100 replies to this topic

#81 Beth

Beth

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:04 PM

Some seats available, mostly weekdays in February, though some of the dates showing up as available are already sold out again, so be quick!

#82 jaqs

jaqs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:32 AM

Really enjoyed this last night, despite being in a very restricted view seat. Strong performances all round.

#83 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3754 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:19 AM

I was on a sofa banquette yesterday afternoon- nice and comfy, and wonderfully intimate. That said, I wasn't that keen on this. The play has some really interesting ideas and important questions asked - how we perceive mental illness, the nature of medical testing - but it all felt a bit lacklustre and messy. It was the staging I think, more than anything- not quite sure why. Some parts of the play are a bit far fetched- the tap-dancing (though good fun) and the ending..... overly-dramatic. A great idea (the final twist, as it were), but its consequences didn't hang true. A strong set of performances- wasn't sure about Jonjo O'Neill at first, but I warmed to him (though not his character). Anastasia Hille was stunning. The scenes between her and Piper were the highlight for me. I think I went in to it with too high expectations, after all the raves. Also, since Goold is the director, I was expecting something quite flashy with music and dancing. But it was nice to see his do something more restrained and small. Loved the fish!

#84 RH1234

RH1234

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 01:16 PM

Saw this last night, and thought it was incredible! Great acting all round, and what felt like a very important play. Far better than Prebble's Enron. Go see if you can.

#85 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 03:43 PM

I also saw this from a banquette seat in the pit at yesterday's matinee.  On the whole I liked it, and not at the expense of Enron - they are so different in every way - scale, treatment, subject matter, etc, that it's not an either/or for me, but I did feel this was a little too long and unfocused, as there were so many ideas crammed in that they couldn't all be followed up and properly debated.  Subtract just a couple and this would have been a leaner, stronger, more cohesive piece, but still lots to enjoy.  I could have done without the repetitive soundtrack and the pointless wristband; for me the ideas were strong enough to stand on their own.  I am however alarmed by PN2's mention of fish!  Much as I struggle to sit still, in the dark, and to concentrate for prolonged periods without nodding off, I honestly don't think I succumbed yesterday, yet I don't recall any fish!  Now wondering what I missed...

#86 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 03:58 PM

Maybe the cast of The Magistrate are playing amusing matinee tricks on them...

#87 Latecomer

Latecomer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1668 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:53 PM

View Postfringefan, on 21 December 2012 - 03:43 PM, said:

Much as I struggle to sit still, in the dark, and to concentrate for prolonged periods without nodding off, I honestly don't think I succumbed yesterday, yet I don't recall any fish!  Now wondering what I missed...

Glad it's not just me...I wondered if there was a tank of them, waiting room style, somewhere? If so I can't remember them!

#88 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3754 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:05 PM

Latecomer is right- it was one of those classy bowl tanks with lots of little (live) fish in, at the cupboard/magazine rack end of the space. Never referred to or anything-just thought it was a lovely bit of detail!

#89 peggs

peggs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:13 PM

Latecomer were you too busy a)trying to find our seats and then B) being hit by emotion to notice the fish? they were opposite end to us. that's got to be the first time i've noticed something you didn't. perhaps it was when i was avoiding looking at the brain.

#90 jaqs

jaqs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:23 PM

Being up top I could see the bowl but not if anything was in it, glad to know it was populated.

Agree the piece was a bit long, the second half did need more focus but I wouldnt know which strain to leave out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users