• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#11 Wandering_Ranger

Wandering_Ranger

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 03:13 PM

yes but WWRY has no reason to leave the Dominion. A lot of shows have tried to get in there and failed. Why would Spiderman succeed?

#12 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3384 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 03:20 PM

Dont forget its running costs are over $1,000,000 a week, so whilst its doing ok, when you take into account its enormous set up costs, the high weekly running costs, it doesnt have much room if it starts to drop.

#13 Wandering_Ranger

Wandering_Ranger

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 03:24 PM

Indeed and, as other shows have proved, spectacle only puts bums on seats for so long. The book and story are not of the best. If it is still as successful this time next year it will be a miracle. Likelihood is interest in it will fizzle out

#14 jactom

jactom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 04:27 PM

This will never happen! Too expensive. Too many injuries. No producer will take a chance on it.

#15 seanmcdona

seanmcdona

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 10:16 PM

Do people think Shrek will last much longer in the WestEnd? I havent seen it yet so iv no idea what ticket sales are like or if they're filling up the theatre but i personally dont think the show is strong enough to last long in London (apart from Who i'd be, I know its Today and Morning Person the musics pretty weak)

#16 MusicalTalk

MusicalTalk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 09:01 AM

Remember - we have much larger theatres than Broadway - we just take more structural care of our theatres.  

Broadway would kill for theatres that have the size of the Palladium, Apollo Victoria, Drury Lane, Dominion and Lyceum!  (They have Radio City Music Hall - but that's not really a commercial house).

The largest capacity on Broadway is the Gershwin - which seats 1,933.  All our large houses are over 2,000 seats.

Anyway.... I'd be interested to see Spiderman - but surely the repeat factor is minimal? It has to be one of the most turgid scores I've ever heard (thanks Bono) and if the story and book is as bad as everyone says... I don't see it surviving

BUT - it's doing hugely well in New York - purely for the spectacle, I'd imagine.  

Let's wait and see :)
MusicalTalk - The UK's Musical Theatre Podcast
http://www.musicaltalk.co.uk

#17 Wandering_Ranger

Wandering_Ranger

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 09:29 AM

Shrek lasting is, I grant you, unlikely. However, that is immaterial, there are countless shows wanting to get into Dury Lane and Spiderman would be at the back of a long, long queue.

#18 DanielWhit

DanielWhit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2293 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 01:55 PM

View PostMusicalTalk, on 04 August 2012 - 09:01 AM, said:

Anyway.... I'd be interested to see Spiderman - but surely the repeat factor is minimal? It has to be one of the most turgid scores I've ever heard (thanks Bono) and if the story and book is as bad as everyone says... I don't see it surviving

BUT - it's doing hugely well in New York - purely for the spectacle, I'd imagine.  

I remember reading there is an idea to occasionally update a song / edit the script in order to tempt repeat visitors back in.

You hit the nail on the head there though, people do go "purely for the spectacle" - which is why I doubt if it appears over here it will be in a form significantly different to the Broadway production. Why lose your big USP?

#19 Jamiem

Jamiem

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 04:36 PM

View PostWandering_Ranger, on 04 August 2012 - 09:29 AM, said:

Shrek lasting is, I grant you, unlikely. However, that is immaterial, there are countless shows wanting to get into Dury Lane and Spiderman would be at the back of a long, long queue.
What is queuing up to go in to the Lane?!

#20 Jamiem

Jamiem

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 04:39 PM

View PostMusicalTalk, on 04 August 2012 - 09:01 AM, said:

Remember - we have much larger theatres than Broadway - we just take more structural care of our theatres.  

Broadway would kill for theatres that have the size of the Palladium, Apollo Victoria, Drury Lane, Dominion and Lyceum!  (They have Radio City Music Hall - but that's not really a commercial house).

The largest capacity on Broadway is the Gershwin - which seats 1,933.  All our large houses are over 2,000 seats.

The Shuberts take better care of their theatres than anyone and with less restricted views and better seats on less levels have a bigger financial capacities

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users