#11 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2542 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 09:39 AM

View PostLynette, on 31 August 2012 - 09:12 AM, said:

I see that they are restrictng supporters to four for this play. OOO ah, they must expect a deluge. Or is this just clever marketing/ I do admit I thought I would have to get the full four. I just find this very silly.

If every Supporter were to purchase four tickets, how many would be left onsale for Priority and Advance Members and for real people?

#12 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5150 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 12:45 PM

Well it's the Cottesloe so dunno. Not many?  I am real by the way. No one else on the board seems to think otherwise, HG.

#13 Latecomer

Latecomer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1668 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 02:12 PM

View PostLynette, on 31 August 2012 - 12:45 PM, said:

I am real by the way. No one else on the board seems to think otherwise, HG.

Real but rather magical too...... B)

#14 Alexandra

Alexandra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1780 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 02:22 PM

"Smacks of profit making"

Yes, it is profit making (or more accurately fund-raising). Why are people so surprised that theatres seize the opportunity of a popular production to raise funds? Why do people talk about memberships as if they have to get value for money out of them or else it's extortion? The main point of a membership scheme is to raise funds for the theatre/company, and you ought to feel a warm glow in reurn for your generosity, as well as whatever benefits they happen to offer.  People in this country just don't seem to get philanthropy. Nothing personal, Latecomer, it's just I see these comments time and time again about whether a membership scheme is value for money. It's not supposed to be - otherwise it wouldn't raise any money.

#15 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3760 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 02:41 PM

If they were purely after profit, they'd put this production in the Lyttelton- could sell out there, too, no doubt.

#16 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2542 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 02:53 PM

I agree with Alexandra that this has provided a good opportunity for Headlong to firm up some support by launching its Membership scheme. Pharaoh, Headlong doesn't programme the NT!

#17 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3760 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 03:03 PM

HG- sorry, I thought we were talking about the NT membership here.

#18 Latecomer

Latecomer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1668 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 03:09 PM

I agree with supporting a theatre company...it's just this is just a bit blatant....here's one production of ours that you actually might want to see, oh, it might sell out as it has a big name and is in a tiny theatre, ho hum, let's see....we can basically charge them all more to come (disguise it as a membership scheme). I wouldn't have minded so much if it had guaranteed priority booking for all their other productions but it doesn't! I think a membership scheme should be a long term support thing....not a short term way of basically charging more for tickets, disguised as a membership scheme! It is the lack of honesty that really annoys me here, I think!

#19 Alexandra

Alexandra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1780 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 03:45 PM

I agree that it seems odd that they don't offer priority booking for their other shows for a year, Late. They need to make this v clear and then you pays your money and you takes your choice, I guess.

Pharoah2, I wasn't suggesting that every decision the NT ever makes is solely motivated by profit, obviously. Then we'd have nothing but SRB doing monologues in the Olivier.

#20 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2542 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 04:00 PM

Alexandra, they do make it plain in the invitation to join. Headlong plays in very many theatres and I doubt that they could guarantee that they could negotiate priority booking for their members with each and every venue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users