drew us into the evening.
And Idina is really quite funny!
At the pressure if my daughter. I went to stage door and waited nearly an hour to meet with her. Along with about 60 others. Again, she was just lovely.

How much MT material does she actually sing in the concert? I would be really interested in seeing this, but not if it's just a load of pop numbers and songs from her album.

#17 Mark_E

Mark_E

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2345 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:21 PM

Quite a lot is MT

#18 mystifyre

mystifyre

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:41 PM

I read recently that Idina is lending her voice to the Snow Queen in an animated film called "Frozen". The article can be found here.

#19 stevepearman

stevepearman

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:05 PM

View Postajb26, on 11 October 2012 - 07:45 PM, said:

How much MT material does she actually sing in the concert? I would be really interested in seeing this, but not if it's just a load of pop numbers and songs from her album.
About 60% mt

#20 poster J

poster J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1014 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 10:28 PM

It is quite a lot MT, but the songs she does from shows are perfect, I particularly loved the couple she did from A Chorus Line - what a gorgeous tribute to Marvin Hamlisch.  And obviously the Rent and Wicked numbers went down well with the crowd.  I thought she was never better than her a cappella For Good, it was beautiful.

I thought the start was a bit messy, and the end (of the encore) could have been a bit more of a lively song than Somewhere (although her version of that song is great), but other than that it was a flawless show.  I wasn't the biggest fan going in -  I liked her, especially in Rent, but she isn't my favourite Elphaba and I'm always reminded of her Tony awards performance with Wicked where she sounded awful (although she was ill, so maybe I'm being harsh), but I've got a whole new level of admiration for her voice now I've heard her live.  She was simply a class act, and charming and funny to go with it (also very jealous of those who got to sing Take Me or Leave Me with her!).  She got 3 standing ovations (For Good, Defying Gravity and Somewhere) and all of them were fully deserved in my opinion.  The Wicked OBC soundtrack really doesn't do her voice justice.

And I have a great deal of respect for her conduct after the show as well.  She signed for hundreds of people when she was under no obligation to do so at all.  The queue was the whole way round the building and she walked down the line and made sure she signed something for everyone and said something to everyone, which was so kind of her :) She really does deserve a lot of credit, best concert I've been to in a long time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users