100 replies to this topic

#61 AnnieInTheStalls

AnnieInTheStalls

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:09 AM

I feel rather out of step with everyone on this one. After seeing it on Saturday, I'm struggling to remember much about it, beyond Jonjo O'Neill's dance and Tom Goodman-Hill shouting "I left my children in a wood!". Actually, following that line there was an interminable, interminable, interminable scene, when I wanted to bang my head on the rail in front of me and yell "make it stop".

Oh but don't listen to me - I'm not sure theatre's agreeing with me this year. Perhaps the Magistrate on Friday will relight my fire!

#62 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:12 AM

There are definitely some "interminable, interminable, interminable" scenes - especially toward the end.
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#63 Abby

Abby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:35 AM

Despite being a priority NT member, I've failed in both booking periods to be speedy enough to get tickets for this (my own fault). However I thought Enron was a triumph of excellent direction over mediocre play-writing, so in spite of the reviews I'm not entirely distressed about missing her latest.

#64 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5144 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:36 PM

Thursday 22nd nov should be two tix. I sent mine back as no one here wanted them.

#65 Polly1

Polly1

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 04:46 PM

Before this disappears off the front page, just wanted to say how much I enjoyed it. I agree with above poster who said it appeals to regular theatre-goers (conversely my friend said the occasional theatre-goer would probably be left bemused!) OK, a couple of the scenes outstayed their welcome a bit, but the acting was superb (although Billie Piper will probably get all the kudos, I thought Anastasia Hille was stunningly good) and it was extremely thought-provoking on a number of levels. Plus, sitting downstairs in 'the waiting room' - the most comfortable seats ever in the Cottesloe!

#66 itsuckstobeme

itsuckstobeme

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:49 AM

I really enjoyed this, A very interesting premise for a play, well acted and I didn't realise it was going to be so funny. My only criticism would be the length, could easily be half an hour shorter, my mind did start to wander towards the end. Beautifully staged though.
Whilst I had been prepared for male nudity I hadn't bargained for said male becoming 'aroused'. Miss Piper should take that as a compliment.

#67 peggs

peggs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 08:29 PM

Saw this, this afternoon with Latecomer and Beth and we loved it - good first half and a blinder of a second, def left me thinking. Agree with Polly1 that Anastasia Hille was sublime, rather beautifully done by Miss Piper. Best month of theatre think I've seen taking in this, This House, The River, All That Fall and Hedda Gabler, will now have to save up for some more.

Oh and very few NT people around, we wandered round and round the second level for ages trying to find our seats, turns out they were all downstairs enjoying sitting and watching (and yes I was a little bit jealous of their better seats)

#68 Latecomer

Latecomer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1668 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 08:37 PM

Made me cry...second half just kept on piling on the pressure. Anastasia Hille extraordinary. Jonjo and Billie lovely. I got caught up in the second half and didn't think it dragged at all!
Agree with Peggs...stunning month of theatre.

#69 Latecomer

Latecomer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1668 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 08:52 PM

Oh and forgot...on a trivial note, several people downstairs on the comfy sofas seemed to have seats next to them specifically for their coats! A bit much when this is sold out for the entire run.

#70 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:35 PM

Maybe provision for coats, bags, etc has been necessary to avoid the cast tripping over things, if the audience members are are close to the action as it sounds?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users